Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BlairWaldorf86

VIP Member
28022002-B425-4076-91E1-F47607511ACA.jpeg

Wow, I am sure that some people have depression or other mental health problems so bad that their “bad days” DO last and last and last and feel like they will never end. This is just so unbelievably patronising and trite 🤮🤮🤮

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 19

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
I am starting to think the tosh he puts out is dangerous. He peddles the idea that his books are helpful for those in need but they are full of triggering statements and in my opinion and experience his posts are verging on harmful now.
Anyone who has really suffered depression, ED and schizophrenia is not going to be helped by a statement like “learn to live with the unliveable” and “learn to accept the unacceptable feelings”.

I am on the verge of writing a very long email to him (I won’t because I know the rules) about why some unacceptable feelings in some disorders need to be dealt with otherwise the consequences may be fatal. He has no fucking idea.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19

Switchstreetz

VIP Member
He won’t have been in Eldon square it didn’t have a Waitrose then!!!! Can you imagine?

He probably meant he was in the metro centre because you know, that’s in the north east too 🙃🙃🙃.
If we could build a time machine I know we're supposed to stop Hitler, but can we take a detour on the way to see Matt Haig crying on the Ferris wheel in metroland?

• Haha
Reactions: 18

Vanelope

VIP Member
He writes self help fortune cookies. How much paper do his books waste with one sentence chapters? It’s infuriating how much money he gets paid, there was a time when authors were asked their advances to give some transparency to the industry and his was embarrassingly big compared to other authors, especially women and people of colour. He was even embarrassed about it and only said 6 figures or something vague when other writers said £500 or £2000.

• Angry
  • Wow

Awkward_Somber

It's frustrating to see him talk about having a non alcoholic G&T to be "good" but then ending up having a proper gin anyway. Some of them are really excellent and as a non-drinker, literally for mental health reasons, this is so annoying to see.

• Sad
  • Heart

schmetterling

I am convinced he's just a psyop face for an algorithm based bot which generates saccharine platitudes based on whatever 'self care twitter' nonsense is spouting on the daily. The 250 word paragraphs he writes are on the verge of nonsensical, I can barely understand them o_O He churns out so many books it's bizarre. Pulling my tinfoil hat down over my ears coz I don't want CBT hummus rays beamed into my brain. Beep boop! 🤖

• Haha

kachoochoo

VIP Member
it's entirely too early for this shit

20210714_081606.jpg

20210714_081624.jpg

20210714_081636.jpg

but first of all, you started it, pal. you decided to post about therapy for shits and giggles. literally no one cares if you're cool or not or whatever. but we do care that you are an extremely privileged man who has made a name for himself and a lot of money from writing about mental health.

so, yes, it does matter when you decide to "joke" about it.

you could have simply not responded to that writers' advance thing and we'd have never known about the 600k

and well done on the use of "disproportionate trolling" and "bad faith attacks" all the right buzzwords to get the credulous stans feeling sorry for you

• Angry
  • Heart

Peeltheavocado

Chatty Member
🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ Oh he’s so smug and condescending.
Someone should send him into a picu or a forensics unit with his little book of quotes. Or hand them to people with severe mental illness. I know some of their opinions already on this man, it’s saccharine sweet and fluffy 🤢 The total opposite to what severe and enduring mental illness is.
He does my nut in.

• Heart

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I must say, the words are average at best. Fighting over them is a bit cringe as it makes it seem like he feels he’s written a work of genius. It’s actual nonsense which wouldn’t be out of place on a cushion in TKMaxx.

Good for him for turning the common experience of depression into something people can relate to. But wow does he take himself seriously!

• Haha

kachoochoo

VIP Member
been workshopping something. original for comparison:

20210709_195015.jpg
20210709_195026.jpg

Hummus (kachoochoo's version)

i love cooking, me, but also not cooking, that seems too hard. oh, hummus, how I love thee. your creamy yet sharp flavour, your smooth yet textured, er, texture. always waiting to offer your comfort. like a chickpea blanket of love. like all good middle class and aspirational working class people, I loooove yotam ottolenghi. he's a comfort blanket of middle eastern love made of complicated and lengthy lists of ingredients. I love music too, music is healing. let's have a musical break

"- will I cook like ottolenghi again?
- well of course you will
- well, I couldn't before
(piano break)
ottolenghi, ottolenghi
ottolenghi, ottolenghi
ottolenghi, ottolenghi
ooh ooh ottolenghi
(ottolenghi, ottolenghi)"

I love hummus, I love yotam ottolenghi, next up is my adoration of ocado, just gotta finish my first romance novel that features cupcake recipes at the back. big love ❤

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17

Calabria

VIP Member
His books strike me as just a word salad version of those “live, laugh, love” signs.

• Haha
  • Heart

Vanelope

VIP Member
How dare he imply that mental illness means you are not a critical thinker. The light the calm the soft. You mean the stuff he writes that is meaningless drivel. It’s only eating blancmange in a world of food.

• Angry
  • Wow

notthefullshilling

Chatty Member
Bloody hell. Someone needs to take his phone away. Way to make it all about him today. He must be a nightmare to live with.

As someone who has experienced close family members being sectioned and dying, his inane take on mental health really winds me up.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart

Bread

Chatty Member
I have delurked to say how fabulous this place is, and how many fingers it has put on a spot which was making me uncomfortable for an unfathomable reason.

^ Yes and when I had clinical depression I could barely move, never mid run. He is so bloody reductive. & actually, anxiety and depression have tons of physical symptoms as well as mental so not even sure what he's droning on about tbh.

• Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
3C0C3407-0464-4006-B4FC-658693C207E0.jpeg

He is just one sentence away from a lawsuit from Skittles (tm).

Also, how does he know whether or not I may be perfect in something in my future if I deprive my life now by spending 10000 hours practising?

Twat off and take more photos of Brighton. We don’t give a shit about your pebbly beach. I have sea glass near me☺.

(sorry - I am watching a rubbish film with Liam Neeson called the Ice Road and these lorries keep falling though the ice, the stress of the film is getting to me!)

• Haha
  • Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Navel gazing post today.

I just can’t deal with him today. Yes Matt, my dog has been massively influential in improving my MH but unfortunately I don’t have fucking pebbly beach to go walking on or have 3000 fawning comments to make me feel better about myself.

He has no idea. And he can fuck off with doing the Jack Monroe thing of “calling in my lawyers over being defamed online by the nasty, lazy, hateful trolls who have nothing better to do with their sad little lives.”

He makes me feel sick. The only good thing is that three of his shit, plagiarised books were brought into the charity shop on Friday and I hid them so no unsuspecting soul bought them.

• Haha
  • Heart