Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
He's not my kind of comedian, but apparently he did a longer explanation before and after the joke so a clip going viral on social does take it out of context.

I found the guardians headline interesting as they were saying the new UK hate bill would make Netflix liable and have to pay a huge (possibly bankrupting) fine.

I wish comedians would go in on influencers!

Reactions: 5

Deepsigh2018

VIP Member
I met him in starbucks back when I was at uni he was really nice and posed for a picture with me. It was over 10years ago when this happened though

Reactions: 4

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
They canā€™t criticise Jimmy Carr and risk being booted off the panel shows he hosts. They were all posting little stories about his Netflix special when if anyone else made the same jokes about fat women or gypsies theyā€™d all be virtue signalling and clutching their pearls. It just seems so disingenuous to me.
I agree, it is quite unpleasant to witness.

Mayday

VIP Member
I like him on Big Fat Quiz and 8 out of 10 cats, but agree that the avoiding tax avoidance really put me off. I'm just glad some of the other comedians on 8 out of 10 cats still make jokes about it and don't let him forget it. :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
He's not my kind of comedian, but apparently he did a longer explanation before and after the joke so a clip going viral on social does take it out of context.

I found the guardians headline interesting as they were saying the new UK hate bill would make Netflix liable and have to pay a huge (possibly bankrupting) fine.

I wish comedians would go in on influencers!
interesting the show has been on Netflix a month and not a peep about it until now. What a coincidence.

my opinion.
I think Carr is an unfunny tosser, on everything he does, shows and stand up, but itā€™s comedy!!

Itā€™s like hating on a butcher for cutting up meat, ok he made a very controversial, very questionable joke, we all have a choice not to find it funny but we canā€™t sanitise comedy so we donā€™t offend.
Where does that end exactly, I donā€™t need a multinational company or government making that choice for me, the joke was designed to shock, it worked, it also got some laughs, so some did find it funny šŸ˜ it did itā€™s job in that respect, weird but whatever, but I wonā€™t accept anyone telling me what I should be listening to or reading/where I can travel/what I can put into my body etc hate speech fine! Cancel the shit out of him ( mfor 5 minutes like always on social media)
But this was clearly a joke in a comedy setting so decide, we donā€™t support the artist/venue/Netflix. But calling for society to be protected by something they might find hurtful, where does it end.
Better stop the publication of some books, better stop some people shopping in Asda, itā€™s for their own good.

cotton wool society.

Whoā€™s Paddy Maguires?
clearly meant McGuinness.

Tryger88

VIP Member
What Jimmy Carr said AFTER the joke did put it in context a bit. We are all outraged at 6 million Jews being killed, but where's the outrage at all the travellers being killed?

He was pointing out that so many people still have prejudice against travellers and gypsies, that they don't actually care about them suffering under the Nazis. He was pointing out the hypocrisy. That's how I took it anyway.

It's ironic that there is more uproar about the joke, than about the historical and current xenophobia towards travellers, and the genocide they were subject to. Which kind of proves his point.
Well said, if anything I thought he gave a good history lesson! I didn't even know they was targeted in the holocaust and now I know they have my sympathy, obviously it started as a joke but in a way that ended with being informed and educated.

Reactions: 3

Tryger88

VIP Member
He doesnā€™t offend me at all. Heā€™s just boring. Heā€™s like that kid at school who would play up and it was all very dangerous and exciting at first and then got very, very old.

I like Ricky Gervais. Heā€™s in a different league to Jimmy Carr. JCā€™s entire act is based on offending people which would be fine IF he was original. Itā€™s so old. I could imagine someone like Jim Davidson telling the same jokes as JC - theyā€™re just boring and unimaginative.

I donā€™t get why youā€™re outraged by peopleā€™s outrage when JCā€™s entire Netflix special hinged on, ā€œThis is the joke which will get me cancelled!ā€ By this logic itā€™s been a complete success and he should be very pleased with himself.
But Ricky Gervais isn't even funny, he's just a political whore like Russell Brand.

