Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if their parents have given them an early wedding present of a wad of cash towards the house? Or, I'm wondering if they are a generally really tight couple who have never spent any of their money over the years, now suddenly they are letting loose?
Madeleine mentioned that her parents moved recently, so I wonder if they’ve downsized and given her some of their equity ?

Reactions: 8
I would hope she has the self awareness to realise that what she’s doing at the moment doesn’t fit in with all she was claiming she was before, hence the criticism. You can’t just jump from one thing to the other and pretend the past didn’t happen. I do like Maddy & Alex but the tone deafness at the moment is startling.

Reactions: 11
I agree, that they have just become utterly tone deaf to what is going on in the world for many at the moment. They are coming across as a couple of over privileged brats and it's sad because I used to find them so down to earth and likeable despite both coming from wealthy families. They were probably my favourite youtubers when they were staying in her parents cottage and then in Brighton.
Maddie posts a lot of things like that quote above and it's just tiring. I always noticed that she didn't take any kind of criticism well, but she seems to have become far worse. I feel like she's incredibly dismissive of her viewers and it isn't nice to witness. It was mentioned before that she has a victim mentality and I'm certainly seeing that a lot at the moment. Random, but I also find her to have become quite vain as well. 😄
I also agree that she's missed a huge opportunity with her garden. Other youtubers I watch that live a minimalist/sustainable lifestyle have taken time to show videos of them learning how to plant and grow seeds for fruit and vegetables and how they've learnt from their successes and failures. Maybe she just isn't interested in gardening which is fine, but like I said it would have at least made for some different content.

Reactions: 14
Maddie and Immy both used to be friends with Blue Ollis but I sense there's been a fall out. Any one got the tea?
Blue Ollis did do a Dove (I think) campaign that a lot of people were up in arms over as it didn't fit in with the vegan side - I stopped following her at this point because the justification seemed to be more about the money than the product (this is just my opinion and every vegan has their own rules!); so don't know if it was something to do with that - or just that people go separate routes?!?!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
the tone deafness at the moment is startling.
That's why I'm not enjoying her content. Sounding so smug and going on about her 'dreamy' wardrobe, wanting 2 living rooms (still hilarious to me, who has this?!) and not acknowledging how very fortunate they are while teasing viewers with sneak peaks of their massive house.

Blue Ollis did do a Dove (I think) campaign that a lot of people were up in arms over as it didn't fit in with the vegan side - I stopped following her at this point because the justification seemed to be more about the money than the product (this is just my opinion and every vegan has their own rules!); so don't know if it was something to do with that - or just that people go separate routes?!?!
Off topic but I saw this and I was so surprised because it didn't fit with her values at all! I unfollowed Blue around this time as well. Everything got very wordy and deep and meaningful, even if it didn't need to be (if that makes sense). I also can't relate to her and her partner's particular brand of veganism (cube of truth showing videos of animal cruelty etc). I'm vegan but every little counts and shock tactics often just alienate people.

Reactions: 10
Life cycle of the privileged:

0-18: This is a nice life, I hope I can have a similar one when I grow up, I can't see any reason why not. I just need to work hard like my parents tell me.

18-30ish: Starts uni, meets people of all backgrounds and releases how tough other people have it and nothing is guaranteed. Starts to live in squalor at uni, then gets a low paying job after graduation, and subconsciously worries they won't reach the lifestyle they grew up with. Convinces themselves they actually don't need that lifestyle, plus it's unfair anyway! Money doesn't even make you happy! Minimalism! Tiny houses! Sustainability! Private schools are the devil! Campaigning for anything and everything!

30ish onwards: Privilege most likely catches up with them, through connections, inheritance, education, partners, such that they are much more financially stable that the average person their age. Things like Madeleine being able to live rent free with relatives, potential gifts of money to help with house purchase. Realised they CAN live that life with a huge detached house in the countryside, in a fancy school district, maybe even private school. Oh, did I say I was a minimalist? Never mind...

* disclaimer: I made this for a bit of fun and of course it's not true 100%, and not trying to shame those who are or aren't privileged. I'm not even saying for certain that Madeleine did have this experience or outlook, just that if she did, she isn't the first person and sure as hell won't be the last. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I feel like Madeleine spends way too much time on social media and it's probably not good for her even though it's her job. My guess is that she's constantly on there comparing herself to other influencers and it's making her miserable, entitled, and jealous of other online creators. Comparison really is the thief of joy and all that...

I don't want to diminish her mental health struggles because god knows it's been a horrible time for all of us, but I do think she needs a bit of a reality check and to develop an awareness that she's extremely privileged in comparison to so many.

These days her content seems to be about how it looks rather than just enjoying the process of doing up a new house and garden and showing the good and bad sides. Plus, if I hear her say the word 'lovely' one more time I think I will 🤮

Reactions: 8
I feel like Madeleine spends way too much time on social media and it's probably not good for her even though it's her job. My guess is that she's constantly on there comparing herself to other influencers and it's making her miserable, entitled, and jealous of other online creators. Comparison really is the thief of joy and all that...

I don't want to diminish her mental health struggles because god knows it's been a horrible time for all of us, but I do think she needs a bit of a reality check and to develop an awareness that she's extremely privileged in comparison to so many.

These days her content seems to be about how it looks rather than just enjoying the process of doing up a new house and garden and showing the good and bad sides. Plus, if I hear her say the word 'lovely' one more time I think I will 🤮
Totally agree with you.

Especially what you say about enjoying the process. She's in such a lucky and exciting position yet she seems like she's really bothered about it being finished right away. She did address it and I know she has anxiety so I'm not trying to be nasty about that at all, but come on if your biggest worry atm is that your half a million £ house you just bought (with a beautiful garden you can afford to hire a landscaper for) isn't completely decorated and furnished yet then I would not admit that on insta mid pandemic haha.

