Northern Ireland Conflict

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cannot find it but a military analyst said this morning that one solution is for Ukraine to concede a small area of land that Russia wants on their joint border - that way Russia will not lose face and UKR will keep the majority of its land - unsure how much land would need to be given over but at this point in time I would go for that and let everything go back to, an uneasy, cease fire Not ideal I know but it could stop it quickly and I am no expert but could it be this simple in order to resolve without any more deaths 😢
Ireland surrendered it’s 6 Northern counties to Britain and look how that went. They wanted the North because it had good farm land, booming linen and ship building industries. 100 years later, thousands killed and Ireland still isn’t free. I don’t think Putin could be trusted to stop there but maybe it will come down to something like that if Ukraine start to lose their grip.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Ireland surrendered it’s 6 Northern counties to Britain and look how that went. They wanted the North because it had good farm land, booming linen and ship building industries. 100 years later, thousands killed and Ireland still isn’t free. I don’t think Putin could be trusted to stop there but maybe it will come down to something like that if Ukraine start to lose their grip.
It's a bit more layered than saying look how that went.

It's a horrendous situation in Ireland (I'm part Irish) and complex and weaved with religion, politics and hundreds of years 'occupation' by Britain. (Not just down to ship building and farm land being the motivator to keep the area the UK did)

Various facets of the country are been responsible for violence and death.

Reactions: 9
It's a bit more layered than saying look how that went.

It's a horrendous situation in Ireland (I'm Irish) and complex and weaved with religion, politics and hundreds of years 'occupation' by Britain.

Various facets of the country are been responsible for violence and death.
I know I can’t compare it directly, there hasn’t been a situation quite like this one. Was merely making the point that surrendering part of it’s land to Russia will not free Ukraine, quite the opposite.

Exactly what I thought - the people in Northern Ireland are not free and sadly I don’t think they ever will be. I hope the Ukraine don’t have to resort to similar….. the republic never thought that NI was going to be gone forever.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I know I can’t compare it directly, there hasn’t been a situation quite like this one. Was merely making the point that surrendering part of it’s land to Russia will not free Ukraine, quite the opposite.
Tbf if UK did start rolling tanks down from NI I think they'd face a pretty similar resistance here even now. :D

Exactly there will never be rest in the Ukraine if they do that. Because Putin wants it all and will just go after it in future.

Reactions: 6
Yes I understand and actually could be a good comparison. I mean the UK used Ireland as a cash cow for several hundred years and through various policies the country suffered horrendously through a famine.

It's complex (though I feel it really is.) With layers of religion (protestant NI- which is the left over British element) Politics (surrendering several counties to remain under British rule) years of civil unrest a d generations now that strongly identify as one side or another. Can't ever see a solution being found.

I'm sure someone on here is more knowledgeable about it a than me though. As I'm so torn between it all being born in the UK and having Irish family.

And it'sa topic that can't ever be discussed between my family

Either way though occupation by force can never be allowed or forgiven.

Reactions: 7
Its a hard one to discuss, I would travel up North for shopping and other stuff, there's a looooootttt of places I wouldn't visit with my RoI reg now.
I think a lot of people forget how recent it was, I'm not old( well I don't class myself as old :D ) but I've been taken off buses as a kid by armed soldiers and our bus checked for bombs underneath, we wouldn't talk out loud really either, given the accents.
Even now (I'm not sure how common this is in the rest of the UK) but it can be intimidating and sorta PTSD-y driving up north and certain areas are marked out by Union Jacks and the kerbsides painted to denote the areas.
Don't get me wrong I've travelled up and loved the North and felt totally safe 90% of the time, but there's still a PTSD-y hangover, and I grew up as it was trailing off.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Yes I understand and actually could be a good comparison. I mean the UK used Ireland as a cash cow for several hundred years and through various policies the country suffered horrendously through a famine.

It's complex (though I feel it really is.) With layers of religion (protestant NI- which is the left over British element) Politics (surrendering several counties to remain under British rule) years of civil unrest a d generations now that strongly identify as one side or another. Can't ever see a solution being found.

I'm sure someone on here is more knowledgeable about it a than me though. As I'm so torn between it all being born in the UK and having Irish family.

