Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

It's bizarre the people that support Mumsnet and are happy to hand over £50. Then they compare it to Netflix and the guardian who have huge costs to create and licence content. Advertising revenue has really dropped but it's probably still covering the costs to run a forum and they've had a decade of making a fortune. Bricks and mortar business are having it tough at the moment. But it's ridiculous a tech business going broke a few weeks into a recession after making millions a year.

This user is even advocating for advertising fraud 🤦‍♀️ strange for a site that deletes so much to leave this post there
Screenshot_2020-04-09-08-04-08-272_com.brave.browser.jpg

This Justine is really making a tit of herself, no wonder they've had so many hacks. She's really making things look worse with her incompetent posts.

I'm assuming they don't employ any php programmers or the like.
They have a Dev team of 12 😆 apparently. What on earth do they do all day?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
They have a Dev team of 12 😆 apparently. What on earth do they do all day?
You have to be kidding me 😮. As a former software dev I'd be horrified to put my name to that site as a developer!

• Wow
Reactions: 5

Yel

You have to be kidding me 😮. As a former software dev I'd be horrified to put my name to that site as a developer!
All full time too, it's like going back to the 90s using that site. It's just a greedy advertising platform that's run very incompetently. They're exposing themselves for how tit they are by rushing out such a terrible idea, saying it's due to COVID-19 but also saying they were always planning on charging people for 15 seconds of editing your posts.

They should have died a long time ago, along with friends reunited.

Tattle got a mention 😆 what exactly are they saying is wrong with tattle moderation? There's a clear set of rules and posts that break them get deleted. Total opposite to Mumsnet that delete like crazy.
Maybe a paid subscription is worth it for better security, decent moderation etc - I can see the appeal of that (Tattle sure doesn't offer that - now. am doubting whether MN does either)

Reactions: 4
All full time too, it's like going back to the 90s using that site. It's just a greedy advertising platform that's run very incompetently. They're exposing themselves for how tit they are by rushing out such a terrible idea, saying it's due to COVID-19 but also saying they were always planning on charging people for 15 seconds of editing your posts.

They should have died a long time ago, along with friends reunited.

Tattle got a mention 😆 what exactly are they saying is wrong with tattle moderation? There's a clear set of rules and posts that break them get deleted. Total opposite to Mumsnet that delete like crazy.
Yes, the 90's! It's quite unbelievable we are barely 3 weeks into lockdown and they are all of a sudden skint. I did see Tattle mentioned in the vein of what site people would use instead. I hope to god we don't see the same inanity propagating on here 🙏🏼

Reactions: 9
If any of them stuck around long enough over here they would know there IS moderation on this site but it is consistent, ie if somebody is derailing a thread or if personal information not in the public domain is posted. There is a clear report button and from I have seen it is acted upon pretty quickly. MN is obviously down to the individual mods who have no set guidelines and can do what they like, when they like. Or not as many have pointed out.

Reactions: 5
I'm an old mumsnetter and haven't been on the site for ages. In fact a mumsnetter set up tattle and messaged me on mn to direct me to this site and I'm glad. I knew mn was over they say they started telling women that e couldn't post any thread staying ''men are men'. I used to love the feminist boards and think they used to be the best online forum for feminist issues but then mn started moderating everything and it became clear that as a company mn are anti women and in favour of the erosion of the rights of women.

It's sad because back in the day it was a great place fill of support and kindness, mn scarfs and really great discussions. It hasn't changed or updated its format since it started and is clunky and old fashioned with constant sock puppeting. The constant data breaches also seem to go unchecked or unchallenged. There are some really nasty nasty people on that forum now. I do think she'll get her 10% off subscribers because already the stealth boasting about subscribing are starting. Mnetters love to boast about everything.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Is that true? I must admit I have wondered about the origins of Tattle and the fact it is hosted overseas.
I also got the nod from a mumsnetter, I was on the thread about influencers...basically calling out their shady behaviour, unsurprisingly the thread kept getting deleted, then I got a pm saying we are discussing this over on tattle.

