Motherland

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Speaking of the mums, when Ann is talking about how amazing Mother’s Day is in her house and rattles off a list of activities they do, one of which is just “Walnuts”.
I watched this one last night and couldn't stop laughing over another activity...."Rolling down a hill" 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Passing her driving test despite hitting a cow “Different rules in Ireland”. Ann is such an underrated character.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
just watched (re-watched ) the one where the in-laws came to stay, was almost too cringe to watch :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 9
Julia with Garry (with two Rs) was fantastic 🤣

My favourite is Liz. I love her relationship with Kevin.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Julia with Garry (with two Rs) was fantastic 🤣

My favourite is Liz. I love her relationship with Kevin.
Julia telling Liz and Meg how she has been feeling plus the voicemail she left for Garry was so moving about middle life with marriage and children.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I love all of them and every episode. I even love the theme tune 😂

Reactions: 14
I discovered this show two weeks ago and I have cry-laughed SO many times. Probably due to being shattered with a newborn - ha!
“GIVE ME THE BOP IT!” immediately made me a fan.
The episode where Liz puts Julia’s name forward to be someone’s maid for a week in the school auction. 😂😂😂 Her trying to get out of it had me howling!
For some reason, the Christmas episode where Julia’s mom moans about wanting softer towels whilst Julia’s doing everything and Julia has that rant about dusting off her towel loom and weaving her a towel made from the hair of a baby’s arse had me doubled over laughing.
Not keen on the Meg character. She’s s little over the top. If she toned it down ever so slightly she’d be perfect but in some of her scenes the acting is obvious. Particularly her drunk scenes. I’m thinking mainly of the Christmas episode again.
The bonus of the dishy Tony Head being in it is a winner!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We all know someone who is like each of those characters or can see ourselves in some of the things they do. I was just thinking about the times I lost the plot when my kids were younger. I just can’t believe I behaved like it. Don’t ask me about the time I took my son and his friend to a Christmas market and couldn’t find a parking space. And that one Mum on a night out who get’s outrageously drunk? the single Mum who has an an annoying ex and swears she’s not getting involved with men? That’s the secret of a good comedy in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
We all know someone who is like each of those characters or can see ourselves in some of the things they do. I was just thinking about the times I lost the plot when my kids were younger. I just can’t believe I behaved like it. Don’t ask me about the time I took my son and his friend to a Christmas market and couldn’t find a parking space. And that one Mum on a night out who get’s outrageously drunk? the single Mum who has an an annoying ex and swears she’s not getting involved with men? That’s the secret of a good comedy in my opinion.
Totally agree, the best comedy is something that is just so well observed and realistic that you can identify yourself/people you know in it, i have never been a parent but watching some of the scenes with Julia and her inlaws remind me of my mum and hers :ROFLMAO: I go to the local council pool quite often and every time I go on Saturdays or Sundays i am reminded of the pool party episode :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 10
or what about Meg because of the cancer thing?
Oh could be, I just don't want any of the main ones to die so maybe they'll come come back again, one of the best comedies I've watched in years!

Reactions: 6
Oh could be, I just don't want any of the main ones to die so maybe they'll come come back again, one of the best comedies I've watched in years!
I think from what someone posted earlier this will be the last episode though :( so would make sense to have a main character leave

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Just finished it all. I love all the characters. The writing is fast paced so even if you think a character is being a head it moves on quickly. I thought it was brilliant that Julia fancying the builder had Paul and her finally share a scene. I was initially worried it would be ‘heavy’ but it ended with ‘let’s go to the pub!’.

That probably sums up Motherland. We’ve seen infidelity, cancer, fraught relations with parents, racism, single parenthood, abusive relationships (Kevin) etc etc but it’s not preachy. It’s just a slice of real life with humour. I can’t decide if we should meet Jill or she should remain Maris off Frasier (we never saw her right?). Roll on the Christmas episode. I hope it’s not the last one.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Made me laugh when Garry had charged her for the time they spent eating the crudites :ROFLMAO: .

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Just finished it all. I love all the characters. The writing is fast paced so even if you think a character is being a head it moves on quickly. I thought it was brilliant that Julia fancying the builder had Paul and her finally share a scene. I was initially worried it would be ‘heavy’ but it ended with ‘let’s go to the pub!’.

That probably sums up Motherland. We’ve seen infidelity, cancer, fraught relations with parents, racism, single parenthood, abusive relationships (Kevin) etc etc but it’s not preachy. It’s just a slice of real life with humour. I can’t decide if we should meet Jill or she should remain Maris off Frasier (we never saw her right?). Roll on the Christmas episode. I hope it’s not the last one.
Jill is so much like my sister in law! I think I’d be disappointed if we actually saw her, as I think the audience all have an impression on their heads of what she looks like.

No we didn’t see Maris in Frasier. One of my favourite jokes is when Niles gets the greyhound and they put a hat on it, and he realises it looks just like Maris.

• Haha
Reactions: 5