Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What an absolute drama queen.
all ive taken from that is that she has (if this is true, which somewhat i doubt) she has managed to scam way too many people into buying her crappy fotos and will be making loads of money

Reactions: 6
Just catching up on this thread! I've never really warmed to 'Jack' and hearing her/him on happy mum happy baby with Giovanna Fletcher she just came across really rude, also going back to her 'skint' days, surely you wouldn't let your child go hungry just because of 'pride' when you've got your greek parents up the road who would definitely help you out - I just don't buy it! Greek people would never let anyone go hungry, they would practically force the food down your throat! (In a nice way)!

Reactions: 14
also going back to her 'skint' days, surely you wouldn't let your child go hungry just because of 'pride' when you've got your greek parents up the road who would definitely help you out
This is why I think she’s a fantasist. I daresay there’s always a grain of truth in there somewhere, but I don’t believe most of what she claims. She wrote about the heartbreak of having to tell her little boy he couldn’t have any more breakfast one morning. This was the blog post that made her famous.

Plus a Guardian write up:

Imagine your child going hungry because you won’t ask your parents down the road for help? Or her son’s father, who has always been around and she has a good relationship with? It doesn’t add up. Who would honestly be so embarrassed to ask family for help, you’d rather raise your son in a dark and freezing flat with virtually no food?

I’d love to know the other side of the story in 2012. Why did neither her parents nor her ex-partner intervene? She sent her son to his dad’s one Christmas because she couldn’t bear the idea of him spending the day in a freezing flat with no presents or tree. The man knew this and did nothing? Happily sent him back to Mummy on Boxing Day to resume his misery?

It just seems so unlikely doesn’t it?

Reactions: 35
The woman is intensely unlikeable. I don't get the hype at all. I have always thought she comes across as having a massive chip on her shoulder.

Reactions: 11
One of her books is #14 in Amazon right now and a handful of others are in the top 1000 best sellers at the moment. Hasn't she said she makes 15% of the sale price before?

I bet she's making thousands a month just from the booksales alone at the moment. Then add in the patreon money, the begging donations on social media, the support me postcards, media fees, affiliate links, adverts on her website and even without the lucrative corporate events she's still earning very well indeed. Freelancers work isn't known for being secure and if you've been through a hard time you would definitely prepare for the lean times.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
She really is a self obsessed horror these days. I always had as soft spot for her as she replied very kindly to a tweet of mine years ago. (Yes easily p!eased). Her milking kind hearted people for money is very low.

Reactions: 11
And now all the photo orders are in and the PayPal account has been topped up, she’s conveniently bunking off Twitter :rolleyes:
And nicely topped up her monthly patreon donations. She could never be honest with her finances, she's very comfortable but still has to pretend she's the same as someone on universal credit.

Screenshot_2020-03-17-08-21-20-314_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I used to like Jack a lot, have some of her books. What turned me off was the spaghetti hoops into gourmet. Poor people do not have enough to be wasting a tin of tomatoes making a sauce for hoops that come with a sauce, that could potentially be two meals.

Reactions: 14
God she's a twit. She didn't invent cooking using tins. JO is a huge name, of course he's more likely to get the gig than her. Her presenting style is dreadful, very nervy and unsure of herself, puts you on edge watching it.

Reactions: 24
She’s so entitled!! I couldn’t work out who she was referring to but all of her followers have piled on and are now slagging off jamie Oliver in the comments. I don’t particularly care for Jamie Oliver but seems really spiteful of her to do this
Oh ffs 🙄
Even she knows “I’ll probably regret these tweets”
The things is, we all know how it feels when someone is praised for something you feel is your work, or even worse if you are passed over a job in a similar scenario.
But twitter is not the place to share those feelings. Your perspective on it is not objective and there may be plenty of perfectly good reasons they went with Jamie. For one she’s clearly a pain in the arse to work with.

Reactions: 16
Good grief, she really needs to step off.

By her own admission it takes her 20 hours to prep for just six minutes of a tv segment, so maybe the major tv channel wanted to work with a seasoned tv professional who knows what they are doing?

I can’t imagine commissioning her for anything, it would be grief and drama from the get go. I don’t imagine Jamie Oliver is easy street but he’d be the height of professionalism next to Jack.

And this isn’t “her” speciality for gods sake. There’s Jess Dennison and Claire Thomson, off the top of my head. And I’m not a Jamie Oliver fan but people have grown up with him on tv and learnt to cook with his books for 20 years now, he’s a comforting figure to have on tv at a time like this, any idiot can understand why he’s got this gig. Not everything’s about you Jack ffs.

Reactions: 22
Also “jollof rice all over again”. Is she trying to claim cultural appropriation for TIN CANS, what the hell 😂 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Tin cans might be her thing but being on telly isn’t. People won’t watch it, I’m assuming it’s Channel 4 because most people haven’t heard of her. People have heard of him though and advertisers will want a part of it. None of them will be interested in advertising on a show she’s fronted she’ll have a very low viewer count She was beside herself with worry about doing a slot on Thos Morning for a few minutes, how could she front a show for a number of weeks?

if she thinks she can host a prime time TV show she’s deluded

Reactions: 13
You'd think she invented tins! Her recipes weren't anything new, she just got lucky at marketing herself.

Do you hear vegans complaining that a non vegan jumped on the vegan bandwagon?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.