Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow. People unfollow each other all the time for so many reasons, if she's being passive aggressive about it then that's ridiculous. Least of all because those people won't see it.

If it's a handful of people unfollowing her then that's part of influencer life, surely? If it's a LOT of people then maybe don't draw attention to it and reflect on why they're unfollowing you. Or just accept that if your content has changed then your followers will probably change too.
She's put it down to her sharing stuff about the football racism (possible reason) but she's been sassy all week since reading "hate" so I think she's just latching onto the football issues to be performative. Her mood recently has been so sassy.

ETA: calling out racism is a good thing but a lot of influencers do it in a "look at me" way. I also think a lot of people will have unfollowed her recently for acting moody about the house renovation s and garding etc.

Reactions: 8
It's weird that she's blaming the loss of followers on her anti-racism posts - I wouldn't imagine her followers would be in that demographic. Still, I guess it's much easier for her to believe that rather than acknowledge that her content is as dull and dreary as her design aesthetic. Who would have thought that people don't want to stick around to hear an insufferable twit whining about tradesmen, brass taps, and ceiling beams.

Reactions: 11
This video she just released about what she does all day as a full time YouTuber was clearly meant to be a dig at the HaTeRs but it completely failed. As predicted, she barely does anything all day. A few brand shoots, some emails? In no way is this comparable to full time jobs most people are having to work. Girl is downright delusional.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
This video she just released about what she does all day as a full time YouTuber was clearly meant to be a dig at the HaTeRs but it completely failed. As predicted, she barely does anything all day. A few brand shoots, some emails? In no way is this comparable to full time jobs most people are having to work. Girl is downright delusional.
Absolutely this. She's so removed from reality that she has no concept of what a 9-5 workday actually entails, and there are people who work far longer hours than that and have to juggle so much more. If she was trying to prove us to us how "hard" she works, she's well and truly failed.

Reactions: 9
While launching her influencer career she lived in her parents’ holiday let on their property and she ‘worked’ for her mum. The privilege is real.

and: of course no one can help if their parents want to help them and are in a position to do so. But don’t claim you manifested your success (as Madeleine has done) without acknowledging the HUGE advantages you have had in life.

And she claims leaving the flat she shared with her sister to move into her parents holiday let was ‘very scary’.I know some people can’t help how sheltered their lives are but really?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Yikes. I’m watching her latest offering and it’s giving me anxiety. No wonder she had anxiety. She seems to be such a bad planner + preparer. Wouldn’t you know what you’re shooting before the photographer arrives, and what the brand wants and all of that detailed information. There’s a lot of talking about working and very little actual work.
Then there’s a spiel about what she might do tomorrow, she’s not sure, maybe some editing. And oh by the way, you can schedule Instagram posts and it’s great. I’m not even on social media and I knew you could schedule posts — why hasn’t she been doing this all along?! She could really help herself with a bit or organization, planning ahead, and forethought.

Reactions: 6
Yikes. I’m watching her latest offering and it’s giving me anxiety. No wonder she had anxiety. She seems to be such a bad planner + preparer. Wouldn’t you know what you’re shooting before the photographer arrives, and what the brand wants and all of that detailed information. There’s a lot of talking about working and very little actual work.
Then there’s a spiel about what she might do tomorrow, she’s not sure, maybe some editing. And oh by the way, you can schedule Instagram posts and it’s great. I’m not even on social media and I knew you could schedule posts — why hasn’t she been doing this all along?! She could really help herself with a bit or organization, planning ahead, and forethought.
The fact that she has no clue what she’s doing the next day says it all. My work week is booked up from 9-5 weeks in advanced and that’s just with visits and meetings.

She’s so privileged and fair enough - plenty of people are, myself included. But it irritates me to see people like Madeleine who are so steeped in privilege they can’t even see their own privilege if it slapped them in the face! She’s become insufferable lately. Like many people on this thread I followed her cause I loved the vegan recipes and minimalism and it inspired me to become vegan and more minimal. The competes 180 makes her seem so disingenuous.
And I’ll admit, on first glance of seeing the new video title, I kind of thought, okay she will show us exactly what her work life is like and justify why it is so stressy being an influencer (or whatever she brands herself as these days). Turns out it’s yet another video steeped in privilege and is only going to lose her more followers (surely?!) what’s more worrying is that Alex, her sister and presumably other people she has working for her has seen this video and thinks it’s fine to post. She really does live in an echo chamber! No wonder her ego is so fragile.

Reactions: 12
And you just KNOW she’s bulked that out to make it look as much as possible.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So she is saying the brand's she works with aren't "quality" in her latest video? Interesting.

Also, she "only lets Bare Minerals near her face" one week. Apart from if she is selling Botanics or loving Purito BB cream.

It really annoys me when people say things one week then change it the next. It is okay to not talk in definites (oh apart from when they pay and freebie you up).

