Mirena coil side effects.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had the mirena coil fitted just over a week ago after having a few years of hell with the copper coil. I'm just wondering if anyone who has the mirena coil has had these side effects?
I'm feeling quite low in mood and my anxiety has worsened. I usually have really clear skin, I'm now covered in spots, I'm barely sleeping and I feel extremely fatigued which isn't great as I'm practically half asleep in work & feel like I could sleep for a week by 5pm. I'm just looking for some hope that symptoms like this will ease because I'm all out of options for any other contraception. My GP told me to contact the department where it was fitted & I've been unable to get hold of them to discuss it so this was the next best option.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering since having the mirena.... I can only speak from experience and say I'm on my 3rd one so have had a mirena for over 17 years and have fortunately never had any side effects..... maybe give it a couple more days (after the weekend ? ) and call the department again or speak to your GP again... it could be something simple like your body getting used to it but it might be that it doesn't suit you as I've heard of people having issues with it...... I hope you manage to get it sorted and if you do improve and keep it then it'll be the best thing - I've not had a period in 17 years which is heaven (I'm currently mid-50's so this is my last one until I've gone through the menopause - which hasn't started yet!) ... Take care xx

Reactions: 2
My husband is a doctor, he’s not a gynaecologist but he says these all sound like very normal Symptoms and usually settle down after 3-6 months of the coil being In Situ but he said to continue trying to get through to where you had it done and if all else fails ask your GP to give them a call as sometimes that gets things moving faster.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering since having the mirena.... I can only speak from experience and say I'm on my 3rd one so have had a mirena for over 17 years and have fortunately never had any side effects..... maybe give it a couple more days (after the weekend ? ) and call the department again or speak to your GP again... it could be something simple like your body getting used to it but it might be that it doesn't suit you as I've heard of people having issues with it...... I hope you manage to get it sorted and if you do improve and keep it then it'll be the best thing - I've not had a period in 17 years which is heaven (I'm currently mid-50's so this is my last one until I've gone through the menopause - which hasn't started yet!) ... Take care xx
Thank you for your reply. I had the mirena to try and stop 18 months of constant bleeding, it seems to have helped that as I've not bled now for a week so that's a positive. I'm hoping it's just my body getting used to it. I actually had more than an hours sleep lastnight to which feels wonderful. Not having a period for 17 years sounds amazing :) x

My husband is a doctor, he’s not a gynaecologist but he says these all sound like very normal Symptoms and usually settle down after 3-6 months of the coil being In Situ but he said to continue trying to get through to where you had it done and if all else fails ask your GP to give them a call as sometimes that gets things moving faster.
Thank you so much. I'm happy to get some professional advice as my GP wasn't interested. I'll have to keep the mirena as I have no other options and it's stopped 18 months of bleeding which is great. My skin is bothering me a lot though, I have so many spots and I've always really looked after my skin. I suppose its normal to have some sort of side effect with hormonal contraception though so I'll stick with it and hope for the best. X

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I’m following, as this is one of my options after my baby is born, but I’m very worried about the side effects.

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I’m following, as this is one of my options after my baby is born, but I’m very worried about the side effects.
Do you have endometriosis/bad periods? If not I would go with the copper coil if it’s offered to you. There’s no hormones so it helps with that. Otherwise the mirena is better for period issues as you don’t have a period with it.

Reactions: 1
Hello I have Mirena (2 years) - had it put in to reverse precancerous / suspected cancer.

Unfortunately, I have had a lot of side effects but it has done the job it's supposed too so I've just coped with them. A big benefit is no periods! Just a tiny bit of spotting here and there that you dont even notice.

It's also worth noting I wasn't on any birth control before this so was quite a shock to my system!

The one thing I would say - if it hasn't settled down 6months or so in - it's not likely too but I really would give it time as mine has calmed down a lot more now.

You are only a week or so in so I really would give it time and try and stay away from the horror stories. For a lot of women, mirena is a godsend. For me, it's literally saved my life potentially so I'll always love that little thing!

I've listed my side effects below if that helps at all

- Cramps - These were pretty much daily - I still get them regularly. It's quite common in women that have not had children unfortunately. I find them very manageable now - probably because im used to them but I do get them regularly still - also some back pain and leg pain here and there but nothing I cant handle. Do not need to take meds 95% of the time

This has been my main bad side effect - the rest has been very manageable

Hair Loss - At the beginning noticed lots of hair coming out in shower. Wasn't noticeable on my head and has stopped now

Bleeding - At the beginning, bled daily for about 2 months - very very light, didnt ever need a pad (I wore period pants if I was ever worried). Now I do get random spotting here and there but again very light, haven't needed a pad other than when I get biopsied and even then its very very light

Weight - I am overweight and managed to lose couple of stone quite quickly but I have now found no matter what I do I cannot lose weight (unless I drop calories a lot). It's very frustrating as my eating habits have completely changed and I really dont eat much at all. I had this problem with other BC in the past though - my metabolism is pretty broken

Skin - Rosacea - I think I had this before though and could also be because im late 30s now!

