Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Their old bed was beautiful and they made sure it was locally sourced repurposed wood as well. Didn't they have a spare bedroom with a nice double bed as well, or am I getting confused? Maybe they left the old bed/ beds behind but it seems really odd.

I think 'every little counts' with sustainability etc but when your whole brand is based on being sustainable and low waste and you start doing things you've dismissed before then people are going to ask questions.

Reactions: 10
Their old bed was beautiful and they made sure it was locally sourced repurposed wood as well. Didn't they have a spare bedroom with a nice double bed as well, or am I getting confused? Maybe they left the old bed/ beds behind but it seems really odd.

I think 'every little counts' with sustainability etc but when your whole brand is based on being sustainable and low waste and you start doing things you've dismissed before then people are going to ask questions.
Yes! I loved both beds. Why have they got two more beds. I don't think she should brand herself as sustainable/minimalistic anymore.

Reactions: 9
Things you'll never hear an influencer say:

'We're moving house because we feel that we've outgrown our current place. Because of everyone watching these videos and buying my books we can afford to buy somewhere much bigger. So thank you for all your support.'

Instead we get:

'We've been keeping a secret! Surprise sneak peaks! Buying our second property before the age of 30 with no stamp duty while people are literally dying in a pandemic is SO stressful. We only wanted to move somewhere with two living rooms but we've settled for just the one'

I've unsubscribed🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 33

'We're moving house because we feel that we've outgrown our current place. Because of everyone watching these videos and buying my books we can afford to buy somewhere much bigger. So thank you for all your support.'

Instead we get:

'We've been keeping a secret! Surprise sneak peaks! Buying our second property before the age of 30 with no stamp duty while people are literally dying in a pandemic is SO stressful. We only wanted to move somewhere with two living rooms but we've settled for just the one'

I've unsubscribed🙁
Spot on. I'm quite sad about it actually as she was one of the few influencers I still liked, supported and was happy for, and I enjoyed watching her videos.

• Sad
Reactions: 15

Instead we get:

I've unsubscribed🙁
I agree really quite grotesque. I unsubscribed from her maybe over a year ago now when she went on a Instagram story rant about how her followers shouldn’t ask her questions about where to find certain recipes etc as they should just search instead of bothering her🙄 really rubbed me the wrong way. Hey Madeleine Olivia if subscribers can’t find your recipes maybe that’s your problem and you should work on making them easier to search🤷‍♀️

I saw she was moving house so gave the videos a watch out of curiosity and her attitude is really gross. She says that they’ve moving because of stamp duty, but then moans on about how stressful it is moving in a pandemic like YEAH how can you not connect those dots ??? People know that so gov removed the stamp duty as a way of making the stress of pandemic moving worth while. Also barely a thank you for people watching, in fact Alex’s attitude around it was pretty disgusting as well with his ‘mind your own business’. I know they said this was a ‘joke’ but jokes are only funny when everyone is laughing, they only have their lifestyle because of people caring enough to watch. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you and all that.

And as much as she laughs along and claims to find his humour hilarious, when she was excited about printing their contracts and he was being his usual sarcastic self you could see the happiness drain from her eyes. I was with someone like that once when every single thing is met with a sarcastic comment and it’s draining, I ended up breaking up with him mainly for that reason as he couldn’t just be ernest

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I can't believe she got a new bed. What happened to the bed they filmed themselves dismantling made out of reclaimed wood.

Did they literally just bin it!? I think that defeats the point of sustainability

Reactions: 4
Weirdly, I find myself agreeing with a lot thats being said but I’ll only give her the benefit of the doubt for so long. The videos I point blank refuse to watch are the ‘10 ways this’ or ‘20 ways to that’ as I just feel like I’m being preached to and I already did the majority of the things she says anyway. More grocery hauls please!

Stop opening my eyes to her faults, she’s pretty much the only influencer I still like 😂 they’re all the same really aren’t they 😭

Reactions: 9
Spot on. I'm quite sad about it actually as she was one of the few influencers I still liked, supported and was happy for, and I enjoyed watching her videos.
Me too. I can’t make up my mind if she’s changed or if she was like this all along and just hiding it well?
I really like Immy (Sustainably Vegan) still.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Me too. I can’t make up my mind if she’s changed or if she was like this all along and just hiding it well?
I really like Immy (Sustainably Vegan) still.
Me too, Immy seems very genuine and practices what she preaches (but also doesn't preach at you!).