• Haha
  • Angry

Amelia99

VIP Member
interesting the show has been on Netflix a month and not a peep about it until now. What a coincidence.

my opinion.
I think Carr is an unfunny tosser, on everything he does, shows and stand up, but itā€™s comedy!!

Itā€™s like hating on a butcher for cutting up meat, ok he made a very controversial, very questionable joke, we all have a choice not to find it funny but we canā€™t sanitise comedy so we donā€™t offend.
Where does that end exactly, I donā€™t need a multinational company or government making that choice for me, the joke was designed to shock, it worked, it also got some laughs, so some did find it funny šŸ˜ it did itā€™s job in that respect, weird but whatever, but I wonā€™t accept anyone telling me what I should be listening to or reading/where I can travel/what I can put into my body etc hate speech fine! Cancel the shit out of him ( mfor 5 minutes like always on social media)
But this was clearly a joke in a comedy setting so decide, we donā€™t support the artist/venue/Netflix. But calling for society to be protected by something they might find hurtful, where does it end.
Better stop the publication of some books, better stop some people shopping in Asda, itā€™s for their own good.

cotton wool society.

clearly meant McGuinness.
I agree. I donā€™t think banning stuff works. It just makes people more likely to want to see or hear whatever it is that has been banned. I think Jimmy Carrā€™s humour is crass and nasty but banning his Netflix show is not going to make those who like him think ā€œOh I was obviosly wrong to laugh at his jokes.ā€ Far more likely that they will like him even more and he will increase his audience. Which is no doubt exactly what he wants. His schtick brings to mind my motherā€™s advice when someone was being OTT and provocative - ā€œignore them, theyā€™re only looking for attention.ā€

Mollywobbles

VIP Member
Nasty man! Used the loophole lawyer to get off a driving offence.
Also threatened the DPP is driving points people or whoever with legal action if it was leaked to the press that he was caught speeding

Danni_louu

VIP Member
I canā€™t stand him! Itā€™s juat one liners he does. Couldnā€™t stand him on the inbetweeners reunion

Henrii

Maybe itā€™s only gaining traction now because no one cared enough to watch it at Christmas.

I watched it and it was naff. It was all, ā€œIā€™ll offend you, Iā€™ll say something shocking and I hope I get cancelled!!ā€

Every joke seemed to hinge on ā€œYou canā€™t say this out loud anymoreā€ which is weird, because there wasnā€™t a single thing he said which I hadnā€™t heard before šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

He wanted to be cancelled and itā€™s happening. Perhaps thereā€™s PR at work (heā€™s currently on tour) or maybe there was no one more interesting to cancel this week. It wonā€™t touch him, cancel culture only works on people who care. Which is why itā€™s pointless.

Reactions: 2

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
He did a show in our local arts centre a few years ago. He clearly loved himself and was the biggest pain in the butt they had ever had there (apart from Lenny Henry) He claimed that a table had fallen on his shoes and that they were now scuffed and that he was going to sue the Arts Centre, dream on twat,,...they never want to see him or his poxy shoes again.
Really? šŸ˜³ what a tit!

Reactions: 2

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
slighy off topic but Iā€™m struck by how happy a lot of trendy tv successful Twitter comedians were to dogpile on that not particularly famous comic who simply cracked ā€˜no one likes doing zoom showsā€™ a few months back but arenā€™t commenting on this at all.

Reactions: 1

abelleza

Chatty Member
I wish he would go in on other celebrities more, I think that would be funnier if he wants to go after the shock laughs.

I've met him 3 times (worked backstage at a comedy venue) and he was alright as comedians go.
Rhodes Gilbert by far my favourite šŸ„°he was just gorgeous and brings his dog with him everytime and is everyone's best mate.
Paddy Maguires was an utter scum bag, and cheated on his wife with an absolute skank in his dressing room šŸ‘€
Whoā€™s Paddy Maguires?

Reactions: 1