Intermittent Fasting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been really embracing the fasting life and I’ve even done a 20 hour fast, 2 x 24hour fasts, a 37 hour fast. Other than that I genuinely do 16/8.

I’ve lost 5lb but I find I get pretty naughty on the weekends which is impeding my progress so going to try and be better going forward.

Reactions: 3
I think I would genuinely struggle to go any longer than 16 hours…… I’d like to try but I hate drinking plain water at the best of times! I don’t drink tea or coffee so not having a Pepsi max to start the day off for me is hard enough.

Reactions: 2
In the last month my husband and I have done 3 meal-less Mondays, so not eating from Sunday evening until midday on Tuesday and have really enjoyed them. I’ve been surprised at how easy this has been but there is no way I could have done this length of fast when I first started. Even 16 hrs felt like a lot to start with. It’s really about keeping practicing and giving your body time to adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I’m going to do 16:8 properly and build up from there once I have the consistency.

I want to lose weight and need to start somewhere.

Reactions: 1
In the last month my husband and I have done 3 meal-less Mondays, so not eating from Sunday evening until midday on Tuesday and have really enjoyed them. I’ve been surprised at how easy this has been but there is no way I could have done this length of fast when I first started. Even 16 hrs felt like a lot to start with. It’s really about keeping practicing and giving your body time to adjust.
How long did it take you until you felt ok to do this? Once I get too hungry I start feeling sick and dizzy

I’m about to start 16:8 but I’m concerned about exercise. I do spin 2-3 early classes per week and I was worried about not eating before or after the class. Usually I’d have a banana before going then eggs on toast or something when I get back. There aren’t any later classes.

How long did it take you until you felt ok to do this? Once I get too hungry I start feeling sick and dizzy
After about 7 months of clean fasting. Always listen to your body and if you feel sick/dizzy/ headache-y it’s best to eat something.

I’m about to start 16:8 but I’m concerned about exercise. I do spin 2-3 early classes per week and I was worried about not eating before or after the class. Usually I’d have a banana before going then eggs on toast or something when I get back. There aren’t any later classes.
There are definitely people in the FB group that do fasted exercise, some of them do long fast 48hr+. You should probably drink an electrolyte drink, I got this one on Amazon and have it when I do 24+ fasts

IMG_9089.jpeg

Reactions: 4
Hello all, I’m back doing IF and finding it easier and can go longer 20+ hours if I put a tbsp of MCT oil in my black coffee in the morning (glass of water and electrolytes first). I actually lost 4lb the first three days but have struggled the past week as had one totally sleepless night with a migraine (PMT related I think) and my eating window had to be longer, MUCH longer. Back to it tomorrow. I like it as it’s not like SW where you have to have all the right foods in the house and no faffing about weighing things and counting cals plus the mental clarity feels amazing.

Hello all, I’m back doing IF and finding it easier and can go longer 20+ hours if I put a tbsp of MCT oil in my black coffee in the morning (glass of water and electrolytes first). I actually lost 4lb the first three days but have struggled the past week as had one totally sleepless night with a migraine (PMT related I think) and my eating window had to be longer, MUCH longer. Back to it tomorrow. I like it as it’s not like SW where you have to have all the right foods in the house and no faffing about weighing things and counting cals plus the mental clarity feels amazing.
What's MCT oil? I'm new to fasting

What's MCT oil? I'm new to fasting
Medium chain triglycerides - comes from a coconut but not the same as usual coconut oil so the many YouTube videos I’ve watched about it tell me 🤣🤣🤣 I use the one from Ancient & Brave

Hello! I'm glad I've found a thread on IF before I start!

I'm a beginner looking to loose weight, feel healthier and be happier in my skin! I weigh more than I've ever weighed and am dreading the spring/summer months because layers are my friend!

I'm thinking of fasting on a Monday and Wednesday until tea time, is this a sensible start point? I know I have to keep hydrated during the fasting hours, but is there anything else I should be doing/not doing?
Should I exercise during fasting hours or is this not advised? I don't do a lot of exercise, it's school runs and the odd half hour on an exercise bike!

Thanks all! 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello! I'm glad I've found a thread on IF before I start!

I'm a beginner looking to loose weight, feel healthier and be happier in my skin! I weigh more than I've ever weighed and am dreading the spring/summer months because layers are my friend!

