James Bulger - sentencing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Urgh. A noble intention. It really didn’t prompt any discussion about youth crime. The bulgers can’t get closure, they have needed life long protection and what really worries me is the potential for mob lynching- normal people so whipped up by it all they believe they are justified murdering Thompson and venables, given the chance.

Reactions: 4
I don’t agree with afterwards as I do believe in prison being about rehabilitation if they get a sentence that actually reflects the crime, but I have always thought that prisoners should have to do work as part of the rehabilitation process, “earn their keep” as such, or even learn a trade whilst in prison.

Reactions: 1
They do work in prison don’t they? And get education and other rehabilitation support (well with covid I think they’re locked in their cells 23 hours a day but before that)

Reactions: 3
Yes prisoners do work or attend education. Anyway, I heard about venables working in Pizza Hut and saw the picture of him... pretty sure it’s him. Anyone else seen the pics? (Obv I would never post them) I do believe they should’ve been given IPP sentences as I know of people still in prison with no release date for much less crimes. I don’t think it was a mistake naming them but that’s just me. I do wonder what Thomson is doing now.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
From what i understand of the case it does raise some interesting questions about nature v nurture. From memory at the time Thompson was considered the most dangerous. He was from a deeply dysfunctional family where violence and abuse were daily occurrences. Venables on the other hand came from quite a normal family and the worst I heard written about him was his mother was a little overprotective. Yet when some discipline was injected into their lives Thompson turned it around, or hasvdone to our knowledge, whilst Venables continues to be an evil tit.

Reactions: 11
What should they have done after they left prison etc? how about string them up by their balls and leave them there.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
From what i understand of the case it does raise some interesting questions about nature v nurture. From memory at the time Thompson was considered the most dangerous. He was from a deeply dysfunctional family where violence and abuse were daily occurrences. Venables on the other hand came from quite a normal family and the worst I heard written about him was his mother was a little overprotective. Yet when some discipline was injected into their lives Thompson turned it around, or hasvdone to our knowledge, whilst Venables continues to be an evil tit.
Yes, it's true, Thompson turned his life around got an education, qualifications that he would never have got otherwise. He needed that structure in his life Those saying it was not long enough it's not about vengeance it's about rehabilitation. The system worked on Thompson but not Venables. I said the before and someone said I was wrong but im pretty sure 95% that Thomspon in the home he went into was not allowed to hide who he was everyone there knew who he was and what he had done. so he had to face up to it and talk about it in front of his peers and all that entails.
Venables in the home he went into, they didn't disclose who he was or what he had done so any therapy was done behind closed doors, so he had to be secretive all those years. Could this be the key?

Reactions: 6
Yes, it's true, Thompson turned his life around got an education, qualifications that he would never have got otherwise. He needed that structure in his life Those saying it was not long enough it's not about vengeance it's about rehabilitation. The system worked on Thompson but not Venables. I said the before and someone said I was wrong but im pretty sure 95% that Thomspon in the home he went into was not allowed to hide who he was everyone there knew who he was and what he had done. so he had to face up to it and talk about it in front of his peers and all that entails.
Venables in the home he went into, they didn't disclose who he was or what he had done so any therapy was done behind closed doors, so he had to be secretive all those years. Could this be the key?
Yes I would definitely say so.

End of the day they were children, if they’d have been a year younger they wouldn’t have been trialed.They did something absolutely despicable but why didn’t they know better? What the hell had happened in their life for this to happen? My nephew is 9, he comes from a loving, caring home and wouldn’t be capable of doing anything like this to anyone, never mind a toddler.

Reactions: 8
I also remember hearing that a female member of staff had sex with him which supposedly set his rehabilitian right back. Something I remember hearing, can't vouch the truth of it, though.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I also remember hearing that a female member of staff had sex with him which supposedly set his rehabilitian right back. Something I remember hearing, can't vouch the truth of it, though.
Yes, that's true. I believe she was suspended, but no idea if she was ever charged.