Reactions: 4
As someone with a bit of experience with running a site, Mumsnet comes across as money hungry and extremely poorly run.

It's essentially a glorified forum. They create a lot of other content and this allows them to charge huge premiums for their adverts. This is a big money spinner as then they charge a premium for all the user generated forum content. They are getting many multiples more than tattle for ads as we just use a standard network, 20 times more if not 30 more. They claim to make around £5 a month from each regular user, tattle makes no where near that! Forums generally don't make much as it's low quality traffic (😆 - from an advertisers view), Mumsnet has been smart in order to make huge profits from low quality traffic.

I can see how they spend 350k a month on staff wages. They try to do alot and very little of it makes commercial sense. Now they use emotive language ("keep the lights on") to get people to give them money for the forum which no doubt is still making alot of money to bail out the rest of their poorly run company. It's non sensical.

Advertising rates have fallen significantly - over half, they always do with every downturn and I've been running sites for over 20 years so you plan for these things to save for the lean times. Tattle is more or less covering it's costs at the moment with the big fall in advertising rates. It's expensive to host but it has a huge amount of capacity - it stayed online and fast with nearly 20k online users and usually the peak amount of users online is 4k. If this continues for a long time I would move to a cheaper server as this unused capacity is wasted money and at the very worst stop guests from browsing during the high peaks that come every couple of months. A two tiered system would never be used.

I'm not on Mumsnet and the site is hosted in the states as I'm a US citizen. But please do pm good people looking for a good site if they don't know about tattle ;)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
I used to use it quite a lot when my kids were smaller. The parenting/baby forums were more friendly.

AIBU is a bit of a vipers nest, but mn as a whole was alright. Definitely not ‘all’ bad just depends which areas you frequent. There are a lot of trolls on there nowadays and I stopped posting when the daily fail started lifting things from there for content.

Posted before reading the thread. Are they actually serious with this £4.99 a month thing? They’re literally offering the same services every other forum offers for free?

I have so many questions. How do you go about bannIng problem premium members? I get the idea is that trolls wouldn’t bother paying to subscribe but no doubt there will be premium members who turn ‘rogue’ when they realise what a tit show mn has become.

Do premium members get preferential treatment over normal members? They shouldn’t.

Did I actually read they were going to have an editing time of 15 seconds? Surely I misread that! Even on here you get 10mins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I'm staggard at how opportunistic Justine has been. There are actual charities that need funding now not some message board where people get off from ripping apart other people then punching them in the face. There's been some good posts on there over the years, but that's nothing to do with the 100 staff members but the ones that use the site that are now being told to donate money after being a cow milked for many years.

• Heart
I'm staggard at how opportunistic Justine has been. There are actual charities that need funding now not some message board where people get off from ripping apart other people then punching them in the face. There's been some good posts on there over the years, but that's nothing to do with the 100 staff members but the ones that use the site that are now being told to donate money after being a cow milked for many years.
I agree there have been some good posts over the years but not for a while. These days if you post your opinion on a thread you are invariably jumped on from a great height from some argumentative poster no matter how innocuous your post was. Far too much nastiness on there for my liking. Have a browse on Companies House at their accounts, that will give you a good idea of how much they are 'struggling'.

I’ve never been a member of Mumsnet - it’s ever appealed.
Last year a couple of MN members joined a private FB group that I belong to. They took great delight in starting a thread on MN taking the piss out of things that had been posted on there. All so unnecessary. Some of them are like witches around a cauldron.
Perhaps that seems hypocritical of me seeing as this is a gossip site but people on a private FB group are not posting in the public domain.
Was that a crafting group? Because if it was, I remember the thread, and the cackling derision they greeted people's crafting projects that had been posted, in all good faith, for people's opinions of their work. I thought it was horribly bullying, and reminded me of the clique of bitchy girls at school/work who are too dumb to do anything remotely artistic themselves, but will rip the piss out of anyone trying to do something different.