Reactions: 9
Life cycle of the privileged:

0-18: This is a nice life, I hope I can have a similar one when I grow up, I can't see any reason why not. I just need to work hard like my parents tell me.

18-30ish: Starts uni, meets people of all backgrounds and releases how tough other people have it and nothing is guaranteed. Starts to live in squalor at uni, then gets a low paying job after graduation, and subconsciously worries they won't reach the lifestyle they grew up with. Convinces themselves they actually don't need that lifestyle, plus it's unfair anyway! Money doesn't even make you happy! Minimalism! Tiny houses! Sustainability! Private schools are the devil! Campaigning for anything and everything!

30ish onwards: Privilege most likely catches up with them, through connections, inheritance, education, partners, such that they are much more financially stable that the average person their age. Things like Madeleine being able to live rent free with relatives, potential gifts of money to help with house purchase. Realised they CAN live that life with a huge detached house in the countryside, in a fancy school district, maybe even private school. Oh, did I say I was a minimalist? Never mind...

* disclaimer: I made this for a bit of fun and of course it's not true 100%, and not trying to shame those who are or aren't privileged. I'm not even saying for certain that Madeleine did have this experience or outlook, just that if she did, she isn't the first person and sure as hell won't be the last. Hope that makes sense!
I thought this was pretty bang on. When you start warbling on about your 30 quid William Morris print Aga lid covers it's a pretty sure sign where you are in life :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I don't know if I want to follow her anymore. Her USP was minimalism, sustainability and veganism. Without that she's another smug, insufferable rich white girl 🙄 place your bets, how long before that aga is used for a nice roast lamb LOL

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
I don't know if I want to follow her anymore. Her USP was minimalism, sustainability and veganism. Without that she's another smug, insufferable rich white girl 🙄 place your bets, how long before that aga is used for a nice roast lamb LOL
I don’t blame you, I’m starting to feel very let down by her now. I will stick with her for a bit but if this tit carries on then I’m off. She needs to chill, I moved into my house in November and I’ve only just finished painting and decorating and I’m about to start on the garden - all by myself. Not everything has to happen straight away, just enjoy your big duck off house for a bit Madeleine.

Reactions: 18
It all starts going downhill when the start to get sponsorships from big brands, happens with every single "influencer". They start to see the money rolling in for basically duck all work and it's all too easy.

If I hear one more influencer say "So I've been using [insert product name] for a few months now, and I absolutely LOVE it", like we're all supposed to believe they didn't just get sent it last week..

It all starts going downhill when the start to get sponsorships from big brands, happens with every single "influencer". They start to see the money rolling in for basically duck all work and it's all too easy.

If I hear one more influencer say "So I've been using [insert product name] for a few months now, and I absolutely LOVE it", like we're all supposed to believe they didn't just get sent it last week..
I might have more respect if they were honest and said 'I got sent this product last week. I'll be honest, it seems OK so far. They're giving me two grand for this post and work has been slow recently so I'll take what I can get'

In the most recent video Maddie mentions how privileged she is, thanks her viewers and says she's lucky to have all this so soon. I wonder if she's read this thread.....

Reactions: 11
I might have more respect if they were honest and said 'I got sent this product last week. I'll be honest, it seems OK so far. They're giving me two grand for this post and work has been slow recently so I'll take what I can get'

In the most recent video Maddie mentions how privileged she is, thanks her viewers and says she's lucky to have all this so soon. I wonder if she's read this thread.....
Yeah I'm intrigued how many influencers know about their threads. Even if they don't come here they might be signed up to alerts about their name? At work we get a daily email of all the articles/social media posts that mention the company so we can monitor - maybe something similar?

I do like her even though I've gone off her content a bit lately. I haven't watched any of her recent videos.

Reactions: 5
I'm sure Maddie did something with dove too! When zanna van dijk did the podcast with them, she was on it I think - I think it was tagged as an ad too, I forget now.

I unfollowed a while ago because I found her boring and moany.

Reactions: 1
That’s interesting. Blue was much more hard core minimalist/environmentalist/sustainable last time I watched her so it’s hard to imagine she has much in common with Maddie now. I am astonished about the landscapers. Would’ve been great and inspiring content to show them doing it themselves, researching it, month by month. Something other young couples could relate to.
A while ago Blue was going to restaurants with other vegan activists and holding up pictures and signs to shame the meat eating diners! Maybe Maddie and Immy thought that was too extreme for them.

I assume Blue must have really needed the money, seems so against her core philosophy. Money talks with some of these YouTubers, even the sustainability ones.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I have met Blue a handful of times as we run in similar friendship circles. She seems really sweet and genuine and surprised about the ad. When was it? Was it the body positivity one?

Reactions: 1
Completely agree with all the critiques of Madeleine and so glad there’s finally a thread about her. I have seen her name mentioned in other threads as an influencer who is actually down to earth/works hard/modest etc and I couldn’t disagree more.

For so long she has repeated the cycle of going offline for her mental health and then only posting videos when she has a lucrative sponsorship. She has been a shill for a long time and it is a lot more obvious now she has watered down her values on minimalism and sustainability.

Madeleine clearly has high functioning anxiety and almost seems manic in the recent house videos, wanting to make changes immediately and reminding herself out loud to be patient. But it seems really cyclical in that she’ll crash soon once the novelty of her house wears off and she will crash again.

I try to watch her videos but i cant cope with how sniffly she sounds,its like she always has a cold,makes me cringe

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.