Money = happiness or at least a contributor?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it’s easy for people to say ‘ money does not buy happiness’, however I would disagree and say money is definitely a ‘contributor’ to happiness , while I don’t think just money alone guarantees happiness , I believe it certainly helps and contributes to happiness in my opinion, whats everyones thoughts? Can you really be broke ( eg minimum wage or just above , living in a dodgy council flat , having no money at end of the month etc ) and truly happy for example ?

Reactions: 5
I don't think money buys happiness but I think it buys the means of happiness. I am happy knowing I can pay my bills, feed myself, have a treat, go on holiday, put money in savings. I don't think you can be happy if you're living with anxiety about where your next meal is coming from. That being said, I don't think money buys happiness in a billionaire sense. Yeah it'd be nice not to work but I don't think having all that money makes you happy unless you're doing something selfless with it like using it for charity or research etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don't think money necessarily buys happiness however it certainly does contribute to helping someone feel happier in some circumstances. Money can definitely make situations easier, removing financial stress and anxiety can make people feel happier. That being said, the two (money and happiness) can exist independently of one another. Some of the most wealthy people I know aren't truly happy, just because they don't have financial worries doesn't mean they're happy with every aspect of their life entirely and they may feel deep sadness about other things. And similarly, some of the "poorest" (for want of a better word) people I know are just happy with what they have and they're generally happy.

Reactions: 4
I don't think money necessarily buys happiness however it certainly does contribute to helping someone feel happier in some circumstances. Money can definitely make situations easier, removing financial stress and anxiety can make people feel happier. That being said, the two (money and happiness) can exist independently of one another. Some of the most wealthy people I know aren't truly happy, just because they don't have financial worries doesn't mean they're happy with every aspect of their life entirely and they may feel deep sadness about other things. And similarly, some of the "poorest" (for want of a better word) people I know are just happy with what they have and they're generally happy.
Agreed! I also think it's what you want out of life as well. I remember watching one of those holiday caravan park shows and they interviewed this family who save up to come every single year. They talked about how much they love it and joked about they love the bingo but never win and it genuinely made me so happy to watch. It sounds dull but I just loved how they were happy with their life. I feel like I constantly see people chasing better, better phones, better holidays, better cars and it was lovely to see these people who save every year to go to this place that they love whereas some would deem it a crappy caravan park in the west of england. They probably didn't have much money but they are happy.

• Heart
I think you can be happy with a lowered income as long as it’s actually enough to meet your full needs. Can you buy things at the supermarket without really having to worry about other bills?

If you are deeply unhappy money also provides you with the ability to also get help from the best therapists without a limit on sessions and without having to wait months and sometimes years.

I’ve been into minimalism for almost 5 years. I could keep buying more stuff but I just realised that it would never be enough. I‘ve learned to find happiness in the small things not the £100 dress or £1900 handbag.
My favourite rockstar had millions in the bank but also ended his own life.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I was watching something recently - can’t remember what it was, obvs wasn’t great, but it said something along the lines of ‘money can’t buy happiness but it gives you freedom’ and I think that’s right. Having money allows you a great deal of freedom, from choices, places, lifestyle etc.

Reactions: 6
Flipping the situation, I don't think money gets rid of the things that make people truly unhappy. So things like death , grief and depression do not discriminate.

I think money can give someone the opportunity to change their situation, should they find themselves in a situation that is making them unhappy. But , having lots of money may lead to people not being satisfied. So maybe , for some people, being content is something they can't buy.

Also , there are situations where money wouldn't make much difference, like if your family made you unhappy if you were rich , your family would be rich too.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Some good points here , I do however think in the UK we do seem to have an issue with wealth and people making , enjoying their wealth , whereas in places like America wealth and success is encouraged. I don’t think money is the only factor for happiness , however I do think it can contribute to happiness, well for me it has anyway as I’ve been in both positions , not having much and then later in life experiencing the finer things money can by , I would always pick the later! It’s interesting to see other peoples views though.

