Migraine Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I’d start a thread on migraines as I’ve suffered from them for around 22 years and have yet to find something that works for me. I’d be interested in what works for you/ didn’t work as my GPs never seem to offer any real solution. Id also be very interested in anyone who’s went down the route of injections/Botox/piercings etc and if they have truly worked as I’m very interested.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
So I don't think what I had was migraines as such, from things I've heard mine definitely weren't as severe. But I would struggle with severe headaches weekly, usually on a Friday/Saturday after a full week of work. I'd get to 6pm on a Friday and I would have a headache behind my eyes making me exhausted, couldn't stay awake and nauseous thankfully never dizzy and I could carry on with life albeit struggling.
I did get the daith piercing, I had it on a Saturday while suffering and the relief was almost instant! I do still get these headaches but no where near as often, maybe every 6 months or so and usually after a tough few days of work rather than just a normal week.
I didn't see a GP prior to this as it was nearly always manageable with paracetamol, now they're far less often and always manageable with pain so I'd say a massive help!

Reactions: 2
So I don't think what I had was migraines as such, from things I've heard mine definitely weren't as severe. But I would struggle with severe headaches weekly, usually on a Friday/Saturday after a full week of work. I'd get to 6pm on a Friday and I would have a headache behind my eyes making me exhausted, couldn't stay awake and nauseous thankfully never dizzy and I could carry on with life albeit struggling.
I did get the daith piercing, I had it on a Saturday while suffering and the relief was almost instant! I do still get these headaches but no where near as often, maybe every 6 months or so and usually after a tough few days of work rather than just a normal week.
I didn't see a GP prior to this as it was nearly always manageable with paracetamol, now they're far less often and always manageable with pain so I'd say a massive help!
I’ve heard of a few people who have had this piercing and said it’s worked for them. I don’t know why but I was always sceptical about it. The same as I’ve heard a few people say their migraines were far worse over lockdowns when they couldn’t get their Botox injections. I’m not a fan of needles so I’ve always stuck to tablets but they seem to take 3/4 days to actually work and one of them leaves me feeling really drowsy so it’s not ideal.

Reactions: 1
I have a daith piercing made no difference whatsoever.

There is a lot of talk on the ear piercing thread about it. Lots of mixed reviews

I used to get aura migraines . The gp gave me some tablets ( it was years ago so can't remember what) but they made me drowsy so they were a last resort.

The gp changed my pill and advised I gave up dairy products. I did and I don't get migraines now so maybe that did the trick .

I've seen various GPs and neurologists over the years and they've not been that helpful. As I cant take beta blockers, there isn't much I can take.

I was put on topiramate. It worked but some of the side effects were unbearable. I'm now (I've not come across anyone else who's had this) slightly deaf because of it.

I currently take pregabilin. It works but I hate the hunger and weight gain.

I've had to cut cheese out of my diet as this is a trigger. As are my periods. I've also been put on the pill which helps. (a 5 day period was a 5 day migraine. I'm only getting them at the start for one day)

I used to have them years ago but thankfully haven't had one in a while (touch wood!).

Up until last year, I'd get a massive headache (not a migraine) every Saturday morning; I put that down to it being my body releasing all the stress of the working week. Since I got my daith pierced (which I did in the hope that my hearing would improve [it has helped]), I've found that I only get slight headaches when I'm under pressure or haven't had my daily coffee.

The only drug I found that would help when I used to get migraines, was Mersyndol (https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/m/Mersyndol.pdf), but they'd leave me feeling really hungover for days afterwards (no headache, just drowsy and nauseous).

I get cluster headaches. It took a while for them to be diagnosed. I am on topiramate (which did wreck everything for a while, but after 13 years am ok on it). I wouldn’t recommend it though.

I was also given amitriptyline but that was horrendous and I had to come off after 2 weeks. Lots of people swear by it though so maybe ask. Also the combined pill is a definite no. So, if you are on it, it is best to change to the progesterone only one.

I am now on the topiramate, oxygen when the clusters are awful and Gammacore. I have given up my job and volunteer because they are so bad. I wish people could understand migraines more because they aren’t just a headache, they can ruin your life.

Have suffered since I was 9, although GP told my mum I was too young for migraines (?), am now 41 and don't get them as often as I did and in my early 20's was on beta blockers as was getting one daily. The only things I find that help are a cool shower/bath, and trying to sleep.

I have been told magic mushrooms in micro dose helps. Someone I trust got them for me and I am about to try out

Will report if any good

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve had migraines for almost 15 years. Most of mine are related to hormones, alcohol and changes in air pressure. I’ve been prescribed sumatriptan tablets as a treatment pretty much since i was first diagnosed. I’m lucky in that I don’t seem to be that affected by the drowsiness that a lot of people seem to suffer from when they take sumatriptan.

i've been on amitriptyline for five or six years for chronic pain so can't really comment how well it's helped my migraines - although i did notice a big (bad) difference when i tried switching to nortriptyline! meant to be more suited to migraines but i was in agony when on it so quickly switched back.

i found oestrogen was a trigger when taking my week pill break (on provera for pcos so progesterone only) and they've improved slightly since switching to desogestrel with no break.

mine suddenly got worse about a year ago so prescribed sumatriptan which worked initially with x2 50mg two hours apart but more recently (migraines happening less often thankfully) it's not as effective??

