Manic Street Preachers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve loved them low key for a very long time. Lost hours reading about Richie and what might have happened to him.

Reactions: 5
I’ve loved them low key for a very long time. Lost hours reading about Richie and what might have happened to him.
I think so many people end up doing that! I always low-key judged everyone who only really cared about Richey as 'not a true fan' but it's such an interesting story even without factoring in the music so I can understand it now!

Reactions: 4
It’s funny in that if you asked any of our friends they’d say my husband was the Manics fan but I’ve loved them longer, read all the books I could find and watched the documentaries. I identified with Richie in that I shared some of his methods for ‘coping’ back then but I don’t think I over identified with him the way some around me did. I can’t ever claim to know what anyone else is thinking feeling etc.

I am in a couple of FB groups including a Richie specific one but people get strangely possessive about all of the members and Richie in particular is given this godlike status!

First band I was ever truly obsessed with, and I mean properly obsessed. Always a place in my heart for them, though the last album of theirs I owned was Journal For Plague Lovers. I can't listen to anything after that. I listen to the old stuff regularly; I prefer to remember them young and beautiful.

Reactions: 8
I was only 11 when my dad got me into them so i never got the chance to see them with Richey but i've loved them ever since 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm so gutted I'm so young and missed out on peak Manics! I was born the week Suicide is Painless got to the top 10 in 1992. I do still adore them with my entire heart and have packed 30+ gigs into the past 10 years. That's the great thing about them, they are still going strong after all this time so no one has really missed out on seeing them altogether

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I still have the Close Up BBC documentary on VHS that I taped off the TV when it was on. Its available on YouTube for anyone who hasn't seen it. My first memory of MSP was seeing Motorcycle Emptiness on the Chart Show on ITV, but I really started getting into them when they performed Roses in the Hospital on Top of the Pops. I picked up the Forever Delayed album in Poundland the other day to have on in the car. I lost my original copy years ago during a house move. It always annoyed me that it's the radio edit of Motorcycle Emptiness on there and not the full version. I love the guitar coda at the end but they cut it off. Sacrilege. JDB is a most underrated guitarist. Sleepflower such an underrated song too, good choice of username 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Did anyone ever hear the James groupie rumours...
Oh he definitely used to partake back in the day. There was a nice story about him on Popbitch ages ago that he went back to a fans flat, did the business, and in the morning he'd tidied up and been out and bought coffee and croissants. What a guy :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
First band I was ever truly obsessed with, and I mean properly obsessed. Always a place in my heart for them, though the last album of theirs I owned was Journal For Plague Lovers. I can't listen to anything after that. I listen to the old stuff regularly; I prefer to remember them young and beautiful.
Same! Although I did buy Futurology which is great and is worth a listen if you haven’t heard it. The other ones are... not my jam.

Same! Although I did buy Futurology which is great and is worth a listen if you haven’t heard it. The other ones are... not my jam.
Thanks, I will have to give that one a go, I've not heard that one at all. Lifeblood was another one I paid no attention to either. I'm sure there's a couple of others that passed me by but I am so out of touch these days. Send Away the Tigers was OK I thought.

Reactions: 1
Motorcycle Emptiness is the backdrop to some of the best moments of my teens.

• Heart
Oh he definitely used to partake back in the day. There was a nice story about him on Popbitch ages ago that he went back to a fans flat, did the business, and in the morning he'd tidied up and been out and bought coffee and croissants. What a guy :LOL:
I remember that story! Was a relief to hear he wasn’t an hole (not then, anyway) because he’d said some pretty misogynistic things in his youth, about women being “irrelevant” to him or something (equally, those could have been the bitter words of someone recently dumped 🤣)

I have friends in Cardiff from my Manics fan circles back in the day, and one now sees JDB on the school run as their kids go to the same school. Imagine hero worshipping a musician all through your teens/20s, and then exchanging small talk with them in the playground. I’d die. He also did a PTA fundraiser for them a couple of years ago and played a small concert for them ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Hahaha yes there have been many great 'reviews'!! I'll never forget one from a groupie website years ago where someone said 'the only fat thing about that man is his 🍆' whenever I remember it it cracks me up 😂

• Haha
I was a big fan of the Manics when I was a teenager, this would have been 2004/2005ish. A friend and I went to see them in Belfast at the Waterfront Hall. It has a Hilton hotel next to it so we hung about there aaaaaaall day hoping to get a glance of them, and made friends with the hotel concierge/doorman who promised to give us a nod when they came down to go over to the venue.
James was polite but a little standoffish, Sean was shy but Nicky was an absolute charmer and super friendly. I gave him a leopard print scarf and he wore it on stage. I was delighted!!

• Heart
Reactions: 12