Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was dragged kicking & screaming to watch Life on Mars by my partner & I ended up loving it 😂 Gene is just one of my favourite characters ever. I wasn’t quite as keen on Ashes to Ashes, although I did still enjoy it. I remember feeling a little let down by the ending but I’m not sure if it’s just because it wasn’t what I was expecting 🤔
the ending was .. ok. A bit weird. I loved ashes but the fact they had to give it an end made it less effective than life on mars. The ending of life on Mars is beautiful and nothing too concrete that you can interpret it in your own way. The fact they had to give some resolution and explanation meant the ending of Ashes wasn’t as spectacular.

Reactions: 1
I've never seen the full series of either but since lockdown ive watched quite a few dramas with Phillip Gleinster and there is just something about him which i find quite endearing so i might start watching for him

I remember being utterly shocked by the clown revelation & being so pleased that there was no spoiler for it.
Ending was sad though and disappointing. I didn’t want that to be the case ☹

Ashes to Ashes is my all time favourite show, I absolutely love it mainly because I’m madly in love with Keeley Hawes 😍 and this show sparked my obsession with her haha! I’ve just started watching Life on Mars for the first time, I never watched it originally because I was only 11 so couldn’t be bothered lol but it’s just as brilliant! If anything, Gene is even more hilarious in Life On Mars

Ashes to Ashes is my all time favourite show, I absolutely love it mainly because I’m madly in love with Keeley Hawes 😍 and this show sparked my obsession with her haha! I’ve just started watching Life on Mars for the first time, I never watched it originally because I was only 11 so couldn’t be bothered lol but it’s just as brilliant! If anything, Gene is even more hilarious in Life On Mars
ughh I love her so much she is stunning and an amazing actress 🥰

She really is! I've nearly watched everything she's ever been in now 😂 though Alex has to be one of my fave characters! she just seems so lovely as well 🥰
Aw I’ve seen a lot of stuff she’s been in but not everything. I think her most impressive performance was in line of duty it was unlike anything she’s ever done. Up until that point she was a little typecast but that role was so right for her! I loved her back in the spooks days too!

Reactions: 2
Getting to the end of ashes to ashes now and seeing all the little hidden references to how it all turns out is so clever. I honestly think it's one of the best written tv programmes ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Aw I’ve seen a lot of stuff she’s been in but not everything. I think her most impressive performance was in line of duty it was unlike anything she’s ever done. Up until that point she was a little typecast but that role was so right for her! I loved her back in the spooks days too!
Omg Lindsay Denton is an icon! Yeah she has played a lot of cop type characters but she's definitely had more varied roles in the last 5 years or so. I think Line of duty definitely proves how versatile she is!

Just watching the last episode. Can’t believe it features Jimmy Saville 😂

Kinda feels weird but Gene Hunt 😋

• Haha
Oh my god I thought I was the only one who had the hots for Philip Glenister! 😍 We have just watched Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes back to back on Netflix. I watched them first time round but had totally forgotten the ending!
I'm having Gene Hunt withdrawals now.....

Loooove these two programmes. Even more of a bonus that they’re named after two Bowie songs 🙌🏻

I also have a really bleeping weird crush on Gene Hunt. Pleeeease tell me I’m not the only one? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Loooove these two programmes. Even more of a bonus that they’re named after two Bowie songs 🙌🏻

I also have a really bleeping weird crush on Gene Hunt. Pleeeease tell me I’m not the only one? 😂
Definitely not the only one 😍

Nah mate you’re most certainly not alone 😭 they definitely made him into more of a romantic character in Ashes which made him more appealing I think.

Ive had bad dreams about him 🥵

I think Ashes to Ashes wasn't as good because Alex already knew everything about Sam. There was no real confusion for her like there was for Sam who had absolutely nee idea what was going on. She was also a bit of a superior pain in the arse. I've rewatched Life on Mars just recently, but only got as far as episode 2 of Ashes to Ashes as I just didn't care what happened to Alex.

I love these shows. Seriously so well written. I remember going onto the Digital Spy forum to discuss theories and tuning in every week to watch it. The ending was so clever too!
Started rewatching it with my mum but we changed over to ER. Might need to go back to it!
I feel this show is so underrated. It’s really clever and Gene is a great character!
I did read that it is having another series, not sure how they can do that?

Have you seen Keeley in Spooks? That’s another great show.