Reactions: 9
Nope, still don't understand what she does with her day other than being a self-entitled whiny princess in her mouldy Georgian-Country-House. So her sister does all her business planning for her (and likely negotiates with brands), her boyfriend edits her vlogs, and her friend takes the pictures? (and presumably edits those as well). So again, what exactly does this ninny do other than play with her hair in front of the camera and make posing faces (seriously what IS it with the stupid hand gestures like the hand below the chin or on the side of the face?). Other that that she takes the dog for a walk, goes the the gym, eats lunch and makes a weekly meal plan. Give me strength!

Interesting she said they wanted to go to 'quality' rather than quantity content. I'm guessing she's trying to target a much wealthier audience who have a massive disposable income to spend on countless bottles of serum and home decor products. The same audience who buy one beeswax vegan wax lunch cloth and act like they are saving the planet. News flash: just because a product calls itself 'botanical' or 'eco' it doesn't mean that it's a good choice for the environment, and at the end of the day it's just more stuff to hoard in your Georgian-country-house bathroom. There isn't really any difference between Madeleine and a used-car-dealer flogging junk cars...although the car dealer is probably more honest because he's not pretending to be anything other than what he is.

Reactions: 17
I watched up to the point where she had a gym break at 3 in the afternoon and was marveling at how quiet it was.... The three different brand shoots in one day just makes it obvious how much advertising sorry, brand work influencers do.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The shame of it is that Madeleine would have been so well placed to open up about how the worlds of sustainability/minimalism and influencing are colliding - the greenwashing, the consumerism, the fact that buying more can never be good for the planet, how the more stuff she rids herself of, the more unsolicited free ‘green’ stuff arrives at her door. How many sustainability influencers start off with the best intentions?

An open conversation about how to ethically walk that line would have been refreshing eg here’s my checklist for brands I won’t work with (do they pay fair wages, are they based off shore, do they pay tax etc), here’s what I have been struggling with as sustainability/minimalism influencer, here’s what I do with all the stuff I am sent, etc etc.

I suspect the anger she’s directing towards the dissenters is her own cognitive dissonance. She knows she sold out for the megabucks and deep down loathes herself for it but not as much as she loves the wealth and interpersonal power it’s brought her.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I’m disappointed she’s called out the troll by name. He has absolutely no right to comment on her body, that’s unacceptable. But to tag him in her story, knowing her followers will go and pounce, makes her just as bad.

Reactions: 4
I’m disappointed she’s called out the troll by name. He has absolutely no right to comment on her body, that’s unacceptable. But to tag him in her story, knowing her followers will go and pounce, makes her just as bad.
What was that about?

The shame of it is that Madeleine would have been so well placed to open up about how the worlds of sustainability/minimalism and influencing are colliding - the greenwashing, the consumerism, the fact that buying more can never be good for the planet, how the more stuff she rids herself of, the more unsolicited free ‘green’ stuff arrives at her door. How many sustainability influencers start off with the best intentions?

An open conversation about how to ethically walk that line would have been refreshing eg here’s my checklist for brands I won’t work with (do they pay fair wages, are they based off shore, do they pay tax etc), here’s what I have been struggling with as sustainability/minimalism influencer, here’s what I do with all the stuff I am sent, etc etc.

I suspect the anger she’s directing towards the dissenters is her own cognitive dissonance. She knows she sold out for the megabucks and deep down loathes herself for it but not as much as she loves the wealth and interpersonal power it’s brought her.
You summed her her situation up so well! I also think she missed out on a real opportunity to do something on youtube that not many are doing. I guess being honest and transparent about products and the companies behind them doesn't attract the ad revenue and certainly won't pay the bills in the #Georgian #Country #Cottage #House. It's all about jumping on whatever bandwagon is popular to make $$ whether that's veganism, minimalism, sustainability... It's how she built her 'brand'

Reactions: 5
I don't always think it's helpful to compare people and I don't want this to come across as pitting women against each other, I'm literally talking about this from a sustainability and content perspective.

In a video yesterday Leena Norms showed Immy around her house and they discussed the different choices she had made in terms of products, furniture, food etc and how environmentally friendly they are (it was a fun video, I recommend it).

It made me think how interesting it would be to go around Maddie's Georgian home in a similar way, especially with her being someone who preaches sustainability. 'This is my cupboard full of gifted skincare products, this is my new bedroom furniture I bought when I moved house, this is my new Apple Mac, these are my romantic single glazed windows, these are all my new dresses, this is my new kitchen, these are my new kitchen stools....'.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Has anyone watched the latest video? Is it drastically different to previous videos on the topic?

Reactions: 2
Has anyone watched the latest video? Is it drastically different to previous videos on the topic?
I was wondering the same thing as she's uploaded several videos about the same topic. I won't be watching!

Reactions: 2
The thing I find most bizarre is that she's made a 180 turn just as people are waking up to the impact of climate change etc.

It's like she needs to go against the grain for the sake of it?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.