• Heart
I’ve never been a member of Mumsnet - it’s ever appealed.
Last year a couple of MN members joined a private FB group that I belong to. They took great delight in starting a thread on MN taking the piss out of things that had been posted on there. All so unnecessary. Some of them are like witches around a cauldron.
Perhaps that seems hypocritical of me seeing as this is a gossip site but people on a private FB group are not posting in the public domain.
That is really nasty! Mind you there are a lot of vicious posters on there. I have deleted my account after money grubbing post as well as reading this Maybe she could tap the 'DH' for a few Bob

Reactions: 1
Was that a crafting group? Because if it was, I remember the thread, and the cackling derision they greeted people's crafting projects that had been posted, in all good faith, for people's opinions of their work. I thought it was horribly bullying, and reminded me of the clique of bitchy girls at school/work who are too dumb to do anything remotely artistic themselves, but will rip the piss out of anyone trying to do something different.
No it wasn’t a crafting group. Hope you’ll understand if I don’t say which specific group though.
At least it’s looks like we weren’t singled out then, they have previous.
The trouble was, for a while it made everyone suspicious about posting in case it was shared elsewhere.

No it wasn’t a crafting group. Hope you’ll understand if I don’t say which specific group though.
At least it’s looks like we weren’t singled out then, they have previous.
The trouble was, for a while it made everyone suspicious about posting in case it was shared elsewhere.
No that's fine, I wouldn't want you to post anything identifying. The piss-taking of the crafting group was thoroughly unpleasant and cruel. It was a relatively small group of amateur crafters, so sewing/knitting/painting/decoupage/upcycling etc was all done for their own pleasure and sense of achievement, no-one was trying to make a living from it, but a certain breed of posters took great delight in mocking them all.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
How nasty- you seem to get that on the internet and I heard that there are some spin off mumsnet groups that are heavily in to doxxing too, apparently passing round addresses and names. People were finding out where people live from the old Christmas appeals info swaps.

I was blissfully unaware until then how deranged some people are.

Did you say anything before you left?

• Wow
As someone with a bit of experience with running a site, Mumsnet comes across as money hungry and extremely poorly run.

It's essentially a glorified forum. They create a lot of other content and this allows them to charge huge premiums for their adverts. This is a big money spinner as then they charge a premium for all the user generated forum content.
I don’t view it as anything other than a forum. I’ve never used the jobs or local parts. The ‘content’ they write is nothing that’s ever interested me so for me it’s worthless.

No one has mentioned the affiliate links - surely that’s where a lot of the revenue comes from? I’m usually most active in the Christmas section (affiliate links galore!) which I do still enjoy so I won’t be leaving properly, certainly won’t be paying either, but on the reminder of Tattle Life on a helpful thread (now deleted) this morning I’ve decided to properly sign up here rather than just lurk periodically.

Yel

Justine trying to defend it is a right cluster duck. She's tying herself up in posts and being shady. She's as bad as an infuencer. Mumsnet for years after the rules on affiliate links changed were still not declaring it and posting them as if they were doing users a favour.

So they've been saying for ages they couldn't add an edit (even though they have a dev team of 12 doing duck knows what?) and now all of a sudden they can.

They show an utter disrespect to the users after years of making an absolute fortune.

People thanking the site operators are a bit misguided, it's users they should thank. It's like people thanking Tesco for years of selling them food then Tesco charging VIP membership to get in 15 seconds before the store opens. Tesco doesn't grow the food and for years it's been making money from selling you their service even if you paid for it via adverts. Ok that's a bit confusing 😆

Anyway their forums won't be closing as that is the money making bit, they just want to cream off as much money as they can. If 1000 people have given £50 that's no small amount.

Reactions: 13
I had an account there a few years ago, deleted it after the data breach. I had a look when the Jack Monroe threads were up, fooking hell, what a mess.

"Ambulance, NOW."

Erm, alright then?

Plus, the chances of being a troll seems to be in direct proportion with how many fetuses a person claims to be pregnant with

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.