Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Stronger together? Unionists have had nearly a decade to prove a case for this and have offered nothing expect empty promises, brexit. More austerity and just a blatant joke of a government
Under the SNP we have:
The highest drug death rate in Europe
Education standards slipping at an incredible rate.
An NHS being brought to its knees.
Two ferries costing millions but still not a reality,
A children‘s hospital that cost millions and was delayed repeatedly not to mention all the scandals.
”Missing“ party money
An FM who was proven to have misled the Scottish government.
A former FM with multiple sexual assault charges.
MSPs messaging young boys inappropriate images and still keeping their cushy jobs.
embezzlement within the party.
Spreading covid on trains at the height of the pandemic.
One of the highest income tax rates, possibly the highest in the U.K.
An increase in all types of poverty consistently since the snp have been in power.
Surveys asking children how many times they have participated in anal sex and how many partners they have had.
A complete disregard for women and girls rights.

I could go on?

The Government is not perfect, I can’t stand Boris Johnson and I’m not keen on his replacement. However this isn’t about them. This is about our administration that calls itself a Government. Education and health are devolved issues. Why does everything the snp touch turn to tit? Perhaps it’s because they aren’t focused on the Day to day issues that affect us all but are too busy covering up scandals and telling lies knowing they won’t be questioned whilst moaning that everything is the fault of Westminister and trying to stir up hatred. At the height of covid where did we get our funding from? The U.K. government. Our Government. She wasn’t too proud to go cap in hand and ask for more money then, happy to accept help then even when it was getting to the point of Scotland having more lockdowns than England just because she could do that. But of course England had to pay for that of course.

Sturgeon once said ‘Judge me on my record” and I have. And evidence shows she is failing Scotland. Again, the U.K. government has many skeletons in its closet but so do the SNP and its under their power that is affecting me personally And my loved ones. The Tories are a different arguement for a different day.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Under the SNP we have:
A children‘s hospital that cost millions and was delayed repeatedly not to mention all the scandals.
”Missing“ party money
MSPs messaging young boys inappropriate images and still keeping their cushy jobs.
An increase in all types of poverty consistently since the snp have been in power.
Surveys asking children how many times they have participated in anal sex and how many partners they have had.

I could go on?

The Government is not perfect, I can’t stand Boris Johnson and I’m not keen on his replacement. However this isn’t about them. This is about our administration that calls itself a Government. Education and health are devolved issues. Why does everything the snp touch turn to tit? Perhaps it’s because they aren’t focused on the Day to day issues that affect us all but are too busy covering up scandals and telling lies knowing they won’t be questioned whilst moaning that everything is the fault of Westminister and trying to stir up hatred. At the height of covid where did we get our funding from? The U.K. government. Our Government. She wasn’t too proud to go cap in hand and ask for more money then, happy to accept help then even when it was getting to the point of Scotland having more lockdowns than England just because she could do that. But of course England had to pay for that of course.

Sturgeon once said ‘Judge me on my record” and I have. And evidence shows she is failing Scotland. Again, the U.K. government has many skeletons in its closet but so do the SNP and its under their power that is affecting me personally And my loved ones. The Tories are a different arguement for a different day.
add to the list the census! she botched up that!

Reactions: 3
Under the SNP we have:
”Missing“ party money

I could go on?

FFS how many times do we need to say this, Scottish independence isn't just about the SNP, its about self determination for Scotland.

When we get independence, we (hopefully) will get parties who will start to address these issues.

But I know one thing for certain, there's no betterment for normal people in the UK. Our only way is down.

Reactions: 7
FFS how many times do we need to say this, Scottish independence isn't just about the SNP, its about self determination for Scotland.

When we get independence, we (hopefully) will get parties who will start to address these issues.

But I know one thing for certain, there's no betterment for normal people in the UK. Our only way is down.
There’s no way if independence happened, that Nicola Sturgeon would just step aside and let another party lead. She’s on a power trip.

Reactions: 4

One of the purposes of the Scottish Parliament was that we where meant to have more consensus politics as no one party could have control. Indeed in the beginning this happened with the 7 parties that where represented along with a coalition government. We are now controlled by a de facto president as the party on the whole is keep on the whip and the decentralised control of the SNP has been abolished returning instead to the NEC. We have completely toothless committees which simply vote across party line rather than hold people to account. Nicole Sturgeon conducts press conferences in the style of Donald Trump - any journalist who dares ask hard questions is belittled or ignored.

