Manic Street Preachers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved The Manics back in the 90s, not the biggest fan of anything they did after This is My Truth, Tell Me Yours. My claim to fame is I saw Nicky Wire walking down the street in Manchester in 2000 and I winked at him 😭 (I cringed so hard at myself). He smiled back at me.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh he definitely used to partake back in the day. There was a nice story about him on Popbitch ages ago that he went back to a fans flat, did the business, and in the morning he'd tidied up and been out and bought coffee and croissants. What a guy :LOL:
Glad there are other gents around not just me haha. Love the group. James has one of the best voices in the business. It's a sham they have only had one number 1 single.

Reactions: 6
Glad there are other gents around not just me haha. Love the group. James has one of the best voices in the business. It's a sham they have only had one number 1 single.
*putting on my pedantic Manics fan hat* Actually, they had 2 - If You Tolerate This in 1998, and Masses against the classes in the first week of 2000 🤓

• Heart
Reactions: 7
*putting on my pedantic Manics fan hat* Actually, they had 2 - If You Tolerate This in 1998, and Masses against the classes in the first week of 2000 🤓
In 2000 I bought a limited edition vinyl of that I think only 10000 copies were made and it took about the 5th shop I went in to find a copy left.

Reactions: 4
Only had one number 1 album which surprised even me when I had a look yesterday.

What is everyone's favourite album? The Holy Bible is easily the most critically acclaimed, and it is my favourite, but I always had a soft spot for GATS, in particular the singles off that album are among the best things they've ever done.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Only had one number 1 album which surprised even me when I had a look yesterday.

What is everyone's favourite album? The Holy Bible is easily the most critically acclaimed, and it is my favourite, but I always had a soft spot for GATS, in particular the singles off that album are among the best things they've ever done.
Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours as they remind me of my high school teen years and the songs are still amazing especially Australia. Special mention for the greatest hits album to have them all on the same CD including some of their best songs before they got mainstream such as Motown Junk. I do think Your Love Alone is underrated. Nina has a lovely voice.

Couldn’t agree more! GATS, as an album, is pretty rubbish in parts, but the singles are incredible.

Everything Must Go will always be special to me because it’s the album that got me into the Manics. The Holy Bible speaks for itself, it’s just immense. I also have a huge soft spot for Send Away The Tigers.

Couldn’t agree more! GATS, as an album, is pretty rubbish in parts, but the singles are incredible.
Yes, Sleepflower is a banger too. If they'd made Roses in the Hospital track 4 instead of the turgid Yourself, I wouldn't spend much time listening past track 5. I do enjoy Generation Terrorists as well, even though it could do with a few tracks culling. Always had a soft spot for Condemned to Rock and Roll at the end.

JDB has a fantastic voice. Went to see them at Brixton about 18 years ago and they were fantastic as you’d expect. Nicky was wearing a pink feather boa and smashed his guitar up at the end ❤

Forgot how hot JDB was back in the day PHEW

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
JDB has a fantastic voice. Went to see them at Brixton about 18 years ago and they were fantastic as you’d expect. Nicky was wearing a pink feather boa and smashed his guitar up at the end ❤

This is the James peak 😍

Like most my fave albums are probably Holy Bible/Everything Must Go, but Journal For Plague Lovers is amazing. Just shows their musical talent has never waned. Futurology is also great, it's a shame it wasn't played live more

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Saw them twice in Manchester in the early 2000's, love how they only released Masses against the Classes for one day and it still got to number 1.

Reactions: 5

I'm always amazed how short James actually is. In most videos he looks like the Terminator.

Reactions: 2
James is really short 😄 I’m guessing about 5’5”? Sean is shorter still. It’s always comical seeing them photographed with Nicky towering over them.

This performance with Green Gartside is hilarious because James looks so tiny in comparison. Love the song though!

Reactions: 1
James is shorter than me and I'm 5ft 8, so 5ft 5 sounds about correct. His handshake is bonecrushing though!

What are everyone's Richey theories? I remember there was a blind item last year, about a songwriter who had written loads of hits, it was implied it was him...one of my friends was convinced it was real

Reactions: 1
That blind was discussed in the celeb mysteries thread. My opinion is it’s a load of steaming BS 😄

Richey was no commercial songwriter. Not to mention the fact he only ever wrote words. Never music.

I think Richey is dead. Occam's razor and all that. From everything I have read about him and what I have heard from people who actually met him, he was clearly not a well man at all. I have seen the conspiracy theories and stuff, but I don't give it much credence. Like other common suicide points such as the Humber, the Severn is strongly tidal; some bodies are found, others are lost forever, which just fuels the conspiracies and adds to the anguish of the loved ones. I am local to the Humber and basically once a body is past Spurn Point, it's lost to the open water, especially if the tidal times are 'favourable' for it. I imagine the Severn has a similar point.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I love the Manics, I was always a James person. Still would.
I agree Richey died, I just don't think he'd have let his family wonder all those years, even if he'd just sent a postcard. I also don't think he was well enough to fake his own death.

Ive spent nearly 30 years wanting one of them Cultural Chernobyl t shirts! That model was always in more! magazine, I think her name is Blanche. I'd love to know what she's doing now.