And it'sa topic that can't ever be discussed between my family

Either way though occupation by force can never be allowed or forgiven.
It’s thought that Michael Collins signed the Anglo Irish treaty with the belief that he’d regain the North down the line, he was murdered shortly after signing it so who knows if he’d ever have achieved it or not. If you can forgive Julia Roberts’ attempt at an Irish accent the Michael Collins film is a good watch.
For what’s it worth I do believe Ireland will vote for reunification one day but that’s another story. I really hope Ukraine stand strong against Russia, to sacrifice even an inch of land would be surrendering it all. Putin will get his little Cuban heeled feet under the table and be the unwanted guest that never goes home.

Its a hard one to discuss, I would travel up North for shopping and other stuff, there's a looooootttt of places I wouldn't visit with my RoI reg now.
I think a lot of people forget how recent it was, I'm not old( well I don't class myself as old :D ) but I've been taken off buses as a kid by armed soldiers and our bus checked for bombs underneath, we wouldn't talk out loud really either, given the accents.
Even now (I'm not sure how common this is in the rest of the UK) but it can be intimidating and sorta PTSD-y driving up north and certain areas are marked out by Union Jacks and the kerbsides painted to denote the areas.
Don't get me wrong I've travelled up and loved the North and felt totally safe 90% of the time, but there's still a PTSD-y hangover, and I grew up as it was trailing off.
People that live in the same town wouldn’t cross the line by venturing into certain areas displaying emblems of whatever side they to come from unless they’re looking for trouble , I could see how intimidating it could be for outsiders .

Reactions: 4
It’s thought that Michael Collins signed the Anglo Irish treaty with the belief that he’d regain the North down the line, he was murdered shortly after signing it so who knows if he’d ever have achieved it or not. If you can forgive Julia Roberts’ attempt at an Irish accent the Michael Collins film is a good watch.
For what’s it worth I do believe Ireland will vote for reunification one day but that’s another story. I really hope Ukraine stand strong against Russia, to sacrifice even an inch of land would be surrendering it all. Putin will get his little Cuban heeled feet under the table and be the unwanted guest that never goes home.
Can NEVER forgive a dodgy attempt at an Irish accent 😉

I believe time will heal and unification could be within reach. The blocker here would be the UK Govt.

Anyway another day for the poor people of thr Ukraine and no let up for them.

I'm finding it more difficult to lay and sleep.peacefully thinking of them not having the same luxury.

I can pray all I like and stand for them but feel helpless.

Reactions: 5
Can NEVER forgive a dodgy attempt at an Irish accent 😉

I believe time will heal and unification could be within reach. The blocker here would be the UK Govt.

Anyway another day for the poor people of thr Ukraine and no let up for them.

I'm finding it more difficult to lay and sleep.peacefully thinking of them not having the same luxury.

I can pray all I like and stand for them but feel helpless.
The Good Friday agreement states that a referendum on reunification must be held if there’s adequate evidence that it would be supported by the majority. They can’t block it just like they couldn’t stop the Scottish Independence Referendum.

Reactions: 7
People that live in the same town wouldn’t cross the line by venturing into certain areas displaying emblems of whatever side they to come from unless they’re looking for trouble , I could see how intimidating it could be for outsiders .
I don't come from Northern Ireland but our home town was bombed twice and it had an affect on me for years. My husbands friend was killed in one of those attacks.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I don't come from Northern Ireland but our home town was bombed twice and it had an affect on me for years. My husbands friend was killed in one of those attacks.
Yeah there's been a lot of casualties over the years ,war is futile you only have to look close to home to see that , the affects can last a lifetime ;(

Reactions: 1
I grew up in Belfast. Maybe we are similar ages, I was born in 1980. My childhood was not so dissimilar.

I hope you have received appropriate help to help you process things.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sein Fèin reckon they'll have the majority vote come the next election and that’s going to bring about a united Ireland, still can’t see many wanting it , although apparently a unification referendum isn’t needed in the south if the majority of the north vote for it .

Reactions: 2
I'm from Northern Ireland and I can't see majority vote for a united Ireland happening soon. And wouldn't be voting for it myself.

• Heart
I'm not too sure how the health ,benefits or tax system works in the south but I think they've got it too cushy in the north to give that up ,the south wouldn't want to support us northeners either.

Reactions: 12
I'm confused....I thought I was on the Ukraine thread but my comments are here. 🤷‍♀️🤔

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.