True happiness? No but peace of mind, certainly. Financial freedom would allow someone to live debt free, maybe walk away from a job they hate etc and of course that would make them happier than they were previously. Money takes a lot of worry away even regarding things that haven’t happened yet, funeral expenses, financial security for your children after you die etc. But for me true happiness is things that money can’t pay for like your health, a secure relationship, your children’s love, family, friendship etc. I mean if I was billionaire and lost one of my children, I know I’d never be happy again.

Reactions: 3
I definitely think money can help towards your happiness.

My partner and I have quite a comfortable life to an extent, we go on 3 holidays a year and for one of them which is Thailand, we travel business class. We go on lots of little trips, We have a nice house, nice car, and go out maybe twice a week. No kids yet only a cat so responsibilities' are minimal But we work hard for these things, it isn't just handed to us on a plate and we are truly appreciative for everything we are able to do in life. I would never take it for granted and being in the position I'm in hasn't changed me at all as a person. It just makes life a little bit easier & for that I'm forever grateful because I know what its like to not have such luxuries in life.

I'm 33 now, but when I was in my 20's I was genuinely in dead end jobs, just living from pay day to pay day or borrowing money from my mum just so I could go out on the weekend. I had no real direction in life and I was very unhappy. One day I just knew I had to change something, put my head down, worked hard, got myself a really good job and stuck with it.

Not everyday is a happy day though, I still suffer from anxiety and still have worries in life. That will never change regardless of how much money I have in the bank. My dads going through cancer atm so your health really is your wealth and more important that anything money can buy.

• Heart
I was my happiest in my early twenties and had no money. I was living paycheck to paycheck.
BUT
I enjoying being comfortable and not having to worry about affording things.

I do think money brings happiness but probably not in ways people would expect because it also takes away the joy of buying expensive things. I used to save up for ages to afford something and would be really excited about it. Now that you can afford it easily it takes away some of the joy about having the item

Reactions: 2
I think it all varies person to person.

When I was a kid we were quite poor (single parent) and my mum struggled to afford food. Holidays and days out where a no and birthdays were kept simple. Was I happy? I’m not sure, the constant money worries were tough, but I was unhappy for other reasons too so I’m not sure it was solely down to the money issue.

Now I’m an adult, we are financially comfortable. Myself and my husband own a nice house, have a car each and holiday abroad twice a year with uk breaks in between. We don’t have to budget for food and we buy what we like within reason.

We don’t have fancy cars and we aren’t interested in designer items. Quality time together going out and on holiday is what we value and I would say we are really happy and money definitely helps that. I always think part of the reason we don’t argue is because we don’t have money worries.

Would I be as happy as I am now if we had no money? Probably not no, part of my happiness comes from doing what I please.

Most things cost money, either to do or have so to a degree I would say it does. Not the only contributing factor obviously but a large one!

I think it depends on your expectations, desires and what you want out of life.

If you're someone who is always seeking gratification from the latest gadget or that pair of shoes that you think will change your life, even though they'll eat up all of your savings ... you'll be disappointed (sorry). Receiving those things in your hands will provide a short-term buzz but you'll be back to square one in wanting something else, in no time.

Personally, I believe that the secret is being happy and content with what you have, without denying yourself the odd little luxury providing you save for it and it doesn't impact any of your other commitments. You definitely shouldn't save all your money and never enjoy something special - nope; don't do that ... life is for living, after all.

I think far too many people buy stuff on credit then when circumstances change, they're stuffed. What's the point in having a luxury car if you can't afford to fill, service or insure it? To avoid FOMO, you could always get your fix by saving up and hiring a luxury car for a weekend ... thinking creatively can be fun.

Reactions: 1
I agree with most of the sentiments here.

I think being low on money is a big stress and having that stress removed is helpful.

Saying that, while we’re not rolling in it I would say we’re comfortable now (40s and late 30s) and don’t have to think too much about day to day costs etc. but I don’t feel that our life is any happier now than in our 20s we just worry about money less but have other (more kids and teens) to think about.

