No spend month

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh you've talked me in to it. My whole bathroom is plain white and just plain so need something to give it abit of life and colour.
The Vaspar sample paint pots I think I paid £4.99 for one of those in B&Q, so £1 for a roll of wallpaper that you love is justified and a bargain!

I like this but at £395 a roll it’s a no. (I know people will say it’s awful, but I’m a maximalist!) 🐅

EE511391-B2E3-4679-ACF2-241CE5BB3D97.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The Vaspar sample paint pots I think I paid £4.99 for one of those in B&Q, so £1 for a roll of wallpaper that you love is justified and a bargain!

I like this but at £395 a roll it’s a no. (I know people will say it’s awful, but I’m a maximalist!) 🐅

View attachment 1894123
I've got versace wallpaper in our bedroom. 😂😂😂😂. I know some people will think it's tacky but we love it. 😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've been going by 15.01-15.02 and it started off well but I caved and bought a couple of books online yesterday :cry:

BUT my main goal is to stop going out to buy lunches at work which I have achieved all this week so far 🥳 it's the small victories!

I had a lad come round a few weeks ago to wallpaper my stairs for me.... I love a bit of tacky decor myself and I didn't know what he was going to think, so as I handed him the paper I said 'I'm not sure if I'm the same person I was when I bought this, I know it's a bit tacky...' to which he replied that he has his whole house done in the same style, hahah! I felt like a right tit then!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Out of interest I've just had a look at back at what I've spent 'unnecessarily' so far this month.
£45.47 on coffees/cakes/lunches out. Bit disappointed, but I did meet a friend for lunch which made up more than half that cost, and we only see each other every other month.
£15 on a candle, bought with said friend above, total mind lapse.
£10 between a couple of work collections

I've actually saved just over £500 since Christmas, that's why I'm skint 😂

Reactions: 4
Hows everyone doing?

I've not bought a single work day lunch so far this month. Determined to make it to the end and treat myself on the 1st 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Hows everyone doing?

I've not bought a single work day lunch so far this month. Determined to make it to the end and treat myself on the 1st 😂
I did so well last week but I cracked this week and went out to eat with some friends
😭 In Fairness it was 50% off the restaurant so Im convincing myself I saved some money 😂

Reactions: 4
17/26 days this month have been no spend, including weekly food shop (x2) as a spend day bc i buy wants as well as needs, but overall pretty impressed with myself!

Reactions: 7
I cracked early… and I’m such an all or nothing person so once I cracked I was like this:

But it’s pay day today so I’ve already moved all that money into my second account and left only a small “allowance” in my first account and I am starting again for February ❤

• Haha
I was doing this from pay day to pay day for Jan-Feb, I get paid at weird time in the month. And I started so well, then spent £70 on a new shelving unit and £130 on tickets to see Sister Act the Musical/Cirque: The Greatest Show/Mind Mangler. The first in September, the latter two in the next couple of months.

It's like the floodgates opened. 😆

But the justification is I did put £1000 into savings on payday, so it's not like I haven't done good already this month in terms of saving money.

I know someone who had sex with his missis. Got the morning after pill. Same thing happened again - that'll be £30 for your pill please miss. 😂😂😂😂
Really? I got the morning after pill for free in boots. I was expecting to pay for it and everything, but the pharmacist took me into a room, asked me a bunch of questions and said “if I get you some water, can you take the pill now?” I assume so she knows I’m not buying it for someone else. I said yeah sure, in my mind I’m wondering, shouldn’t I pay for it first? Anyway I took it and she goes “that’s everything then” so I just walked away 😂😂😂

Reactions: 1
I cracked early… and I’m such an all or nothing person so once I cracked I was like this:

But it’s pay day today so I’ve already moved all that money into my second account and left only a small “allowance” in my first account and I am starting again for February ❤
I'm the exact same! I was doing so well as last month until the 21st then I cracked and spent hundreds on unnecessary rubbish! On the plus side, I have now fully paid off my credit card and last month I might not have saved anything but I didn't dip into savings or put anything on credit, which is something worth celebrating I suppose.

Just done my weekly food shop for £53 which I think is pretty good going - didn't buy anything unnecessary! Might have to get off my arse and go to Lidl to get it even cheaper but I think I'm happy to pay a bit more for the convenience of delivery 😂 Why is toilet paper suddenly about £20 for a few rolls though?! It might be cheaper to just get a bidet put in and sack off loo roll!

No spending unnecessary spending here so far but to be fair it is only the 2nd so I shouldn't be too proud of myself.

