Neighbour’s annoying kid - help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What @idk2 says about autistic children looking to the face for clues couldn’t be further from the truth. Autistic people have much less ability than average to read facial expressions and you are advised to not to try communicating in this manner.

I’m an adult with Asperger’s, and while we can see obvious generic facial expressions (smiling, frowning etc), our ability to see smaller or more detailed expressions is limited or non-existent.
I work with Autistic children - some completely rely on my line of sight at all times and WILL make eye contact to read emotion. Every child on the spectrum functions differently, some can process emotions just fine with interventions and are able to read emotions. I work with a boy who is reliant on my facial expressions in order to manage his behaviour/know when he is being naughty. He will say "naughty" when he sees my "cross facial expression" for example.

Every child is different which is why I gave such a varied answer. However, yes most autistic people do struggle with reading emotions. I'm not disputing that but not ALL do.

Reactions: 1
I work with Autistic children - some completely rely on my line of sight at all times and WILL make eye contact to read emotion. Every child on the spectrum functions differently, some can process emotions just fine with interventions and are able to read emotions. I work with a boy who is reliant on my facial expressions in order to manage his behaviour/know when he is being naughty. He will say "naughty" when he sees my "cross facial expression" for example.

Every child is different which is why I gave such a varied answer. However, yes most autistic people do struggle with reading emotions. I'm not disputing that but not ALL do.
No autistic individual can adequately read facial expressions.

As I said many of us can see obvious and generic expressions, such as your cross face. But it is hard to know what people want with them and we have to work it out consciously.

I make eye contact sometimes. Many of us do. We just make less of it.

It’s a bad idea to suggest something that is highly unlikely to work, is a guaranteed area of weakness if he is autistic, and will just cause confusion or be missed by the child.

Reactions: 1