Why do all our problems of which they are many have to wait until independence? The answer most Nationalists will give is we have full powers then.
However will this suddenly mean you will reform the NHS that has steadily got worse since 2007 which you seem happy with because its not as shite as Englands?
Will our education system which was once envied but has been hidden from the world from the withdrawal from PISA suddenly improve?
Will out bloated public sector at 24% of the workforce extend to 30% and how will that be paid for?

We are already going down with the SNP....how further will we go down with them in an independent Scotland that has complained about Brexit which has impacted 16% of our trade deal with it impacting 48% of our trade with our biggest partner with the resultant currency fluctuations.

Scotland determined its future in 2014

Reactions: 9

who is we? i'm Scottish and you do not speak for me!

Reactions: 12
There’s no way if independence happened, that Nicola Sturgeon would just step aside and let another party lead. She’s on a power trip.
One of the purposes of the Scottish Parliament was that we where meant to have more consensus politics as no one party could have control. Indeed in the beginning this happened with the 7 parties that where represented along with a coalition government. We are now controlled by a de facto president as the party on the whole is keep on the whip and the decentralised control of the SNP has been abolished returning instead to the NEC. We have completely toothless committees which simply vote across party line rather than hold people to account. Nicole Sturgeon conducts press conferences in the style of Donald Trump - any journalist who dares ask hard questions is belittled or ignored.

Why do all our problems of which they are many have to wait until independence? The answer most Nationalists will give is we have full powers then.
However will this suddenly mean you will reform the NHS that has steadily got worse since 2007 which you seem happy with because its not as shite as Englands?
Will our education system which was once envied but has been hidden from the world from the withdrawal from PISA suddenly improve?
Will out bloated public sector at 24% of the workforce extend to 30% and how will that be paid for?

We are already going down with the SNP....how further will we go down with them in an independent Scotland that has complained about Brexit which has impacted 16% of our trade deal with it impacting 48% of our trade with our biggest partner with the resultant currency fluctuations.

Scotland determined its future in 2014
Exactly. She’s not going to step aside. it would just be more control over our lives. She is unlikely to get voted out. The people of Scotland said no. And the cult need to deal with it and move on.

None of the issues I’ve mentioned are going to magically get better If we declare
independence. Going independent would also ruin our economy and normal Scottish people would suffer. Going by their track record I wouldn’t trust them to run a country on their own. They have proved they can’t do it currently and that’s only having a number of devolved issues. That’s screwing up Scotland. Sturgeon isn’t going to step aside if she got independence, she would be hailed as a queen for giving scotland freedom from the nasty English.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Nicole Sturgeon conducts press conferences in the style of Donald Trump - any journalist who dares ask hard questions is belittled or ignored.
I remember when she went on a mini-rant about Boris and Trump being populists , I nearly spat-out my tea, can she not see that she's just the same? Using divisive rhetoric to stir-up anti-English/Tory sentiment, usually amongst the very poorest and least educated sections of society. Surely she can't be that lacking self-awareness? I myself don't think she's as bad as Boris or Trump, but ... come on.

Reactions: 9
I remember when she went on a mini-rant about Boris and Trump being populists , I nearly spat-out my tea, can she not see that she's just the same? Using divisive rhetoric to stir-up anti-English/Tory sentiment, usually amongst the very poorest and least educated sections of society. Surely she can't be that lacking self-awareness? I myself don't think she's as bad as Boris or Trump, but ... come on.
honestly it was extremely ugly living through the events of the referendum 2014! whole families and friendships were ripped apart and still suffering the consequences, I know I was appalled at the bigotry and hate I witnessed

Reactions: 8
who is we? i'm Scottish and you do not speak for me!
True!!! But for some reason, the majority of people I know are now Yes.

The last time, Yes was a minority. Not now!!! I work in an office of 20 people. 3 people are No. The rest are Yes.

And the thing that amazed me, one of the most staunch No voters (she threatened to move to England if it was Yes last time) recently came out and said that she was considering voting Yes if a vote happens.

The reason for her change of heart - she's got grandchildren now.

Also, we work with older people - last time it was No all the way. Now, many more are Yes.

This is all anecdotal and my own personal experience.

You may move in difference circles.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Anyone with more than two braincells would realise independence is a bad idea but when you are living under a dictatorship it is hard to see

True!!! But for some reason, the majority of people I know are now Yes.

The last time, Yes was a minority. Not now!!! I work in an office of 20 people. 3 people are No. The rest are Yes.

And the thing that amazed me, one of the most staunch No voters (she threatened to move to England if it was Yes last time) recently came out and said that she was considering voting Yes if a vote happens.

The reason for her change of heart - she's got grandchildren now.