Anxiety - I do feel this is worse at times - I have anxiety anyway though. One thing I have had is suicidal thoughts - it's really weird. I dont actually want to do it and would never go through with it but when times have been tough, my brain has these random thoughts.

A friend of mine has Mirena - same time as me and the only side effect she still has the odd bit of spotting here and there but not enough to worry about

Sorry for the essay - I hope that helps (might not do at all as I've not had the best experience). For what it's worth, I have researched and read a lot about Mirena and once you're through the first few months, most people have a great time on it and if they don't they just have it taken out. I haven't because I wasn't able too as it was treating me which is why I have stuck with it

Happy to answer any questions you have xx

Reactions: 5
Do you have endometriosis/bad periods? If not I would go with the copper coil if it’s offered to you. There’s no hormones so it helps with that. Otherwise the mirena is better for period issues as you don’t have a period with it.
I have extremely heavy periods so the dr recommended the mirena, but to be honest the heavy periods don’t bother me too much as I’ve learnt to manage them, and the pain is only bad for the first two days. I’m also very irregular so may only have 6/7 periods a year so it’s not a constant issue. I don’t like the idea of the hormones tbh, so I do wonder if the copper would be better, but then I’ve seen people say that increased their period and I definitely couldn’t have that happen.

I have extremely heavy periods so the dr recommended the mirena, but to be honest the heavy periods don’t bother me too much as I’ve learnt to manage them, and the pain is only bad for the first two days. I’m also very irregular so may only have 6/7 periods a year so it’s not a constant issue. I don’t like the idea of the hormones tbh, so I do wonder if the copper would be better, but then I’ve seen people say that increased their period and I definitely couldn’t have that happen.
I know how you feel! I was the same about the hormones so went with the copper coil but mine has now moved in my cervix and isn't doing its job at all, next one I'm going to go for the mirena as I have the same issues with heavy bleeding. The joys of being a woman eh!

Hello I have Mirena (2 years) - had it put in to reverse precancerous / suspected cancer.

Unfortunately, I have had a lot of side effects but it has done the job it's supposed too so I've just coped with them. A big benefit is no periods! Just a tiny bit of spotting here and there that you dont even notice.

It's also worth noting I wasn't on any birth control before this so was quite a shock to my system!

The one thing I would say - if it hasn't settled down 6months or so in - it's not likely too but I really would give it time as mine has calmed down a lot more now.

You are only a week or so in so I really would give it time and try and stay away from the horror stories. For a lot of women, mirena is a godsend. For me, it's literally saved my life potentially so I'll always love that little thing!

I've listed my side effects below if that helps at all

- Cramps - These were pretty much daily - I still get them regularly. It's quite common in women that have not had children unfortunately. I find them very manageable now - probably because im used to them but I do get them regularly still - also some back pain and leg pain here and there but nothing I cant handle. Do not need to take meds 95% of the time

This has been my main bad side effect - the rest has been very manageable

Hair Loss - At the beginning noticed lots of hair coming out in shower. Wasn't noticeable on my head and has stopped now

Bleeding - At the beginning, bled daily for about 2 months - very very light, didnt ever need a pad (I wore period pants if I was ever worried). Now I do get random spotting here and there but again very light, haven't needed a pad other than when I get biopsied and even then its very very light

Weight - I am overweight and managed to lose couple of stone quite quickly but I have now found no matter what I do I cannot lose weight (unless I drop calories a lot). It's very frustrating as my eating habits have completely changed and I really dont eat much at all. I had this problem with other BC in the past though - my metabolism is pretty broken

Skin - Rosacea - I think I had this before though and could also be because im late 30s now!

Anxiety - I do feel this is worse at times - I have anxiety anyway though. One thing I have had is suicidal thoughts - it's really weird. I dont actually want to do it and would never go through with it but when times have been tough, my brain has these random thoughts.

A friend of mine has Mirena - same time as me and the only side effect she still has the odd bit of spotting here and there but not enough to worry about

Sorry for the essay - I hope that helps (might not do at all as I've not had the best experience). For what it's worth, I have researched and read a lot about Mirena and once you're through the first few months, most people have a great time on it and if they don't they just have it taken out. I haven't because I wasn't able too as it was treating me which is why I have stuck with it

Happy to answer any questions you have xx
That's really helpful, thank you. I've heard quite a bit about anxiety and the mirena. Did you have any issues with spotty skin and the mirena?

