New baby and post birth advice #45 Tell her you’re trying to stretch her out & she will get it in an hour

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please can someone give me some advice regarding postpartum weight loss?
I’m not ready to start doing anything yet other than trying to eat enough so I’m able to survive nighttime feeding etc, and exercise stretches as far as the little walks to get us out the house. But I would eventually like to look into losing my baby weight. At what point do you think it’s no longer water/blood/swelling from baby and instead fat? How long after birth would it be reasonable enough to weigh myself and think yep, that’s all me, and start my journey?

Reactions: 2
thank you. When I look back to postpartum with my older boy as well I can see the signs were there but again I’m always good at writing off as something else, back then it was first time mum, pandemic etc. I really need to pluck up the courage but of course I’m terrified of being judged, don’t want anyone to think I can’t look after my kids the list goes on 😞
I don't have PND experience, but I have experience of realising I was depressed and had work-related stress that was having a huge negative impact on my life. It was really out of character for me so I kept powering through thinking "I'm sure it's just a phase, it'll get better soon", until I realised I'd been barely coping for months and needed to get support. I had a therapy assessment and then six sessions, and it was like a huge weight had been lifted - I wish I'd contacted them sooner. Please don't let the fear of being judged put you off - the priority is for you to get support to help you cope and to help you and your children have a better experience, and that's all the professionals will want to focus on. Struggling with your mental health doesn't mean you aren't a good mum and can't look after your kids - things would only escalate if your poor mental health was causing them to be put in dangerous situations. I hope you feel able to ask for help soon, you deserve to feel better ❤

Any suggestions for good books on baby sleep anyone?
There aren’t any. I mean, there are hundreds of books on baby sleep, but no good ones. Every baby is individual, there Can be no one size fits all model, which is what books prescribe. Babies also can’t read (for the most part. Always get a wee genius sneaking in) and so don’t care what it says in the book, they just do their own thing regardless.
The best piece of advice is to be flexible - baby sleep needs change regularly in the first year. They go from sleeping a lot, to usually around 3 naps, down to 2, and some will drop down to one before a year. When you think you have it cracked it will change, and then change again. A rigid book schedule doesn’t allow for this change, as it happens on each baby’s own timeline.
The second piece of advice is to follow your baby’s lead. Some days they will sleep more than others, some days less. Just work with them, otherwise everyone ends up miserable.

Reactions: 8
Please can someone give me some advice regarding postpartum weight loss?
I’m not ready to start doing anything yet other than trying to eat enough so I’m able to survive nighttime feeding etc, and exercise stretches as far as the little walks to get us out the house. But I would eventually like to look into losing my baby weight. At what point do you think it’s no longer water/blood/swelling from baby and instead fat? How long after birth would it be reasonable enough to weigh myself and think yep, that’s all me, and start my journey?
Blood slowly decreases over the first 2 months or so, so I would say to give it at least 3-4 months before you do weigh yourself 😊
---

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.