Jacqueline Wilson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This thread makes me want to re-read her books too! I remember liking Diamond Girls, The Suitcase Kid, Lola Rose, How to Survive Summer Camp, Best Friends and the Girls in Love series. I also used to read Cathy Cassidy (Dizzy, Indigo Blue) and loved the Mates, Dates books by Cathy Hopkins.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I re-read some now as an adult! We should all read them again, like an adult JW fan club 😂😂
yes please!

i read a few over lockdown and they really do have a whole other layer when you read them as an adult. characters i thought were so cool as a child suddenly seemed much sadder - and i was much more forgiving of the awful stepsister in the suitcase kid.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes please! Let's start a JW book club 🥰 :ROFLMAO:

yes please!

i read a few over lockdown and they really do have a whole other layer when you read them as an adult. characters i thought were so cool as a child suddenly seemed much sadder - and i was much more forgiving of the awful stepsister in the suitcase kid.

I’m 100% down for it! we could read the same book at the same time and then discuss or something! I’ve never been in a book club how does it work 🤣 if you guys have any favourites list them and we could decide on a book 😊

my faves are: Lola rose, girls in love, little darlings, clean break, the diamond girls, anything really!

side note: did anyone read “my sister Jodie” and find it traumatic!?! I was horrified at the ending 😰😰

• Heart
I’m 100% down for it! we could read the same book at the same time and then discuss or something! I’ve never been in a book club how does it work 🤣 if you guys have any favourites list them and we could decide on a book 😊
Yess! I'd love this so much.

Some of my favourites are The Illustrated Mum, Girls in love/under pressure/etc, The Dare Game, The Bed & Breakfast Star, Vicky Angel, The Lottie Project and Dustbin Baby.

Anything after 2005 I haven't read as I was getting a bit older but as an adult I'd love to read them. I re-read the above books sooo many times

Reactions: 6
I read them all! My mum was a prude but I guess she never read the summary on the back lol. It was so important for me as a child to read certain books that reflected my own life. Some books I tried to read like Cathy Cassidy ones were way too unrelatable for me, they were all characters with big houses and families. I remember reading Lola Rose and The Diamond Girls and relating to it because it was heavily implied that they were from a poor background just like I was. I remember my favourites were the girls in love series, it was girls in love, girls under pressure, girls out late and girls in tears and they made me so excited to be a teenager hahaha

Reactions: 8
Bad Girls, Lola Rose and The Illustrated Mum were some of my favourites. I resonated with Lola Rose mostly because I grew up in a household where domestic violence occurred. I was also bullied when I was 10 by three older girls so related to the main character in Bad Girls. JW books were an escape for me at the time, knowing that things could get better and they did.

• Heart
Did anyone ever catch any of the films? I’m sure it was double act and the illustrated mum I saw randomly one day on TV as a kid!

Did anyone ever catch any of the films? I’m sure it was double act and the illustrated mum I saw randomly one day on TV as a kid!
Yes! I watched Double Act on TV as a child. As an adult I read The Illustrated Mum (never got to it as a kid) and I watched the movie on Youtube

Reactions: 3
Nobody else seems to remember these but before she found her niche with Tracy Beaker she used to write teen books (I think set in the 80s, at the time they were written) that were REALLY dark, one was about a boy and girl twin but the boy died in childbirth and she was abused by her family because of it and ended up taking an overdose. Then there was another one about a girl who got bullied by her so called friend into thinking she was a witch and she tried to sleep with her adult male teacher and I think they had some sort of affair. And another one where a girl almost got raped and then it turned out the rapists best friend was gay and was in love with him and hated her because of it.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I am so glad I found this thread!

JW books were a huge part of my childhood.
I loved how she dealt with such dark issues in and I felt so grown up reading the books.

JW was so ahead of her time - what other childrens author dealt with themes of homelessness/alcoholism/divorce/eating disorders/domestic violence etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve chosen some that are mentioned on here, we could read? If everyone, who wants to join in on the reading, pick their top 2 favourites and can narrow it down to the most popular? 🥰

• Girls in love (book 1 of the series)
• Lola rose
• Bad girls
• Double act
• The diamond girls
• Secrets

my votes are Lola rose and girls in love xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Nobody else seems to remember these but before she found her niche with Tracy Beaker she used to write teen books (I think set in the 80s, at the time they were written) that were REALLY dark, one was about a boy and girl twin but the boy died in childbirth and she was abused by her family because of it and ended up taking an overdose. Then there was another one about a girl who got bullied by her so called friend into thinking she was a witch and she tried to sleep with her adult male teacher and I think they had some sort of affair. And another one where a girl almost got raped and then it turned out the rapists best friend was gay and was in love with him and hated her because of it.
I'm so intrigued, i've never heard about those before. I know even some of her newer books probably wouldn't fly now e.g Love lessons. Although absolutely no part of that book made me want to have an affair with my teacher i can imagine people getting a bit weird about it now LOL

Reactions: 2
I’ve chosen some that are mentioned on here, we could read? If everyone, who wants to join in on the reading, pick their top 2 favourites and can narrow it down to the most popular? 🥰

• Girls in love (book 1 of the series)
• Lola rose
• Bad girls
• Double act
• The diamond girls
• Secrets

my votes are Lola rose and girls in love xx
Hard to choose! My votes are Double Act and The Diamond Girls

Reactions: 2
I read Love Lessons as a teenager and thought it was a very romantic book. Thinking of the plot now as an adult makes me very very uncomfortable

I read Love Lessons as a teenager and thought it was a very romantic book. Thinking of the plot now as an adult makes me very very uncomfortable
this was one of the ones i read over lockdown and holy moly it’s dark. the fact that the teacher faces no real repercussions for anything and the whole character of prue’s father are really unsettling. i too thought it was romantic when i read it as a teen!

Reactions: 4
I loved love lessons but when I reread it as an adult I felt disgusted by how prue was treated.
Also…

Prue was essentially groomed and preyed on by her teacher. And I found it insane that the female headteacher gave her an ultimatum and told her to leave the school, and the teacher could stay!

i read it as a teenager too (12 i think..) and i never really took it as a love story for some reason! i remember finding it really weird even at that age

Reactions: 4