Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

RevEd

Hello all, having been happily lurking in the background I can no longer resist commenting today, as an Ordained Minister & theologian.

JM refers to Jesus' cleansing of the temple, something I've written a paper on previously. The people Jesus kicked out were not kicked out for any money related reason; their role was completely necessary. It was the time of Passover (as indeed it is now), and all Jews were required to travel back to the Temple at Jerusalem & offer sacrifices. Therefore they needed money exchangers & those selling animals for sacrifice.

Jesus' issue was two fold; he removes the moneylenders, and those selling sheep & oxen because they had crept inside the temple walls to do their job, meaning they were trading in the only part of the temple non-Jews were allowed to worship in.

The second reason, is that he specifically speaks to & drives out the pigeon sellers, because (according to some scholars) they sold the sacrifice animal most required by the poor, who could afford no others. And actually, would often take advantage of poor people by offering something they tangibly needed, but doing so in a way which ripped them off. Sound familiar?..

Also interesting that JM refers to Titus 1; this passage is referring specifically to people from Crete, and prior to their quote it says 'Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.' Remind me what JM's heritage is again?...

p.s. re: Sunday schools, these were founded in the CofE in the 18th century, as many children simply avoided going to church & there was not wider school provision at this time. So the Church of England began doing Sunday schools which, in the first instance, taught children to read & write (using the Christian faith as a basis to do so).

Keep up the good work of noting JM's hypocrisy. As somebody intimately involved with a Foodbank & many facing real poverty, her attitude has really grated against me (having originally been a fan).

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 161

Shawads

VIP Member
The threads are moving at the speed of light, I can't keep up anymore!
As a pauper Frau, my life from 70s to early 90s was spend in various guest houses and bnbs as guests of the council along with other vulnerably housed families and lone adults down on their luck, recently released from prison, moved for safety, young mums, etc etc
Have a feeling I have written about this already but the houses were generally beautiful old houses with zero love in them. Communal areas were cheaply put together, woodchip wallpaper and the landlords were, without exception, nasty mean fuckers.
Everyone who lived there was either vulnerable or predator.
Shared TV lounges, cheapy cheap cheap breakfast cereal, some landlords would do fry ups and roast dinner and try to Shag your vulnerable mum ( mostly with success)
Being not allowed into your own home during the day with no money and nowhere to go is the pits.
Seen very vulnerable people with learning disabilities treated like this and just roaming the streets or hanging out in the launderette when not in their daycare.
My recollections are old.
With the dearth of social housing now and the increase in social issues I can only imagine these places have become worse for vulnerable adults and children
.hope she never achieves her dream of supporting the council by setting up an actual haunted hellscape.

In lighter news I'm a recently diagnosed ADHD Frau so obviously I am now the resident expert on jack and neurodiversity in general.
Looking back at prediagnosed me to the me now I can confirm I have been an arsehole at times, I generally felt terrible about it, never knew where it came from and always felt such deep shame and self loathing.
Since becoming an adult, gaining more insight into how to behave like a decent person has been invaluable.
Getting the diagnosis really helps me to see when I acted out of character and did things I never understood #reactivefrau.

I don't see the diagnosis as a reason to give myself carte blanche to be awful to people then blame it on my ADHD, chronic pain , trauma etc and I will work doubly hard now to listen to my brain when I'm reacting to slights/ perceived slight and work out how to deal with it better. Knowledge is power not a reason to absolve yourself of adult responsibility.

This has been my mid morning soapbox
The time now is 39 minutes past three or one hour and twenty minutes to five (, partridge voice)
Glad I was a le to join the thread in time to see my Easter bonnet.

It was fucking horrendous and anyone who aspires to be an HMO landlord is likely to be greedy narcissistic Tory cunt.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 122

RevEd

Welcome Rev! If I may be so bold to ask what was it that made you ‘see the light’ about Jack?
Many thanks (and to the previous reply, sadly I’m not Kate).

aside from seeing Jack’s regular pile ons in the past, it was this tweet which really turned it for me -https://twitter.com/bootstrapcook/status/1486260799786082304?s=21

Jack's tweet.png

I just found it rather odd that their attention had turned on a 6 pence, from being concerned about the true cost of inflation, to how them talking about that cost could get them air time. And frankly the sheer glee of getting that air time rubbed me up the wrong way. It became apparent then that Jack’s main interest was Jack; not people struggling to get by.

ETA: perhaps somebody could kindly screen grab the tweet, as I’ve not got a clue how that works yet.

Mod edit: Jack's tweet added in

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Heart
Reactions: 110

colouredlines

VIP Member
As a picky eater child, if my friends mum had served that up to me I would’ve cried my heart out.
Watch out for a Mumsnet thread tomorrow -

AIBU? DS went to friend's house and was served a pile of unrecognisable slop, including raw pork. DS is quite delicate, and has been sick all night. Not sure if we should mention it to the friend's mother (she is a bit volatile), or if there's another way to tackle this before the next playdate. Considering converting to Islam or encouraging DS to adopt some unusual allergies. Any suggestions?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 108
Oh no, it’s bad. Send deliveroo ASAP

533BAE34-19E5-432F-B586-FA512CCCEC7E.jpeg

83A85703-1E9A-409C-AD96-F09A9BC5CF28.png

08EF6E25-B20F-4612-B6F5-6877EC418325.png

B3640D99-AA16-4E6F-B019-BE80F5F10312.png

PS sorry for the hugely unprofessional scroll bars, silver and marm would NEVER, but I have an iPhone mini cos smol hands 😭

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 108

PoorPatrol

VIP Member
Ughh I feel myself get so triggered and snowflakey about the SB x OH stuff (that’s probably all lies). I really hate this whole, way too fast, enforced family situation. She doesn’t have him half the time, so could work out a new relationship slowly without SB even being aware. He doesn’t need to play happy families with someone she’s dated for a couple of months, it’s so fucking inappropriate. Plus she’s allegedly in recovery and shouldn’t be dating at all.

As someone with a child of the same age and as an actual single parent, I know with absolute certainty that this is too much too soon. She needs boundaries to protect her son.

Also…. And I may be way off here, but I would not be letting my child stay over at her house anyway, let alone if there was an ‘OH’ there they’d been dating a couple of months. Is that not basic safeguarding or am I the one being weird?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 106

Valiofthedolls

VIP Member
I don’t want to keep the Cable in suspense, so let me just tell you this is as far as I got. The banana was too ripe and mushy so when I pressed it down the inside tried to escape which I did not like. Immediately after this, I was interrupted by a couple asking for directions - from a woman trying to stick a bursting banana to the back window of her car.

Never fear though fellow fraus, for I am unbowed by this ripeness/consistency setback and will return another day with fresher fruit 🍌

7CECAD39-94C4-4B17-9A6A-A321FC3528D5.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
She is actually out of order with that tweet. She wouldn’t dream of posting something at a high profile Muslim or Jew Tory or person she disagrees with on literally the biggest day of their religious calendar. It’s just incredibly crass as usual from her. Whether you agree with JRM or not need to remember judge not, lest ye be judged (Matthew 7:1)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 97