Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sally1993

Chatty Member
I suffered from depression whilst on hormonal birth control, including the mirena coil. It also got dislodged and had to be removed in the end.

Does anyone have experience with the copper coil?

discokebab

I hope someone can help me with some advice please! I had my Mirena fitted back in June and it took a little while to settle down. We have not had sex since because now that it HAS settled I’m petrified of dislodging it or causing any more discomfort! Is that even possible?! Even though I know it’s a form of contraception and therefore designed for people having sex, I’m just scared! Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received ☺
Have you had an ultrasound to confirm placement? If not, see if you can get one via your GP (who whoever fitted your Mirena). Maybe being shown it is in correctly would help reassure you? Have you checked for your strings recently?
Also remember the Mirena has a dose of hormone too, so whilst placement is very important, there will also be progesterone acting locally that will thicken your cervical mucus, cause instability with your uterine lining so it's harder for an egg to implant and potentially prevent ovulation itself.

Note: I'm not a medical professional

loubylou50

VIP Member
I hope someone can help me with some advice please! I had my Mirena fitted back in June and it took a little while to settle down. We have not had sex since because now that it HAS settled I’m petrified of dislodging it or causing any more discomfort! Is that even possible?! Even though I know it’s a form of contraception and therefore designed for people having sex, I’m just scared! Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received ☺

Welsh1

I had the mirena coil fitted just over a week ago after having a few years of hell with the copper coil. I'm just wondering if anyone who has the mirena coil has had these side effects?
I'm feeling quite low in mood and my anxiety has worsened. I usually have really clear skin, I'm now covered in spots, I'm barely sleeping and I feel extremely fatigued which isn't great as I'm practically half asleep in work & feel like I could sleep for a week by 5pm. I'm just looking for some hope that symptoms like this will ease because I'm all out of options for any other contraception. My GP told me to contact the department where it was fitted & I've been unable to get hold of them to discuss it so this was the next best option.

Loveagossx

I’m 30 and had the mirena fitted after my second child due to suspected endometriosis & horrific periods / menstrual vomiting after my second child and as birth control too. It took 12 full months to stop any spotting or side effects but almost a year to the day I noticed I’d had a month with no issues & it’s been another 3 years since that and no issues.

Geranium

VIP Member
I was on the Mirena in total for about 20 years. No periods in that time. Only side effect I noticed was I found it very very hard to lose weight. After the menopause I had it removed and promptly lost about 14 pounds!

HarJR289

Chatty Member
I'm in my 3rd Mirena coil. On the whole it's been great but quite painful having it in or changed. Settled down in a few weeks. Unfortunately the painkillers I was given on the 2nd time , given that I was already constipated, stopped my bowel function completely and I ended up in hospital with a blockage. They also discovered a haemangioma on my liver which I was told could have been the result of taking the contraceptive pill or maybe even the first Mirena. But all a haemangioma is, is a mass of tangled blood vessels. There are no symptoms and it won't do any harm or grow unless I were to become pregnant again, so it's not a case for worry - just sounds worrying when you're first told you have a "non cancerous tumour" on your liver, but once you know what it actually is, it's more reassuring. I got the coil to avoid becoming pregnant so fingers crossed it continues to do its work! No periods, just the odd bit of spotting. I find I spot more when I'm extra stressed, strangely enough. The coil doesn't agree with everyone I guess, but I'd urge giving it a bit more time and then deciding.
Random - but I’ve just been referred for a MRI after finding a 13mm mass in my liver on my ultrasound Monday. Hopefully it’s a haemangioma, did you get diagnosed by MRI?

OhMyGaad

Has anyone had the coil inserted during your period? Think mine will be here when I'm due to get it in but I don't know what to do.

Welsh1

Sorry to hear that you are suffering since having the mirena.... I can only speak from experience and say I'm on my 3rd one so have had a mirena for over 17 years and have fortunately never had any side effects..... maybe give it a couple more days (after the weekend ? ) and call the department again or speak to your GP again... it could be something simple like your body getting used to it but it might be that it doesn't suit you as I've heard of people having issues with it...... I hope you manage to get it sorted and if you do improve and keep it then it'll be the best thing - I've not had a period in 17 years which is heaven (I'm currently mid-50's so this is my last one until I've gone through the menopause - which hasn't started yet!) ... Take care xx
Thank you for your reply. I had the mirena to try and stop 18 months of constant bleeding, it seems to have helped that as I've not bled now for a week so that's a positive. I'm hoping it's just my body getting used to it. I actually had more than an hours sleep lastnight to which feels wonderful. Not having a period for 17 years sounds amazing :) x

My husband is a doctor, he’s not a gynaecologist but he says these all sound like very normal Symptoms and usually settle down after 3-6 months of the coil being In Situ but he said to continue trying to get through to where you had it done and if all else fails ask your GP to give them a call as sometimes that gets things moving faster.
Thank you so much. I'm happy to get some professional advice as my GP wasn't interested. I'll have to keep the mirena as I have no other options and it's stopped 18 months of bleeding which is great. My skin is bothering me a lot though, I have so many spots and I've always really looked after my skin. I suppose its normal to have some sort of side effect with hormonal contraception though so I'll stick with it and hope for the best. X

Facesisafool

VIP Member
Hi everyone. New to this thread. Got my coil removed Tuesday after 7 years. Feel like somethings missing when I pee. Any side effects or tips