Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TruffleTrifle

Jack could do with taking a solid week off work. It wouldn't hurt her income much surely.

OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks? I caved in and bought tenderstem one instead but it was extortionate. The usually 60p broccoli heads seem to have gone AWOL at my local supermarket...
Couldn’t get asparagus anywhere last I tried. Maybe picking is slowing down!

Reactions: 4

MrsOgre

VIP Member
Does anyone remember the sweet flavoured crisps? Before Jacks time but bet she would have loved them.
Sunny d was so hyped up in adverts and then in tiny print, only available in Carlisle😂 we were champing at the bit for them to be sold everywhere.

Eurgh

VIP Member
I had microwaved tofu with chilli flakes and spring onions with some vegan cheese on sourdough bread. I had w bowl of homemade spinach and lentil soup as well.

I only eat tofu now and then. I’ve stopped eating fake meat for some reason. Not gone off it but just having a break.

Last night I had a meal from the folks that are helping folk out around here with meals due to the lockdown

Vegan pie and potatoes with peas and sweet corn. The pie was lovely. Whoever cooked that really knows their stuff.
I have never microwaved tofu. Tell me more tell me more.....

Flumps

VIP Member
For dinner we had sliced potatoes with slow cooked onions with soy and ginger. Me and my daughter had cod with some salt and chilli seasoning on top and my husband had chicken with a healthy sprinkling of aromat. Was done in about 25 mins and minimal washing up.
I am very interested in this potatoes with soy and ginger business. For some reason I have always had an objection to potato and soy together, but I am thinking this may be an ill-founded prejudice.

MrsOgre

VIP Member
Don’t worry as well as the four year old mustard someone else has a three year old jar of honey. I think it’s fair to say these people should stick to ready meals.
Honey is ok but not when it's kept in the fridge

Nosy_af

Person A: Has anyone tried the recipes from Good Food for Bad Days by Jack Monroe? I've had mixed results with her recipes in the past, not sure if
Person C: What's lasagne please x

Person A? Fine. Person C? WTF is wrong with you? And there are sooooo many of them...
Things that could be googled...ffs. Thus isn't strictly related but I hate people using 'x' as punctuation. Use a bloody full stop :cautious:

• Heart

Blurp

VIP Member
I put it in a bowl with dairy free spread and today I put some grated vegan cheese on top. It doesn’t take that long to heat up, just over a minute.

I just prefer tofu cooked and it turns out fine if you microwave it.

The last couple of times I’ve made it with turmeric and dairy free spread.

I cook half a packet at a time so the packet makes two meals.
What sort of/where do you get your tofu? I used to love The Engine Shed's marinaded tofu and was devastated when they closed down.

Reactions: 3

Motherwellgirl

What I find odd is you can’t get walkers plain square crisps anymore in corner shops. You have to buy a multipack in the supermarket.

Does anyone remember Cabana bars. And savoury straws? Tudor crisps as well.

(In my defence I’ve always preferred crisps to chocolate).

No one has mentioned Spangles yet.

MrsOgre

VIP Member
What's everyone having for dinner, please? I made a sort of amatriciana pasta sauce earlier, except with fresh cherry tomatoes (fancy, or they were going soft and wrinkly) but am struggling to get off the internet and my butt to go and cook the spaghetti to go with it.
I had a freefrom ch**se and spring onion crispbake with salad and lots of salad cream 😋

MooBelle

VIP Member
Grunkaing through the pages tonight to catch up with y’all (to use one of Jack’s favourite Americanisms). Had a bit of a shitty day at work with the first redundancy announcements (not me thankfully, although it feels mean to be glad of others’ misfortune) but all your comments on lockdown larder have been properly belly-achingly hilarious.

The comment about a horse offenders register was gold. The funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

Anyway, back I trot to page 45!
ah mate, cheers. I will start writing down all horse offenders forthwith.....

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
Red Peppers? Chopped tomatoes? Paprika?!

This really explains to me how jack has fans and sells books. It makes so much sense now.

Ohhhh I must confess I LOVE eel but I do feel bad about it because they are very fascinating and mysterious creatures. I respect them but I also think they’re delicious
I think they’re also on the endangered list? I might be wrong, eel sushi is amazing though

• Wow

BB09

Ok as we are going down memory lane someone here must be able to help me please!

did anyone else have Garfield fruit punch as a child? It came in a bright pink square carton with Garfield on and was like a tropical flavour juice.

I’ve been going on at my husband for ages about it but I can’t find any reference to it at all on the internet, must have been early 90s I think. I can’t have invented it in my mind as I don’t even like Garfield that much! (I do like tropical juice and bright pink though)
It rings a bell but I seem to remember something with the pink panther on it - was also a juice and box was pink I think?!

emm

VIP Member
This is my job.

TBH a lesson plan at A1 level will be slow-moving and basic. Lots of repetition, lots of almost physical theatre on your part to get meaning across. Most standard resources will be fine (really, there's not a huge amount of variety possible at A1).

Two random tips:

* based on your post you'll likely be working with Arabic speakers. If you handwrite anything (some online teachers set up whiteboards etc behind them), don't join up your letters and don't write in all-caps. That can be confusing for people with other alphabets.

* check for guidance about no-go topics. I've never taught refugees but a friend did, and a huge number of standard-seeming topics were to be avoided (spending time with family, trips by boat, holidays...). Always check material in advance. As I said, I haven't worked with refugees but years ago, I was working with Brazilian students and had to adapt material to avoid topics about murder etc.

I'm happy to look over things for you or give you advice when you get going - feel free to PM whenever!
@colouredlines this is OT but have you done a DELTA course? I’m starting one in Augusta and shitting myself so always looking for advice 😂

Universal

Chatty Member
I have GL'd my way through the last thread and this one. The last one, well, I'm not even gonna try to pretend I understand 🤣

I think I'd like the dress, just not on her. I think it would suit someone who had less/no tattoos which take away from the dress.

I'm glad her shitshedshow was better yesterday, always good to see/hear she's improving.

Not shocked at all to see she's on twitter again already 🙄

I was a free school meal kid in the late 90s and it was one que - you told the dinner ladies your name and they ticked you off. I was a very slim child as it was often the only meal I'd get (alcoholic mum), but they were always vile 🤢

Also, I made a delicious spag bol tonight, which was loads better than normal thanks to your tips 😁
Just waiting for my spag bol

• Heart