Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
AIBU is the worst place to post, you need to be very tough skinned (or insane) to post a thread on there. Chat is a lot more gentle, but a bit boring.

I used to post on Mumsnet quite a lot but deleted my account earlier this year. I was very close to being banned anyway :rolleyes:

The only thing I can thank MN for is leading me to Tattle via a Gabriella Lindley thread.

Reactions: 17
I'm only on there for the celeb gossip, but even then I just lurk and never post anything.

Reactions: 2
Iv had a nosey a few times and it’s baffeling. Someone posted yesterday about her teenager not taking her nose piercing out for school as they are threatening suspension & someone said “why doesn’t the child listen to you” 😭😭😭

Reactions: 3
I enjoyed it in 2011 and a couple of years after but then it got full of trolls and over moderated

Reactions: 3
Thread about Tattle.

I hope it isn't true about forum members sending "hate messages" though I'm not sure how she would know if they are Tattlers?

I used to go on it when I was a teenager (Yes I know that sounds weird but some of the troll/classics threads were funny and I got into a crowd on the Internet who trolled MN for a laugh which led me there in the first place) and briefly for advice as I entered adulthood. Tbh I did get invaluable advice while I was there but I feel it is just prime for trolling now, and I suppose that ruins the point of it being a support forum, on top of the tospy turvy moderating. There’s a separate sub on reddit of ex-MNers who seek out the trolls (but even that sub has its dramas!)

Reactions: 5
A long time ago Mumsnet was a warm supportive place. I started using it a long time ago when my now 17yr old was very young. Was a member in birth boards where we supported and congratulated each other.
It has become quite a horrible place and I rarely read or post there now.

Reactions: 8
I used to be on it 4 years ago when was trying to get pregnant and was so helpful and supportive the TTC threads others are full of nutters and angry women

Reactions: 4
I posted on there once and was so shocked at the responses, my anxiety hit the roof, I deleted my account straight away and vowed never to post on there again. (I have a very thin skin fyi lol)

Reactions: 10
I posted on there once and was so shocked at the responses, my anxiety hit the roof, I deleted my account straight away and vowed never to post on there again. (I have a very thin skin fyi lol)
I had the exact same experience!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have been on Mumsnet, I don't have kids but was looking for something on Google and it came up... it was pretty shocking. What everyone is describing Tattle as (which it is not) is exactly what Mumsnet is.

It exists just to sell data to brands, work with infuencers and get very lucrative deals like their 6 figure deals with Lidl and mondelez. All tit it's about helping people.

The users there are terrible, calling all kind of names to this gossip forum when their "am I unreasonable" threads seem to just be full of people taking a swipe at each other just to be unpleasant. Nasty place.

We just gossip here and if it's not your cup of tea it's easily avoided. But lots think infuencers unlike celebs are the kind of public figure that are beyond reproach. Strange.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The moderation on Mumsnet is appalling especially considering the money Justine makes off the back of it. The Nightwatch in particular are very slow to react to reports, though I think I read that they are volunteers rather than paid staff? I've seen racist comments sit there for hours before being deleted. God forbid you mention the McCanns though, that tit gets deleted in seconds!

Their IT is tit and they have had plenty of data breaches. Banned posters sign up again on a regular basis. There's been a number of scammers using the site to get money or gifts off people with made up sob stories - the David/Caroline one being the worst. Begging threads in general aren't uncommon, especially around the festive period.

Mumsnet has had its day. It's full of trolls now. The worst thing to come out of it is that Reddit sub MNTrolls. A pack of nasty PBP trolls with bitterness oozing out of every pore.

• Haha
Mumsnet has had its day. It's full of trolls now. The worst thing to come out of it is that Reddit sub MNTrolls. A pack of nasty PBP trolls with bitterness oozing out of every pore.
Mumsnet has been full of trolls for years now. Too many unregulated posters and not enough mods.

Is that Reddit sub still around @Lucille?

From memory, that was set up as a result of the David scam and MN's deletion of any reference to it. I think MN were embarrassed by the part they played in publicising the fundraising account.

I think it started off with good intentions but soon descended into in-fighting. Last time I looked (a loooong time ago) it seemed to be imploding, plus they were having some kind of turf war with another Reddit sub :rolleyes:

Reactions: 7
I think the reason its nicer here is because we are are meeting like-minded people. Whether on a rave thread or thinking critically about someone we are talking to people about something we have in common.

Can anyone briefly explain the David thing from mumsnet I've not heard of that?

Reactions: 4
Can anyone briefly explain the David thing from mumsnet I've not heard of that?
It was a while ago and I'm a bit hazy on it now. It was an extremely tangled web and I never fully got my head around all of it.

Basically, a poster said his wife was dying of cancer and set up a fundraising account to raise money for a charity foundation. Some posters were a bit sceptical about him but were shouted down/deleted/banned if they raised any concerns. MN actively plugged the fundraising account and I think quite a few posters donated money. The final amount raised was just over £3,000.

The charity being fundraised for does exist but the money account was set up in David's name rather than that of the charity. There was some doubt that David was genuinely her husband. David and Caroline did exist in real life but the poster was suspected of impersonating the husband. He subsequently posted a photo of her in hospital clearly very ill in order to prove who he said he was. Can't remember how that was obtained.

I think it then transpired that he had the mobile numbers of some MN posters and had made sexually inappropriate comments to them?

I can't remember if it was ever proven whether he was a fake. Any references to him were removed immediately and posters banned; it was like North Korea for a while!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
When someone on Mumsnet doesn't agree with you they often just call you stupid and unintelligent? Rather than seeing something is a complex issue with many valid viewpoints. Often with a silly comparison.

I'm done with that site and all the unpleasantness.

Baby boomers there are the worst, refusing to accept how lucky they are (as a generation) and acting as if they're the generation that has had it the hardest!

The David thing was dodgy, mn says it was real but the poster realeased a audio message that was clearly a guy pretending to be a woman

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The reddit sub is still around. I read it sometimes purely for entertainment //munches popcorn//. It was set up to call out the trolls after a group of MNers got fed up of the trolls and crappy moderation (but specifically David and Caroline). People said it was like another MN group from way back - Mouldies?
Members of MNTrolls then broke off from the group and began fighting with one another — another sub was created in response to it called MNNontrolls (now dead) and the sub was overtaken by fighting/threats/doxxing of members, all sorts. It’s still ongoing now even though the sub has gone back to ‘Normal’

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.