No spend month

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have tried but I end up forgetting! Think I will try a no spend May.Bit then maybe not as I get my student finance then and have a Trafford Centre shopping trip plannedšŸ˜‚ suppose I could set a budget for the trip, then the rest no spend x

Reactions: 1
I survived the shops yesterday ! didnā€™t buy anything for myself apart from a coffee and a cookie at starbucks !

Reactions: 6
Does anyone know of any good sites to sell on books? This thread has inspired me to declutter and make a bit of money where I can. Iā€™ve tried zapper but their return isnā€™t great
I did this years ago on music magpie, I got about Ā£50 for books, CDs DVDs. Per item it wasnā€™t much but together it was a nice amount! Itā€™s easy too, you download an app and scan the barcode on the item, it automatically uploads the details and gives you an instant price. They send you a box free post delivery to send off, was pretty easy.

Iā€™ve not been great this month, first 9 days I didnā€™t spend a penny then slowly but surely here and there with life getting back to normal Iā€™ve slipped in to buying unnecessarily. Iā€™m not going to punish myself for it, waited months to see people so Iā€™m going to enjoy the coffee with friends etc.

Next month I am going away for a week so I might do a no spend month except the week away to keep me focused. What Iā€™m really bad at is, just because I have an excuse like a week away or someoneā€™s birthday, the rest of the month is a write off! I need to change that mentality. One spendy week doesnā€™t allow me to nip in B&M or browse H&M for stuff I donā€™t need!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Oh hell. I need to do this. I have started getting things delivered to work so my husband stops asking me what I've ordered now šŸ™ˆ

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I went to primark last night for basics (essentials - like a pack of underwear, cotton wool wipes, basic black T-shirt and vest ) but I felt so guilty. Didnā€™t do a crazy amount of damage so compared to my last trip there January 2020 when I spent an eye watering Ā£150 -200 this is āœØgrowthāœØ

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Iā€™m about to try again and embark on a complete no spend month for the entire April 2021.

has anyone completed a no spend or low spend month, week, or even year?

Iā€™m banning myself on buying cleaning products, food (using up all pantry, cupboard items until theyā€™re gone and the freezer), clothing and beauty items.
How did you get on?

This is a brilliant idea. Youā€™ve all inspired me. I canā€™t do a full month in May as I have lots of plans so Iā€™m going to try to do a week. I know itā€™s not a lot but I waste money every day on crap I donā€™t need. If I can do a week Iā€™m sure it will spur me on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
My Amazon /eBay habit needs curbing.If I like something I put it in the wish list and can pick 1 item at the end of the month. It's working so far. When I go to Primark I'm going to start doing a list instead of buying randomly.

Still no takeaways for us. Almost 3 months and we're not even bothered now
I have how ever bought 4 Christmas gifts this month but they were crazy bargains!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
How did you get on?
Iā€™ve done really well so far thank you! Iā€™ve allowed things like petrol food (although limited eating mainly whatā€™s at home) I did do a primark shop but it was mainly basics. I went into TKMaxx the other day and simply went in and returned my things no looking around and didnā€™t buy anything! I will be ending mine this Friday as I started a bit earlier (March payday). Iā€™ve realised I spend a lot money filling voids or emotions. Will keep certain aspects such as really asking myself if I need things/ clothes. are you trying it?

Reactions: 7
Iā€™ve done really well so far thank you! Iā€™ve allowed things like petrol food (although limited eating mainly whatā€™s at home) I did do a primark shop but it was mainly basics. I went into TKMaxx the other day and simply went in and returned my things no looking around and didnā€™t buy anything! I will be ending mine this Friday as I started a bit earlier (March payday). Iā€™ve realised I spend a lot money filling voids or emotions. Will keep certain aspects such as really asking myself if I need things/ clothes. are you trying it?
So good, well done! I love carrying over certain aspects like questioning myself before buying or using up stuff, itā€™s all beneficial to my purse šŸ‘›

That is really good. Yes I am going to try it in May, see how much I save.

It's my son's 17th birthday, last night he asked for an Indian Takeaway for his birthday tea šŸ˜±šŸ˜± I was going to cook. šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚ Devastated I am breaking my no takeaway rule! šŸ˜«

I was a bit naughty and bought 2 reduced frames when doing my Tesco shop for Ā£6. In the process of some decorating and not quite at the ā€œdressing stage thoughā€.
Iā€™ve stuck to bringing lunch to work and continuing to use up food from the cupboards.

Im gonna do this for may, luckily I paid off two loans for the month of April so will be putting that money straight into savings for may onwards šŸ¤žšŸ» Along with not buying stuff for the sake of it.

Reactions: 4
Update : so Iā€™m doing well but not perfect

last weekend my husband and I had a Pizza Hut takeaway which he technically did pay for , but was still a treat that was an unnecessary spend as we did have food in the house

weā€™ve been out to eat twice but the first time my in laws treated us so really only once we had to pay which isnā€™t too bad I guess

the only thing Iā€™ve bought is a tupperware from Tesco (I know , wild!!)

I havenā€™t bought any clothes , any make up , any takeaway coffees .. so even though I havenā€™t been perfect , I have been pretty good !

Reactions: 9
Who else is trying again this month? I forgot my lunch on Tuesday and bought a meal deal going to try to bring lunch for the rest of the month though.

April was a write off for me so I'm starting over. So far besides bills and food I haven't spent anything which is great for me. My food bill is down as well as I'm trying to waste money on treats I don't need. Hoping I can continue and save a bit over the month.

Reactions: 2