I'm thinking of fasting on a Monday and Wednesday until tea time, is this a sensible start point? I know I have to keep hydrated during the fasting hours, but is there anything else I should be doing/not doing?
Should I exercise during fasting hours or is this not advised? I don't do a lot of exercise, it's school runs and the odd half hour on an exercise bike!

Thanks all! 😊
Welcome! Sound plan- all you need to do it keep hydrated with plain water, black tea/coffee during your fasts. If you are normally active during the time you are planning to fast, then no need to change your routine. You might find the busier you keep yourself on fasting days, the easier it is to stick to your schedule. Pay attention to how you feel and make sure to eat if you start feeling weak and headachy. You’ve got this!

• Heart
A bit controversial but I thought I’d share my IF experience .. I’ve been IF for a long time but I really look forward to a coffee in the morning - total non negotiable for me! 🤣. I will have a skinny cappuccino or latte in the morning & then I fast until evening & have a meal.
Go easy on yourselves new starters! & I promise you’ll feel better the more regularly you IM.

• Heart
Thank you!! Very helpful advice! I've been doing some reading this evening and am now looking at doing the 16:8 everyday rather than the 5:2 every week. I've also been reading about OMAD, but I think that might be something to work towards!

Have you guys had good results doing IF?

Thank you!! Very helpful advice! I've been doing some reading this evening and am now looking at doing the 16:8 everyday rather than the 5:2 every week. I've also been reading about OMAD, but I think that might be something to work towards!

Have you guys had good results doing IF?
I was going to say if you’re going to do two days as in 5:2 that (for me anyway) is a brutal introduction to fasting. I did that about ten years ago and ohmygod, couldn’t sleep for hunger, 16:8 definitely more manageable. Also if you listen to Dr Mindy Pelz she doesn’t recommend OMAD for women, esp in lead up to period, it’s not enough. I’m not doing any exercise just now but last time I worked out regularly I did it in the morning to get it out the way and I found it much easier doing it in a fasted state. As soon as I eat tiredness creeps up 😰😩

I was going to say if you’re going to do two days as in 5:2 that (for me anyway) is a brutal introduction to fasting. I did that about ten years ago and ohmygod, couldn’t sleep for hunger, 16:8 definitely more manageable. Also if you listen to Dr Mindy Pelz she doesn’t recommend OMAD for women, esp in lead up to period, it’s not enough. I’m not doing any exercise just now but last time I worked out regularly I did it in the morning to get it out the way and I found it much easier doing it in a fasted state. As soon as I eat tiredness creeps up 😰😩
To be honest, I didn't know any other IF existed! I'd only ever heard of 5:2! I'm glad I'm not giving that a try then!
Ah, ok, OMAD is definitely out then. To be honest, I think I would struggle not eating for 23 hours! I'm thinking I'll do 12-8 which would work for me as I'm not a big breakfast person - plus most of the fasting is overnight! 🤭
I'm glad you said that about the exercise as I like to do it in the morning to get it done anyway!

To begin with I’d throw out any rules honestly.

Just see how late you can go without breaking your fast. You’ll get to the point where you’ll be like ‘ah I can wait a little longer, just one more hour’ ..
That way if you do fall off the wagon so to speak there’s no guilt.

I have my coffee in the morning (it gives me something to look forward to in the morning 🤣) then I drink 2L of water. I try to wait until I get home & then I’ll have OMAD.
I’m not mega strict though & won’t deprive myself anything & I go to lunch with friends etc.

OMAD is great for weight loss, as is IM. it depends where you’re at now though. It certainly may cuts the calorie intake.

Sorry if this is a load of waffle! hope it helps!

To be honest, I didn't know any other IF existed! I'd only ever heard of 5:2! I'm glad I'm not giving that a try then!
Ah, ok, OMAD is definitely out then. To be honest, I think I would struggle not eating for 23 hours! I'm thinking I'll do 12-8 which would work for me as I'm not a big breakfast person - plus most of the fasting is overnight! 🤭
I'm glad you said that about the exercise as I like to do it in the morning to get it done anyway!
Worth reading Delay Don’t Deny by Gin Stephens as it explains how to get started with IF and various fasting schedules. We are all different and it’s worth finding out what works for you and your lifestyle.