I set out with the intentions to do no spend in January and failed spectacularly, even logging everything, I have about 3 Boohoo orders, 2 Vinted purchases, a LookFantastic order and a holiday staring at me from my tracker. I have zero self control and make excuses for everything. I could kick myself… but then I’d probably order myself something to make up for it 😭

• Haha
I set out with the intentions to do no spend in January and failed spectacularly, even logging everything, I have about 3 Boohoo orders, 2 Vinted purchases, a LookFantastic order and a holiday staring at me from my tracker. I have zero self control and make excuses for everything. I could kick myself… but then I’d probably order myself something to make up for it 😭
I relate to you so much. The best of intentions lead us down the worst of paths.

For me it's like I need a little bit of spending, as a fix, and the excitement of the delivery, just to keep me going.

• Heart
I relate to you so much. The best of intentions lead us down the worst of paths.

For me it's like I need a little bit of spending, as a fix, and the excitement of the delivery, just to keep me going.
I wish I could be strict! I feel like I just need to treat myself all the time and the only time I don’t is when I have no money left which is usually about 2 weeks before I get paid. It’s so stressful!

I wish I could be strict! I feel like I just need to treat myself all the time and the only time I don’t is when I have no money left which is usually about 2 weeks before I get paid. It’s so stressful!
I used to be like this, then I gradually had a word with myself and worked on making me happier instead of relying on things to give me happiness. I used to treat myself everytime I had a bad day, or an argument with a particular family member etc. I’m not saying it’s the same for you, but maybe think about what triggers you to need the treats?

The other side of the coin is that if you can afford it, are not building up debt etc then it’s hardly the worst thing you could be doing. And there’s always a return option :)

• Heart
I used to be like this, then I gradually had a word with myself and worked on making me happier instead of relying on things to give me happiness. I used to treat myself everytime I had a bad day, or an argument with a particular family member etc. I’m not saying it’s the same for you, but maybe think about what triggers you to need the treats?

The other side of the coin is that if you can afford it, are not building up debt etc then it’s hardly the worst thing you could be doing. And there’s always a return option :)
Good on you, it’s hard to resist! I tend to just think of something or see something I want and go off to purchase it and it’s gotten worse since I’ve had Clearpay, yesterday for example I went to purchase a £40 camera (Kodak one you put film in and get them developed like the good old days) and then thought what are you doing you idiot just stop! It’s like an urgency of I NEED it when realistically I do not. I’ve been so broke this month I think the penny has dropped, I worked out all my spending through Clearpay and I spent £2500 last year on it - had I not have used it I probably wouldn’t have bought most of the stuff. I felt sick. I’ve taken a good hard look at everything I have and realised I defo don’t need anymore stuff and I need to look after money or I’ll be living like this when I’m 40. The funny thing is, I’m not stupid, I know how to budget and I know what I should do but I just go stupid whenever I get something in my head to buy. Having Clearpay helps to split all these purchases up which makes me rationalise unnecessary spending… No more!! I have £9k of debt (reduced from 21k in the last 18 months) so this is where I need to focus. I’ve been in these cycles since I was 18, I’ve gotten slightly better but I need to be stricter for sure.

• Heart
Good on you, it’s hard to resist! I tend to just think of something or see something I want and go off to purchase it and it’s gotten worse since I’ve had Clearpay, yesterday for example I went to purchase a £40 camera (Kodak one you put film in and get them developed like the good old days) and then thought what are you doing you idiot just stop! It’s like an urgency of I NEED it when realistically I do not. I’ve been so broke this month I think the penny has dropped, I worked out all my spending through Clearpay and I spent £2500 last year on it - had I not have used it I probably wouldn’t have bought most of the stuff. I felt sick. I’ve taken a good hard look at everything I have and realised I defo don’t need anymore stuff and I need to look after money or I’ll be living like this when I’m 40. The funny thing is, I’m not stupid, I know how to budget and I know what I should do but I just go stupid whenever I get something in my head to buy. Having Clearpay helps to split all these purchases up which makes me rationalise unnecessary spending… No more!! I have £9k of debt (reduced from 21k in the last 18 months) so this is where I need to focus. I’ve been in these cycles since I was 18, I’ve gotten slightly better but I need to be stricter for sure.
Well done on reducing the debt so much, that’s a huge achievement!

I don’t think any of us are stupid, the marketing for most of the non essentials we buy is very cleverly designed to make us want it all, and want it now. The undertone is that we deserve it - L’Oréals line “because I’m worth it”, Nikes “just do it”; the design of the likes of beauty bay, cult beauty, the special offers, free delivery over a certain spend and then the introduction of clearpay as you point out, next day delivery - it’s all there to suck us in. I can’t fathom paying for a bottle of foundation (as an example) on Klarna for 3 months when it’s used up after 2 🤣

At one stage I had to throw out over £900 worth of non usable make up & skincare. Yes I calculated it, and yes I cried. I think it was a turning point for me in realising my spending was chaotic - and I also had the ever growing credit card to support it, as well as nowhere to put it!

• Heart
Reactions: 6