It’s an interesting topic and think the ultimate aim for me is to be content and comfortable but not necessarily rolling in it.

More thoughts:

There isn't a lot we can do without money, so we have to make it work the best we can. Worrying about not having enough to make ends meet is a huge burden, especially in the current climate. Not everyone is struggling, but many are, which is why we have to get smarter around our spending. It's not just the current cost of living crisis either - what would happen if, say, you went on holiday to America, had an accident and your travel insurance would only cover so much? A lot of people would be forced to turn to a GFM and hope for the best.

Money can be your ticket to freedom - as well as all the fancy stuff, it can see you bypass hospital waitlists (if you go private), able to get lifesaving medication (if your country doesn't provide it), let you do what you really want to, job-wise ...

Too much can prove destructive though - especially for those who don't respect it and use it wisely. If you've come into a huge amount quickly, it could prove devastating for family/friend relationships ... will they expect you to gift some to them too? And will they be able to join you in leisurely pursuits if you're not paying? It could actually make you quite miserable in the long run.

If I am running low on funds at the end of the month, I simply go without. I budget really carefully to ensure that doesn't happen, but of course sometimes things break and have to be fixed or something else happens that might put a dent into my everyday spending. I do have savings but I don't touch them. I'm not well off, but I'm comfortable. I co-own a couple of businesses with someone else that are doing fine, but I'm not going to be a millionaire anytime soon. I know others who are on the pension who grow all their own vegetables, keep hens and have fruit trees, so their supermarket spend isn't huge; they all seem quite happy.

Last edited:
I can absolutely guarantee that I would be happy to take part in an experiment where people could give me loads of money so I could see if it would make me happy.

It would make me happy, I don't even need to think about it! I'd be a really good rich person. I wouldn't waste it on bling or flash cars but I would have a lovely house overlooking the sea near no people whatsoever. Happiness right there.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've love to see a reality show where a huge cross-section of people are given a reasonable amount - let's say, $200k - and cameras follow them around to see how they spend it.

I'd be boring to watch because I'd just split it 30% x 3 (on investing in a business or two; sticking some in the bank on a term deposit; and buying shares that pay regular dividends); and 10% x 1 (for my 'rainy day' account [repairs, etc.]).

Reactions: 3
I've love to see a reality show where a huge cross-section of people are given a reasonable amount - let's say, $200k - and cameras follow them around to see how they spend it.

I'd be boring to watch because I'd just split it 30% x 3 (on investing in a business or two; sticking some in the bank on a term deposit; and buying shares that pay regular dividends); and 10% x 1 (for my 'rainy day' account [repairs, etc.]).
It's not exactly what you describe but there was a show on C5 called "The Great British Benefits Handout" (I think it's available on Prime) where people were asked to sign off benefits and given a lump sum equivalent to what they would have received annually on benefits. I can't remember the exact amount they received, it wasn't a huge amount something like £30,000, but it was more than any of these people had ever had in one go. Some invested the money into businesses, some went on big splurges.

I think that show was a good example of how a lump sum of money can lead to very short term happiness, but once the novelty wears off and the bank balance starts going down again, the problems that were there before the money just reappear. Money doesn't solve everything but can cause short term relief.

It's not exactly what you describe but there was a show on C5 called "The Great British Benefits Handout" (I think it's available on Prime) where people were asked to sign off benefits and given a lump sum equivalent to what they would have received annually on benefits. I can't remember the exact amount they received, it wasn't a huge amount something like £30,000, but it was more than any of these people had ever had in one go. Some invested the money into businesses, some went on big splurges.

I think that show was a good example of how a lump sum of money can lead to very short term happiness, but once the novelty wears off and the bank balance starts going down again, the problems that were there before the money just reappear. Money doesn't solve everything but can cause short term relief.
I agree. There have been so many examples of people who gained money (lottery/reality tv) and then went on loose women or whatever saying they’d blown it all.

Reactions: 1