Lucy Letby Case #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Instant ban for anyone sniping or arguing on this thread. No time for this constant mess. Agree to disagree and scroll on.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
@LittleMy following on from your post, are jurors allowed a certain amount of sick days before they get replaced?
I think it depends on how long they’re sick for as to whether they’ll be removed from the jury. So long as the number of jurors doesn’t fall below 9 then a verdict can be reached.

Reactions: 7
I think it depends on how long they’re sick for as to whether they’ll be removed from the jury. So long as the number of jurors doesn’t fall below 9 then a verdict can be reached.
I bet some of them will pull a cheeky sicky.

Reactions: 3
I bet some of them will pull a cheeky sicky.
Definitely! Especially with the football, and it being winter/Christmas nights out happening. Also Covid and winter bugs. There’s bound to be lots more delays to come. :/

Reactions: 6
Definitely! Especially with the football, and it being winter/Christmas nights out happening. Also Covid and winter bugs. There’s bound to be lots more delays to come. :/
I was going to say it isn’t the best timing but with it being 6 months I don’t think there really is a good time

Reactions: 8
Yeah, and sadly for the families it must feel like it’s never going to end. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 10
its things like nativity plays too which always wanted me to push to be as much of my own boss/advocate of my own time as poss. Which also I do feel BM etc has the right to attend (or similar) - we’re all people behind our jobs. Losing best part of a week at a time can’t be good for the prosecution though I imagine.

There was a tweet earlier that said one juror has tested positive for COVID. So I don’t think even Friday is guaranteed if that’s true!

Reactions: 5
There's two reserve jurors, I think? So they will be there for the whole trial and can replace a juror who falls ill or has to leave for some other reason, meaning that in theory they could lose up to five jurors and still bring in a verdict, which you would think should be enough, fingers crossed.
I mentioned the challenges of doing this now with Covid still rampant in a post the other day, so I now feel like I jinxed it!

Reactions: 6
I don't think jurors are replaced with another so late in a trial, it just continues with a reduced number (but can't go below a minimum number as pp said).

Reactions: 3
What about holidays? Are you exempt from jury duty if you had something already in place?

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I don't think jurors are replaced with another so late in a trial, it just continues with a reduced number (but can't go below a minimum number as pp said).
That's right - they can only be replaced with one of the reserves, who has been with then the entire time and heard all the evidence. In effect, they start off with 14 members of the jury, but only 12 are involved in deciding the verdict. If one of those 12 drops out, a reserve gets bumped up, as it were.

Reactions: 4
I’m sure I read that they lost 2 jurors in the first week, so now it’s just the 12, no reserves

Maybe seen as there’s no court for a few days we should all say why we think she’s either G or NG ? Let’s remind ourselves of what we have heard so far and for baby G. I know there’s the wiki but be nice to go back to hearing why people so far think what they do?

Reactions: 2
There was a trial in the USA some years ago where they were several weeks in and one juror suddenly made the court staff aware that he didn't speak English, so he was dismissed.
After another couple of weeks, another juror revealed that he was profoundly deaf - he was apparently astonished when it was explained to him that he was hearing a murder case. He was dismissed.

Two weeks later, a third juror revealed that not only did he speak no English, but he was almost as deaf as the second juror.

The judge declared a mistrial. :oops:

I’m sure I read that they lost 2 jurors in the first week, so now it’s just the 12, no reserves
Oh really? Wow, I hadn't heard about that! That seems terribly bad luck to lose two so soon

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.