Reactions: 4
I forgot to say, I had sumatriptan pills, nasal sprays snd injections. The injections worked but I bled because I got so stressed and then couldn’t do them at work. Alcohol was a major trigger so that went 13 years ago 🥺. Air pressure is too and the changing light at the equinoxes.

A friend who has migraines that paralyse her face has Botox and the sumatriptan injections. She really suffered during covid when she wasn’t getting the Botox as frequently.

mine fills my whole face with an acid like feeling - sometimes can't even drink through a straw. i used to get really bad nasal burning as an aura (??) but now that happens randomly with no migraine after. i can physically feel the pain move to the other side of my head when I lie on one side too which is maybe weird idk and if it's just around my eye sockets the sensation gets 'trapped' by the bridge of my nose?? also got rosacea which can flare at the same time (mask wearing triggers both but randomly) so the facial flush / burning combined with the feeling that my cheeks and jaw are being eroded away is literally torture!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
mine fills my whole face with an acid like feeling - sometimes can't even drink through a straw. i used to get really bad nasal burning as an aura (??) but now that happens randomly with no migraine after. i can physically feel the pain move to the other side of my head when I lie on one side too which is maybe weird idk and if it's just around my eye sockets the sensation gets 'trapped' by the bridge of my nose?? also got rosacea which can flare at the same time (mask wearing triggers both but randomly) so the facial flush / burning combined with the feeling that my cheeks and jaw are being eroded away is literally torture!
But like I’ve been told by so many people.. just lie down in a dark room and take migralieve and you’ll be fine.

People have no idea do they?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I used to have them years ago but thankfully haven't had one in a while (touch wood!).

Up until last year, I'd get a massive headache (not a migraine) every Saturday morning; I put that down to it being my body releasing all the stress of the working week. Since I got my daith pierced (which I did in the hope that my hearing would improve [it has helped]), I've found that I only get slight headaches when I'm under pressure or haven't had my daily coffee.

The only drug I found that would help when I used to get migraines, was Mersyndol (https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/m/Mersyndol.pdf), but they'd leave me feeling really hungover for days afterwards (no headache, just drowsy and nauseous).
We have those in the UK, sold as Syndol. I find them brilliant for migraines but they seem to go in and out of stock all the time, which is irritating (also you have to be careful as the have codeine in so you can only take them for a few days at a time, max.)

I forgot to say, I had sumatriptan pills, nasal sprays snd injections. The injections worked but I bled because I got so stressed and then couldn’t do them at work. Alcohol was a major trigger so that went 13 years ago 🥺. Air pressure is too and the changing light at the equinoxes.
I was given the nasal spray. It worked. But I was fed up of sinus infections. Horrible! Currently on Maxalt which is so much better. (it's a tablet which disolves on your tongue)

Thank you so much to everyone who’s replied! It’s so interesting hearing everyone’s experiences.

I find the lack of understanding around migraines both from the professionals and from family/friends/colleagues who don’t suffer from them so disheartening. Even after al these years some people really close to me think they are headaches.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I get them sometimes - though I think mine are much less severe than some here. I don't know quite why but I am finding I have had less the last few years, thankfully. Stress and changes in barometric pressure are definitely my two main triggers (I also have an unproven theory the SNRI I was on at the time was making things worse).

I came across a woman on Tiktok who gets migraines and talks really openly about her experiences with different treatments - Tiktok unsafe link https://tattle.life/threads/19920/ Not sure if its super helpful, but thought worth sharing!

The lack of understanding is really disheartening @Blanche Hunt - especially when people conflate it with a headache. I get headaches quite often and migraines are so much worse.

I have suffered 2 types of migraines for many years one kind deffo linked to menstrual cycle sure as fate i d get the most horrendous headache I would be chalk white along with waves of nausea followed by my period starting about 12 hours later they would last for about 2 days, if I’m honest I did feel ruled by them for many years I could although now I’m in the menopause thankfully they have dissipated and now when I do get the odd one deffo not as severe there taking 2 paracetamols along with 2 ibuprofen did help ( and lying down with a hot water bottle clamped to my head also I used a fore head stick it didn’t take it away but did offer a little respite
I also from time to time suffer from auras Iall of a sudden get a flashing oval shaped halo in front of my eyes i find it’s triggered by direct sunlight or bright lights as soon as the flashing starts I take pain and have to lie down because I know as soon as the flashing stops the pain starts