• Wow
  • Angry
I agree with this, I’ve always wondered what happened to their parents, did they have to leave Merseyside & change their names or did they continue to live in the city?
I truly believe they should have been punished, from what I’ve read the way they brought those 2 boys up was neglectful all round.
The parents had to leave Liverpool and haven’t returned since. Robert Thompson’s mum blames Denise. She said something like ‘she should have had reigns on her son and it wouldn’t have happened’ its something David James smith the author of the book the sleep of reason claims she said once

There
Are there any information about the boys background? I’m quite interested in knowing -about their upbringing.
[/QUOTE

there’s a lot of information out there regarding the boy’s background. Thompson’s father was an abusive man who left the family a few years before James’ murder. Thompson’s mum was drinking a lot and pretty much abandoning her 7 children, at least one of the brothers asked to be put into care. Venables parents had split up but both had custody of the children they had.
One woman asked another to watch her child , as she wanted to take James off the boys and to the police station. However the other woman wouldn’t watch her child . I can’t even imagine the feeling of guilt , that you saw these children with what you suspected to be a younger sibling.
or even believed their lie, of they were taking him to the police station as he was lost. They were two 10 year olds and you wouldn’t even suspect that they were out to harm another child . There sentence was a joke ,and it has been reported that Thompson has said if he hadn’t done what he did . He wouldn’t have had the life and opportunities he now has .
Side note - where does the name Jamie come from ? I’ve seen People called him Jamie, when as far as I was aware that wasn’t even a nickname his parents used ?
Why did she need the other woman to watch her child though? Why didn’t she take her daughter with her so she could James to the police station down the road?

I always think this when they give new identities...what if you met a man started dating him and it was Jon Venables you would never know and that in my eyes is unfair on the public.
If they got into a relationship that turned serious they would then be required to reveal their identities to their partner.

Last edited:
Yes prisoners do work or attend education. Anyway, I heard about venables working in Pizza Hut and saw the picture of him... pretty sure it’s him. Anyone else seen the pics? (Obv I would never post them) I do believe they should’ve been given IPP sentences as I know of people still in prison with no release date for much less crimes. I don’t think it was a mistake naming them but that’s just me. I do wonder what Thomson is doing now.
Yes, I have, many years ago. He is a fat ugly lardarse with the same evil eyes that bore right through you. Inbred looking. Literally made my flesh crawl!!!

I heard Thompson is in a gay relationship and moved to Australia.

It was always thought Venables was the dumb one just following Thompson's lead, but before his latest jailing he had the cunning to go on the dark web and download manuals and all that other stuff, so he really isn't dumb at all and clearly has compulsions he must act on. He even posed as a single mother ("Dawnie" :sick: ) to trick other men with the same compulsions to send him stuff. Some of his girlfriends had children. One gf was 17. He told officers his ideal was 15-17yo schoolgirls :sick: He needs to be locked up for life to prevent the crimes he is compelled to commit. That is a fact.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
No I don't think that's right, both were given new identities just on their release I thought. The thing is if they kept them locked up for 20-30 years then they wouldn't have been able to rehabilitate them when they got out, because that's all they ever knew from childhood, institutional care.
Also it was Robert Thompson that was the ringleader not Venables who has struggled to handle much more what he did. Thompson has always just not wanted to know/minimized it. Also the people who worked with him said he was totally manipulative.
It is correct. Robert was made to use his own name in his secure unit so that he always had to face up to his crime. Robert was most certainly not the right leader - it was Jon’s idea to take a child, it was Jon who led James away from The Strand, it was Jon who held his hand most of the way to Walton, it was Jon did the majority of talking to anyone who approached them and it was Jon who admitted that “he” killed James.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
The parents had to leave Liverpool and haven’t returned since. Robert Thompson’s mum blames Denise. She said something like ‘she should have had reigns on her son and it wouldn’t have happened’ its something David James smith the author of the book the sleep of reason claims she said once
Actually the Venables family don’t live far from
Liverpool and return back to the city often, as do some of the Thompson brothers.

Why did she need the other woman to watch her child though? Why didn’t she take her daughter with her so she could James to the police station down the road?
The police station in question is around a 15 mon

If they got into a relationship that turned serious they would then be required to reveal their identities to their partner.

Only if they live with them.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that a on a life license (which I think they would both be on??), they have to report all of their relationships. Not sure if they do have to disclose to the person they're in a relationship with though.

I don't know why but I was always under the impression that it was Robert who was the ringleader and Venables was from a 'nice family' but easily led astray. I'm pretty sure Robert was described as being rotten to the core and it was insinuated that he would definitely offend again. It's why I was surprised that Venables was the one back in trouble again. I've also heard that Robert is in a same sex relationship.
Robert is gay, yes. And Venables most definitely didn’t come from a nice family! There were many problems including alcohol and violence.

Reactions: 5
Yes, I have, many years ago. He is a fat ugly lardarse with the same evil eyes that bore right through you. Inbred looking. Literally made my flesh crawl!!!

I heard Thompson is in a gay relationship and moved to Australia.