Reactions: 7
Am I allowed to ask if the house is west or north?! Or is that too snoopy? Apologises either way 🙈

I must admit I couldn’t believe the past few stories and videos either. Shes living in a very privileged bubble.

Reactions: 8
I didn't realize she went to St Andrews university. I think she is just from an extremely privileged background and her privilege is just seeping out now. She can no longer contain it.

I didn't realize she went to St Andrews university. I think she is just from an extremely privileged background and her privilege is just seeping out now. She can no longer contain it.
It’s even like when she makes a point of saying “the Volvo” instead of just the car, it’s a car just like any other 🙈😂. I think this house has definitely gone to her head and like you say her true, privileged self can break free.

It’s annoying as I thought she was one of the more down to earth influencers. She’s entitled to move of course but I liked the modest house they had before, the smaller kitchen where they struggled for space as many can relate to that but now it’s just like she’s obsessed with pushing her privilege and money in people’s faces. You can be happy and excited about something without being a show off.

Reactions: 14
This is kind of what I have been thinking. I think she wants a nice middle class lifestyle like her parents. Big house and all the trappings(the aga, the volvo, the spaniel). That's fine, absolutely, go for it but you built your following on something quite different so I don't think you can be surprised when they aren't so keen anymore. I think she should come out and say look sustainability/minimalism was something I used as a means to an end, to enable me to get what I wanted and I've done that so I will be stamping that out and focusing on plant-based recipes.

You can't say you are about minimal living like she does in her bio when all you seem to mean is some white walls and a few second hand buys. I feel bad saying it because she seems harmless enough but that desperation to be seen as solidly middle class that she is displaying lately isn't for me.

Reactions: 17
What's sadder is that Maddie always seemed to promote the idea that minimalism and sustainability don't have to be a middle-class affair - anyone can do these things. But the more and more it unfolded, the more elitist sustainability and minimalism have become, yet again, as exemplified by her.

I'm wondering if the house purchase is a tax write-off. Especially if she makes her income based on home renovations now.

Reactions: 13
She’s so far removed from where she was when she started YouTube, all about minimalism and sustainability.

She’s just shared three new IKEA wardrobes full of clothes.

A little rant.....I started watching Maddie before she moved to Brighton. She seemed genuine and relatable... and I really enjoyed her content. I do remember her saying that she always wanted to be 'Youtuber' and I feel now really she just jumped onto the Sustainability/Minimalism movement and it's about making money rather than she started her channel out of passion like Immy aka Sustainably Vegan did. I always admire the ones that started their channel through passion while doing another job.
Maddie did live in one of her families holiday rentals too while she was building her YouTube channel so seems to have had privilege from the start. Although I think Maddie does care about Veganism / Sustainability etc to a degree, it's business to her and quite clearly she wants to make big money from it to fund her privileged lifestyle and now mini mansion. She works with questionable brands too. I mean it's fine if you want to move to a bigger house / buy more things etc but when you have built your following/audience up through Sustainability and Minimalism, it all seems a bit disingenuous. I don't think she is 100% transparent. I don't know what her channel is anymore!
Her new house does look absolutely beautiful and she seems to be pushing the Cornish Cottage Instagram profile more now, so no doubt the gifted items will start rolling in soon! She's running a business at the end of the day that's the sad reality of it.

Reactions: 19
Am I allowed to ask if the house is west or north?! Or is that too snoopy? Apologises either way 🙈

I must admit I couldn’t believe the past few stories and videos either. Shes living in a very privileged bubble.
West, a lot further west from their last house. And honestly for the location the house was an extortionate price. Considering it needs new windows. Think there going to make money from the separate little house in the side as an air bnb.
But I’m telling you that the location is FARR from what or where anyone will want to rent. But it will be some income.
she has changed so much, IKEA wardrobes Full of clothes.Which is fine, but she preaches so much. She’s completely different now.

Reactions: 4
Maddie posted on Instagram stories in quite a passive aggressive way saying the sustainability police were in her DMs and said that if it wasn’t already obvious the wardrobes were there when they moved in and they didn’t buy them.

There’s a way to address things without being like that. When your income and the house you are now living in was only achievable because of people watching your videos, buying your books etc, coming across passive aggressive, blunt and rude on social media isn’t a great look tbh.

Reactions: 17
“Not that that would be a bad thing either.”

Well according to YOURSELF it would be miss sustainability queen.
How was it obvious? How are we to know those wardrobes were left behind when you've been buying new furniture? *coughnewbedscough* "coughchandeliercough*

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.