Also, we work with older people - last time it was No all the way. Now, many more are Yes.

This is all anecdotal and my own personal experience.

You may move in difference circles.
Why would her having grandchildren make her want to vote yes when the next at least ten years and upto 60 based on forecasts after an independence vote would be a complete nightmare for the people of Scotland and push them into poverty.

Last edited:
What I have noticed is how bloody personally people take any criticism of ‘Nicola’ . Even when we were in England on holiday and spoke to people the atmosphere totally changed when we both said how awful Scotland is now and that it’s not the wonderful world people think it is . And in Scotland itself people actually fall out with you for daring to point out any of the many faults the SNP have . I don’t have any strong political allegiance at all but I do follow a certain football team and if anyone criticised them I wouldn’t fall out with the person or make the atmosphere turn sour . There is no culture of debate at all.

What I have noticed is how bloody personally people take any criticism of ‘Nicola’ . Even when we were in England on holiday and spoke to people the atmosphere totally changed when we both said how awful Scotland is now and that it’s not the wonderful world people think it is . And in Scotland itself people actually fall out with you for daring to point out any of the many faults the SNP have . I don’t have any strong political allegiance at all but I do follow a certain football team and if anyone criticised them I wouldn’t fall out with the person or make the atmosphere turn sour . There is no culture of debate at all.
Yes I have noticed this. The fawning over her is bizarre. I have a friend who is teacher and he is a staunch SNP supporter and the comments he makes about how wonderful a person Nicola is I cannot fathom. He doesn’t know her personally. When people commented on the story when she was pictured without a mask on at a funeral when masks were mandatory anyone would think they were criticising him. I don’t understand why he took it so personally.

I think it does depend on what circles you move in with regards to how you vote. Where I live everyone I know personally is a no vote and that hasn’t changed. Everyone is just sick of the threat of another referendum.

Reactions: 5
Oh agreed her cult are completely brainwashed.

Thankfully anyone I know and associate with can’t stand her, the hate from a lot of people regarding her has intensified following her nightmare covid rules which pushed everyone to the brink of insanity.

I never understand either why her party is able to harbour sexual predators like Patrick Grady yet if a Tory done this she would be screaming from the rooftops

Reactions: 6
Yes I have noticed this. The fawning over her is bizarre. I have a friend who is teacher and he is a staunch SNP supporter and the comments he makes about how wonderful a person Nicola is I cannot fathom. He doesn’t know her personally. When people commented on the story when she was pictured without a mask on at a funeral when masks were mandatory anyone would think they were criticising him. I don’t understand why he took it so personally.

I think it does depend on what circles you move in with regards to how you vote. Where I live everyone I know personally is a no vote and that hasn’t changed. Everyone is just sick of the threat of another referendum.
Most of my family are No voters as are most of my friends but there are a few Yes in there and my work colleagues are never by moaning about the Tories and one said when her grandparents died the good thing would be two less tories in the world ! Probably controversial but the family and friends I have who don’t work and claim state support all love Nicola mainly .

Most of my family are No voters as are most of my friends but there are a few Yes in there and my work colleagues are never by moaning about the Tories and one said when her grandparents died the good thing would be two less tories in the world ! Probably controversial but the family and friends I have who don’t work and claim state support all love Nicola mainly .
It baffles me why SNP supporters are so obsessed with Tories when they have no power or say in how Scotland is run on a day to day basis yet they still get the blame for things going wrong like healthcare and mass drugs / alcohol problems which is fully her responsibility.

If anything the Tories have done good for Scotland handing over billions in furlough money

• Heart
  • Haha
It baffles me why SNP supporters are so obsessed with Tories when they have no power or say in how Scotland is run on a day to day basis yet they still get the blame for things going wrong like healthcare and mass drugs / alcohol problems which is fully her responsibility.

If anything the Tories have done good for Scotland handing over billions in furlough money
I know ! I don’t see any of the Tory hating SnP fans I know knocking back their cost of livings payments !

Everyone has to take a side in the culture wars, haven't you heard? And once you've picked your side you have to put your fingers in your ears and shout: 'la-la-la-la-la I can't hear you'. :rolleyes:

So I’m half Scottish and maybe I should know this but I’ve lived in England since I was 15. My dad is English.

Independence means independence right? They no longer get money from Westminster and London and they have to support themselves financially.

I seem to recall Nicola is often quick to call for money from Westminster when it’s needed but what’s her plan if she does get independence?

I’m not trying to pick a fight but surely it’s all or nothing and can Scotland survive without money it gets from being part of the U.K.?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.