That's really helpful, thank you. I've heard quite a bit about anxiety and the mirena. Did you have any issues with spotty skin and the mirena?
I would say no - my skin has definitely changed and I do have some rosacea (I think, not diagnosed) but that could also be to do with that im getting older.

My friend on mirena had no issues - if anything her skin is clearer but again probably nothing to do with it!

The thing is - it affects everyone so differently - it's hard to say for sure.

It does seem to be that you either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it and there isn't much inbetween but it does take time for your body to settle with it.

I was on the Mirena in total for about 20 years. No periods in that time. Only side effect I noticed was I found it very very hard to lose weight. After the menopause I had it removed and promptly lost about 14 pounds!

I suffered from depression whilst on hormonal birth control, including the mirena coil. It also got dislodged and had to be removed in the end.

Does anyone have experience with the copper coil?

I suffered from depression whilst on hormonal birth control, including the mirena coil. It also got dislodged and had to be removed in the end.

I do, currently have one in but waiting for a removal after it got dislodged and is doing nothing for me at the moment!

Made my period as regular as clockwork but the pain and heaviness is something that I really dislike about it. My periods vary so much every month, one month can be very heavy and painful and the next can be nothing. It also lengthened my periods, they last about a week now whereas before I was about 4-5 days. It's good in the sense that there's no hormones attached to it.

I was on the Mirena in total for about 20 years. No periods in that time. Only side effect I noticed was I found it very very hard to lose weight. After the menopause I had it removed and promptly lost about 14 pounds!

I have had mine for 10 year ( to stop heavy bleeding, which stopped completely after about 3 months, no real side effects).

Just waiting for a blood test to see if I am over menopause, if so, will have it removed, so hope I loose that weight as well!

I have the mirena coil don’t have any side effects now I love it wouldn’t use any other contraception

I am guessing it’s your body reacting to the new hormones especially if you were on the copper before. Like others have said I would leave it a bit longer for it to settle

I had the copper coil for 6 years, I bled every single day for the last 18 months hence having it removed. Other than that, no other side effects.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to stick with it for a few months to see how my body adjusts to it. I've slept a bit better the last 2 nights but my skin is still raging. As long as I'm not bleeding like before, I can grin and bear this for now.

Hi everyone. New to this thread. Got my coil removed Tuesday after 7 years. Feel like somethings missing when I pee. Any side effects or tips

Has anyone had the coil inserted during your period? Think mine will be here when I'm due to get it in but I don't know what to do.

Has anyone had the coil inserted during your period? Think mine will be here when I'm due to get it in but I don't know what to do.
I think it's actually better to have it inserted during your period but I dont think it matters when it gets done. Mine was inserted a few days before mine was due but I was bleeding due to another issue and it was fine.

Definitely recommend taking some pain just before you go in so they kick in when they're inserting it!

• Heart
I had the mirena coil fitted just over a week ago after having a few years of hell with the copper coil. I'm just wondering if anyone who has the mirena coil has had these side effects?
I'm feeling quite low in mood and my anxiety has worsened. I usually have really clear skin, I'm now covered in spots, I'm barely sleeping and I feel extremely fatigued which isn't great as I'm practically half asleep in work & feel like I could sleep for a week by 5pm. I'm just looking for some hope that symptoms like this will ease because I'm all out of options for any other contraception. My GP told me to contact the department where it was fitted & I've been unable to get hold of them to discuss it so this was the next best option.
I'm in my 3rd Mirena coil. On the whole it's been great but quite painful having it in or changed. Settled down in a few weeks. Unfortunately the pain I was given on the 2nd time , given that I was already constipated, stopped my bowel function completely and I ended up in hospital with a blockage. They also discovered a haemangioma on my liver which I was told could have been the result of taking the contraceptive pill or maybe even the first Mirena. But all a haemangioma is, is a mass of tangled blood vessels. There are no symptoms and it won't do any harm or grow unless I were to become pregnant again, so it's not a case for worry - just sounds worrying when you're first told you have a "non cancerous tumour" on your liver, but once you know what it actually is, it's more reassuring. I got the coil to avoid becoming pregnant so fingers crossed it continues to do its work! No periods, just the odd bit of spotting. I find I spot more when I'm extra stressed, strangely enough. The coil doesn't agree with everyone I guess, but I'd urge giving it a bit more time and then deciding.