Motherland

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She just feels no obligation to be nice. It’s a truth bomb. I love her (such great clothes in previous series).

Reactions: 7
They all became more rounded characters after series 1. Julia had kept it together as her mother had done all the childcare then she decided to stop, hence Julia being in chaos.

I don’t think Julia is meant to be a sympathetic character. She is bloody hilarious though.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Just finished all 3 series and really enjoyed them. I loved all the characters..even Mrs Lamb who was soo accurate in her portrayal of the really annoying school receptionist! Think we all have friends with some of their characteristics...well I certainly do!

Reactions: 13
Found the special a tough watch. I have a bit of a difficult relationship with my mum, nothing dreadful I just find her a really difficult personality and I can’t force it and feel guilty for not having the relationship she wants. My kids were with their dad and I just wasn’t expecting it to be so hard viewing. I was probably a bit fragile at the time.

• Heart
Maybe Julia is peri menopausal? I find myself shoutier these days with everyone and I’m really not nasty! Just that tImE Of lIfE unfortunately 😑
I'm at that time of life too and whilst ye...I'd admit to a shorter fuse at times, I'm not as wound up as Julia. Seriously she tries to book a weekend away for herself and her mum for Christmas and falls short of smashing the laptop because it's so expensive. She has no balance, no reason, and I reckon I'd have told her to duck right off a while back if I was Liz & Kevin. She's a danger to herself and others.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't recognise Julia's husband. I actually thought they brought in a new actor but maybe pp are correct and he's just lost weight.
I recognised him from the office UK previously but honestly thought they had replaced the actor in this special. I think it would have been lovely to just have a moment of him comforting her and sort of breaking the norm/seeing a glimpse of why they're still together rather than have him ask about the Stilton !

I think it was twin girls too dressed the same in pink plus the first baby. Odd that it wasn't mentioned, I guess with each episode only 30 mins they can't include everything.

Reactions: 3
I think they've left a lot open ended for another episode/series. Like the fact they purposely didn't mention Liz's boyfriend.

Reactions: 9
I recognised him from the office UK previously but honestly thought they had replaced the actor in this special. I think it would have been lovely to just have a moment of him comforting her and sort of breaking the norm/seeing a glimpse of why they're still together rather than have him ask about the Stilton !
That scene in particular ruined it for me. Not funny and inappropriate. Some scenes should just be sad. Motherland is a perfect programme for the occasional bit of pathos. They totally missed the mark as far as I was concerned.

Reactions: 10
That scene in particular ruined it for me. Not funny and inappropriate. Some scenes should just be sad. Motherland is a perfect programme for the occasional bit of pathos. They totally missed the mark as far as I was concerned.
But that sort of fits with the husband’s lack of empathy from day 1, as awful as it was. He was a selfish prick being a selfish prick. It would’ve been nice to see that he does care but it wasn’t a total surprise to see that he let her down again and wasn’t there in her moment of need.

Reactions: 15
It was bang on in terms of his behaviour (fannying about outside doing no meal graft or hosting ) and also the essence of Christmas - a fridge full of food and often not allowed to eat any of it as it’s earmarked for a specific moment - people asking if they can eat what’s in their own fridge up and down the land. Brill.

It’s acutely well observed and men are often getting a pointy elbow.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I think if you can't see any accuracy in Julia's husband or Amanda's mum then you have got off relatively lightly in life haha

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
It was bang on in terms of his behaviour (fannying about outside doing no meal graft or hosting ) and also the essence of Christmas - a fridge full of food and often not allowed to eat any of it as it’s earmarked for a specific moment - people asking if they can eat what’s in their own fridge up and down the land. Brill.

It’s acutely well observed and men are often getting a pointy elbow.
Not when someone's just died and a person is distressed.

Still, glad you enjoyed it. To me it was a huge disappointment. Even Kevin couldn't save it for me. :(

He’s a prick. It was on brand.

I do quite like cynical observational humour tho.

Reactions: 12
If they ever do a new series, I would like to see Julia divorcing her useless husband 🤢

Reactions: 14
I’m not going to watch it , it sounds depressing and humourless. Half an hour I won’t get back.

I’m not going to watch it , it sounds depressing and humourless. Half an hour I won’t get back.
I rewatched it yesterday and enjoyed it much more the second time. I think the first time I was looking for a laugh a minute, which it isn’t, so my expectations were already set.

There are some funny and laugh out loud bits but overall the theme of death is never not going to be depressing!

I really enjoyed it. Definitely not as many laughs as you’d expect from a sitcom Christmas special, but not any less enjoyable. Personally I’ve tried to scroll less on social media to avoid comparing my Christmas to everyone else’s and feel like it’s not perfect. Many of us have an imperfect Christmas - dealing with bereavement, being angry at ex partners who mess up arrangements for your children, ex couples putting on smiles to spend the day together for the sake of their children despite the pain they feel themselves, the list goes on. Motherland has always shown the imperfections in family life, albeit in hugely exaggerated characters but I’m sure many viewers will have been able to relate to the various micro situations going on in this episode. Maybe just the wine, but I did enjoy this episode despite the sad storyline and how much it made me cry lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 25