Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Stillwater

VIP Member
It was bang on in terms of his behaviour (fannying about outside doing no meal graft or hosting ) and also the essence of Christmas - a fridge full of food and often not allowed to eat any of it as it’s earmarked for a specific moment - people asking if they can eat what’s in their own fridge up and down the land. Brill.

It’s acutely well observed and men are often getting a pointy elbow.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

sunfish

I’ve just done a rewatch of all of the episodes on Netflix. I love it but there are a few inconsistencies!

Amanda’s husband is called ‘Ian’ not ‘Johnny’ in the first episode. Same actor but I assume with it being a pilot, time had passed and they decided to change his character name when the show got commissioned.

In the carpool episode, Anne talks about her mad obsession with crafting during her early menopause. She goes on to have multiple pregnancies and the menopause is never mentioned…

Julia mentions that her mum lives in Leatherhead but, apparently until very recently she had been doing all of the school runs and childcare. Leatherhead is about an hour away from where they are supposed to live, in Acton.

Yes, I know I’m overinvested. I’ll see myself out…
In the Christmas episode I noticed when Kevin and Liz were picking the food up off the kitchen floor they were so sad about it being in Marion’s shoes.I thought to myself I’ve seen those shoes before,they’re Anne’s 🤣🤣🤣I need to get a life 🤪

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

Notredamn

VIP Member
I don’t think Julia is meant to be a sympathetic character. She is bloody hilarious though.

• Heart

nyMreb-5fattu-hedgob

I enjoyed it, but just wish it didn’t take such a sad turn. I’d have enjoyed the politics of them all spending the day together more.

wibblywobblywoo

VIP Member
I watched it again and enjoyed it more the second time. Maybe I’d been looking forward to it too much so was bound to be a bit disappointed?

Julia’s husband did comfort her in the garden, he got out the hot tub and you can see him hugging her in his pants. He’s still a dickhead though!

I did not expect to start liking Amanda but I really did!

I look forward to rewatching all of the old series, a proper comfort watch for me.
I think we were supposed to dislike Amanda but in actual fact I loved her character. I loved them all tbh. Thoroughly enjoyed the 3 series. The Christmas special was very funny but poignant too. I'm sure there are many people that can and do identify with Julia and her husbands relationship and her relationship with mum.

Christmas is a sad time for many families struggling with loss, mine included and I so related to her and the last angry conversations had with her parent. I think this episode showed all the different emotions and the bits with Amanda were soo relatable with the ex moving on. Plus Liz and her deadbeat ex I'm sure resonated with many watching too.

I'm hoping there will be a series 4 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 20

TheOpposite

Just finished it all. I love all the characters. The writing is fast paced so even if you think a character is being a dickhead it moves on quickly. I thought it was brilliant that Julia fancying the builder had Paul and her finally share a scene. I was initially worried it would be ‘heavy’ but it ended with ‘let’s go to the pub!’.

That probably sums up Motherland. We’ve seen infidelity, cancer, fraught relations with parents, racism, single parenthood, abusive relationships (Kevin) etc etc but it’s not preachy. It’s just a slice of real life with humour. I can’t decide if we should meet Jill or she should remain Maris off Frasier (we never saw her right?). Roll on the Christmas episode. I hope it’s not the last one.

• Heart
I put on my Xmas pjs on Xmas Eve and only just removed them an hour ago to shower.

If I had a onesie, it would have been on yesterday. The hangover was real 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart

Catlady1

VIP Member
My favourite joke from the first episode was when the posh glam stuck up one said something about Anne working in Greggs before she had kids and Anne said actually i was product development manager for glaxo smith wellcome. It is true that there are certain types of people who are very judgey

• Haha
  • Heart

coconochanel

VIP Member
What happened to Liz BF? no mention of him and the gift exchange between Meg and her hubby was pointless.

• Heart

Gold_7

Chatty Member
I watched it again and enjoyed it more the second time. Maybe I’d been looking forward to it too much so was bound to be a bit disappointed?

Julia’s husband did comfort her in the garden, he got out the hot tub and you can see him hugging her in his pants. He’s still a dickhead though!

I did not expect to start liking Amanda but I really did!

I look forward to rewatching all of the old series, a proper comfort watch for me.

sueh21

Meh, that was not good. Seemed very jumbled and rushed. I spent most of the episode thinking why on earth has Anna Maxwell Martin messed about with botox or fillers in her face. Tell tale forehead doesn’t move

Maid22

VIP Member
I liked it!! Apparently there was hints someone was going to die ( I did mention Julia's mum earlier in thread! though that was a guess)
Loved Amanda telling her mum what she thought of her!

Reactions: 19

Freedomofspeech89

VIP Member
The earlier ones were definitely the funniest. Graham Linehan didn’t write the latest episode which explains why it wasn’t as good. He was also the writer for Father Ted and IT Crowd. Great comedy writer.

• Heart

Millais

Chatty Member
Anne once again being low-key hilarious - when her and her mammy were trying to work out how many she was having for Christmas and every branch of the family had a Pat. And well done to whoever said they thought/hoped Anne would have a lovely house. Glaxo clearly paid well.

I thought Amanda’s mum was almost a bit cartoonishly evil though. The way she massively sided with Johnny and Tamara, it was more like she was his mum.

Leo100

VIP Member
Not enough jokes for me , the other series had better episodes and I wish they didn't have to make it so serious , gutted thats supposed to be the last one