It was always thought Venables was the dumb one just following Thompson's lead, but before his latest jailing he had the cunning to go on the dark web and download manuals and all that other stuff, so he really isn't dumb at all and clearly has compulsions he must act on. He even posed as a single mother ("Dawnie" :sick: ) to trick other men with the same compulsions to send him stuff. Some of his girlfriends had children. One gf was 17. He told officers his ideal was 15-17yo schoolgirls :sick: He needs to be locked up for life to prevent the crimes he is compelled to commit. That is a fact.
Robert isn’t in Australia. Never has been and never will be. He has to serve his life licence in the UK.

This!! 110%👏🏼 They did not for one second think he was a toy or the like. Venables himself in his secure children’s unit was heard saying to one of his appointed case workers, during a jest conversation about fighting, “bring me your baby and I’ll show you fighting” or something along those lines. I appreciate he may have cried each day of his trail and seemed to show remorse in later years etc, and yes, according to the law, he was simply a child himself, but this is the same child/man that tried to deceive detectives during interviews, reoffended and then reoffended again... for indecent and explicit images of children etc. Thompson may have behaved since he was let out, but in my opinion, that doesn’t justify their short sentence or protection from the public. Where was Jamie’s protection? Where is his justice?
He said to one of the staff members at Red Bank “bring me your baby and I will batter it.” This was in response to her saying he couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding in jest.

I did research on this case back in school, can't really remember what it was for but I do remember reading how they had stolen model paint, batteries etc that day and used the batteries to put them somwhere in james body (can't even bring myself to say what they did with the batteries) and had put paint in his eyes, they dropped a 10kg iron bar on him, threw stones and bricks at him. I actually write that with tears in my eyes as I have a 4 yr old niece and a 5 yr old nephew and to think if that were them and how scared they would be, the pain they would be in and how they would probably be crying for their mum :(. What gets me is how trusting James was to go off with them, it actually breaks my heart to think what that poor wee boy went through. I am sorry but I just don't care if one of them has changed and hasn't reoffended, What they did was absolutely evil and I hope James' face haunts them both till their dying day.
The battery story is a myth. They were thrown at him and one was placed in his mouth but that was as far as it went and to be honest, that was bad enough.

I heard they watched some banned films a few weeks before they took Jamie? Childs play being one of them .I believe there were things mentioned in court never released to the public.
These are myths. Child’s Play 3 was the last film that Jon’s dad rented before the murder. There is no proof that Jon ever even watched it. Because a ghost train and paint featured in the movie, the press put 2 and 2 together and got 5. There is absolutely no link between the film and the murder.
There was no withheld information about this case. Everything that happened was made public at the trial. When James’s body was found there was info that was kept back to save Denise and Ralph’s feelings. All they were told at the time was that James had been cut in two by the train.

Yes, it extends to anything that could identify them - photographs, addresses, locations, workplaces. And even if the information you share turns out not to be true - so a photograph that's not actually one of them but you say it is - you would still be breaking the law I believe.

I really wish that bleeping awful gobshite Malone had gone to prison.
Tina Malone is a friend of Denise’s. She knew exactly what she was doing.

Is there anywhere to read the backgrounds of their childhoods?
Read The Sleep of Reason by David James Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I’ve read both books by his parents. His mothers is called I let him go.

Re the name Jamie It was the press that started calling him that.

Their first daughter was still born. James was their second child.

His father says in his book:

“Detectives also discovered blood-stained bricks, stones and iron bars at the scene, as well as some AA batteries and a tin of blue modelling paint.”

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Interview with his mother Denise in 2018 where she says her son was sexually abused before his death.

She was pregnant with her other child, so didn't want to know the full details during the trial.

• Sad
Yes, I have, many years ago. He is a fat ugly lardarse with the same evil eyes that bore right through you. Inbred looking. Literally made my flesh crawl
He really did have the most evil pair of eyes I have ever seen on a kid.

• Heart
Interview with his mother Denise in 2018 where she says her son was sexually abused before his death.

She was pregnant with her other child, so didn't want to know the full details during the trial.

There was no evidence of a sexual assault, also Denise knows everything that happened to her son.

If one the parents has said so I will believe them, until I see something that says otherwise.

Every single detail is not revealed to the public, it can not be discounted as a myth though.

Thompson and Venables had never been asked publicly about whether a sexual assault had taken place. But in his submission to the parole board, Thompson shared his answer.

“I am certain that I didn’t interfere with him sexually and I do not think that Jon Venables assaulted James Bulger in that way.”

He also claimed he didn’t take the child.

In his own words:
Detective: I believe i know the truth.
T: So do I, I was there.
Detective: That’s right
T: You weren’t . “
Detective: You’re correct ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2