Ireland Travel Ban

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else stuck too?

Firstly, I completely understand why Ireland have closed the border, the UK’s response to COVID has been pretty terrible and if the shoe were on the other foot I’m sure I would want people to be kept out too!

But, I was due to be moving to Dublin yesterday and everything’s (obviously) been cancelled. I’m starting work on the 6th but will be working from home for the foreseeable future, I’ve paid a deposit on a flat and am currently paying rent and I kinda really just want to go and start my new life, even if it is in lockdown! I know this might be quite selfish! I have found a flight going on the 8th, should I even book it? Do you think the ban will be extended?

Also, the reason I was pushing to go before the 1st was because the Brexit rules seem very blurred, does the Common Travel Agreement take precedent over the new visa rules?

Is anyone else stuck too?

Firstly, I completely understand why Ireland have closed the border, the UK’s response to COVID has been pretty terrible and if the shoe were on the other foot I’m sure I would want people to be kept out too!

But, I was due to be moving to Dublin yesterday and everything’s (obviously) been cancelled. I’m starting work on the 6th but will be working from home for the foreseeable future, I’ve paid a deposit on a flat and am currently paying rent and I kinda really just want to go and start my new life, even if it is in lockdown! I know this might be quite selfish! I have found a flight going on the 8th, should I even book it? Do you think the ban will be extended?

Also, the reason I was pushing to go before the 1st was because the Brexit rules seem very blurred, does the Common Travel Agreement take precedent over the new visa rules?
Are they not allowing travel if it's essential (work ) .

At the moment you can get in via boat if you have one of boaty type job, all of the flights are suspended with the exception of a few repatriation ones until the 6th Jan

At the moment you can get in via boat if you have one of boaty type job, all of the flights are suspended with the exception of a few repatriation ones until the 6th Jan
A lot a flying to belfast and then travelling down ,you may be stopped at the border but work is classed as essential travel so I don't think it would be a problem.

A lot a flying to belfast and then travelling down ,you may be stopped at the border but work is classed as essential travel so I don't think it would be a problem.
Well, I had a flight booked to Belfast yesterday then chickened out as they’ve cancelled all of the buses from Belfast to Dublin and I was worried about getting stopped on the train! I don’t know if this whole moving thing is just becoming a distant dream 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Well, I had a flight booked to Belfast yesterday then chickened out as they’ve cancelled all of the buses from Belfast to Dublin and I was worried about getting stopped on the train! I don’t know if this whole moving thing is just becoming a distant dream 🤦🏼‍♀️
My husband travels up and down for work with no problem they don't say anything if it's for work purposes.

Have you got everything else set up address ,furniture etc ? if so there shouldn't be a problem .
Yep, I have a flat and a job all waiting for me! I think the travel ban just scared me! I’m such a stickler for the rules 😂

• Haha
If you have a way down from Belfast go for it ,are Translink not running a bus down ?
I found a real train, well I think it was a real train down then read a horror story on Twitter that the police stopped it 🤦🏼‍♀️! I’m just going to hope I can fly on the 8th direct to Dublin I think and not have to amend my 5th flight this week 😂😂

• Haha
I don’t care what you do but please get tested before coming over,
we’re screwed enough as it is.

I hope the Garda are stopping people coming in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I found a real train, well I think it was a real train down then read a horror story on Twitter that the police stopped it 🤦🏼‍♀️! I’m just going to hope I can fly on the 8th direct to Dublin I think and not have to amend my 5th flight this week 😂😂
Nah ! you're 100% allowed for work purposes ...Good luck in your new job no matter how you get there 😂 🏊‍♀️🚌✈🚕

I don’t care what you do but please get tested before coming over,
we’re screwed enough as it is.

I hope the Garda are stopping people coming in.
We counted 15 Dub reg cars in our local Sainsbury's yesterday ( not to mention the Donegal reg ones ) people are travelling regardless.

Reactions: 3
people are travelling regardless.
i don’t give a flying duck if they’re conga dancing across the border,
I’m still not going to encourage a Brit to fly to the north and then down here to infect us 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Nah ! you're 100% allowed for work purposes ...Good luck in your new job no matter how you get there 😂 🏊‍♀️🚌✈🚕

We counted 15 Dub reg cars in our local Sainsbury's yesterday ( not to mention the Donegal reg ones ) people are travelling regardless.
Ah thank you so much!! Have a great new year!! 🍾🍾

I’m still not going to encourage a Brit to fly to the north and then down here to infect us 😬
Eek thanks for this! I have been isolating, taken 3 covid tests and live in a very low covid area but I completely get your point!

Reactions: 3
It's too late ...we only have 6 hospital beds left up here ...The borders should've been shut during the summer when we had 3 cases in the whole of Ireland ,the Dub and Donegal reg drivers aren't going to take a test before they cross the border again they could be carrying it too ?

Ah thank you so much!! Have a great new year!! 🍾🍾

Eek thanks for this! I have been isolating, taken 3 covid tests and live in a very low covid area but I completely get your point!
You too 🥂

It's too late ...we only have 6 hospital beds left up here ...The borders should've been shut during the summer when we had 3 cases in the whole of Ireland ,the Dub and Donegal reg drivers aren't going to take a test before they cross the border again they could be carrying it too ?

You too 🥂
and I will say again...

• Haha
well then welcome to Ireland 😊 I hope you like it here!!!
id ask where you’re going but privacy and all that 😂😂