Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shoegal17

VIP Member
Hi, I asked my relative, here's their reply;
I've tried Botox, and I've tried Ajovy (which is similar to Aimovig) which was the injection I had bad side effects from, so I've declined to try others that work the same way 🤣! Keep em coming lol😊

So the search continues! Thanks for all your suggestions Margaretta and TwitTwoo, I am sure there is something that can help 😘
If they are on Facebook get them to join the UK Migraine Support page as there are so many suggestions on there and it really helped me. There is also the Migraine Support Charity and their website is also a great source.

A member of my family has paralysis when they wake up, unable to speak or move, this wears off over several hours and they are still recovering the following day. This happens up to 2x a week, and has gone on for 10yrs.

It is a type of migraine apparently - does anyone on the thread have anything like this?
That sounds like either Basilar or Hemiplegic migraines. I have the former but fortunately it is very well controlled these days.
---
Thanks for your reply Margaretta 🙂! My relative has seen doctors - I'm not sure if they are a neurologist - they've tried different meds, also injections, but nothing improved the paralysis attacks.
Do you know the name of the preventative medication your friend was prescribed? I could pass it on to my relative, it may be something they've not tried.
My neurologist prescribed me a low dose of amitriptyline which has been brilliant. I take rizatriptan for acute attacks which isn'trecommended for my type of migraine but I found sumatriptan did something weird to me.

I think topirimate (sp?) was the other potential preventative option but the side effects sounded brutal so I'm glad I managed to avoid it.

hol20x

VIP Member
I don’t drink caffeine cos it triggers migraines for me. I take propranolol to prevent them which does help. I use those cool patches for my forehead which helps me get to sleep when I've got one.

Melian

VIP Member
Finally got an appointment to see neurology.

This is going to get interesting - last had a brain scan in 2016. I found last year I have a rare birth defect ( it can be seen on scans):which no one ever told me about.

uncleted

VIP Member
Thanks so much everyone, I always feel better after posting here! Had a chill day yesterday and although I didn't have particularly healthy meals I did get 3 fruit and veg in there. I feel a lot better today. I've made a note of the circumstances around my last few migraines but wonder whether I do need to do a really in depth one like you say... I just know I'd struggle to keep up with it even though I know it's fairly basic. Does everyone else keep diaries?
I use migraine buddy to track my symptoms, it helped my identify my triggers (period, weather, and lack of sleep). It tracks barometric pressure too, I also use WeatherWell. Im in the states so not sure if these are US based apps, I’ve had to go gluten free while living here. Never had them in Ireland which is strange because weather is my biggest trigger. Loads of triggers over here!

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
Glad to have stumbled across this thread! I was sent to a&e yesterday and had to have a ct scan because the gp was concerned about the migraines I’ve started getting since the beginning of this month. Luckily, the scan came back fine but I’ve been told by the a&e dr that it’s probably migraines and to keep a diary of them. I’ve also been prescribed triptan.

I’ve noticed you’re speaking about Botox, and it’s made me think. I get my forehead and laughter lines done for cosmetic reasons, and have done for years. I’ve never left it as long as I have now between top ups but I’m trying to lose some weight and I’ve put Botox as the reward for my half way point.

Do you find that getting forehead botox helps your migraines? Or is it prescription head botox that’s the only saviour? I’m wondering if it wearing off almost completely has caused this/unmasked the pain.