Incidents, aftermath and media scrutiny.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When an unexpected, unexplained incident takes place to an ordinary citizen and the main stream media descend

Is it simply doing their job and informing the public or an invasion of privacy to drive content for the rolling 24 hour news Channels.

How much accountability should there be, how should this be regulated in light of recent unprecedented events.

Reactions: 11
I think there is a balance between keeping the public informed and creating an utter shitstorm.

The Nicola Bulley case recently is a perfect example of that. The media turned it into a 'whodunnit' mystery, undermining the police and disrespecting the ongoing investigation. It almost felt like it would be a disappointment to the media if she turned out to be 'just' another missing person. They are so hungry for drama. (I guess it could be argued that some family/friends in this case involved the media a lot, but I'd never blame a family for doing this - I'd want all the awareness possible for my missing relative)

Ultimately people get invested in these incidents involving ordinary citizens, particularly like the one I have mentioned, because they can picture themselves in that situation. They want to know everything because they want to assess how 'safe' they are from something similar happening to them. But in my view, the media should have a responsibility not to sensationalise and turn these horrible situations into entertainment; the effect it has, particularly on the families of victims is despicable. I think the popularity of true crime has made this much worse, and I say that as a fan of true crime documentaries etc myself; the public feel they have a right to know as much as the police do at any given moment, and I think that is a relatively recent change.

Sorry for the long response - I feel quite strongly about this! Ultimately I think the media really need to reassess how they cover these types of events and the responsibility they hold.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think there is a balance between keeping the public informed and creating an utter shitstorm.

The Nicola Bulley case recently is a perfect example of that. The media turned it into a 'whodunnit' mystery, undermining the police and disrespecting the ongoing investigation. It almost felt like it would be a disappointment to the media if she turned out to be 'just' another missing person. They are so hungry for drama. (I guess it could be argued that some family/friends in this case involved the media a lot, but I'd never blame a family for doing this - I'd want all the awareness possible for my missing relative)

Ultimately people get invested in these incidents involving ordinary citizens, particularly like the one I have mentioned, because they can picture themselves in that situation. They want to know everything because they want to assess how 'safe' they are from something similar happening to them. But in my view, the media should have a responsibility not to sensationalise and turn these horrible situations into entertainment; the effect it has, particularly on the families of victims is despicable. I think the popularity of true crime has made this much worse, and I say that as a fan of true crime documentaries etc myself; the public feel they have a right to know as much as the police do at any given moment, and I think that is a relatively recent change.

Sorry for the long response - I feel quite strongly about this! Ultimately I think the media really need to reassess how they cover these types of events and the responsibility they hold.
Absolutely, when a family are going through a life changing event and ask for mainstream media privacy I think they should rightly be held accountable if they then disregard said families wishes .

Reactions: 3
Absolutely, when a family are going through a life changing event and ask for mainstream media privacy I think they should rightly be held accountable if they then disregard said families wishes .
Absolutely. I’m not entirely sure what regs are currently in place with IPSO but I do feel there should be more. There is absolutely a line between a free press (which I absolutely agree there should be) and harassment. Sky News absolutely crossed that line by contacting NB’s family directly after her body was found on Sunday. No words for that!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I suspect early days of that particular case media thought it was going to take a sinister turn. It didn't. It was a very ordinary investigation that was badly communicated probably to protect the privacy of the victim. Media have questions to answer, I notice they blame social media arm chair detectives but to be frank they wouldn't have had anything to natter about if the media wasn't offering rolling news.
This case was so ordinary. Horrid. But ordinary.
It's hard to believe it went like this, last three weeks have been madness.
---
As well as that, the word mystery was misused.
Who started with that word? Probably the mainstream media. It wasn't ever really a mystery.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I suspect early days of that particular case media thought it was going to take a sinister turn. It didn't. It was a very ordinary investigation that was badly communicated probably to protect the privacy of the victim. Media have questions to answer, I notice they blame social media arm chair detectives but to be frank they wouldn't have had anything to natter about if the media wasn't offering rolling news.
This case was so ordinary. Horrid. But ordinary.
It's hard to believe it went like this, last three weeks have been madness.
I think there's going to be so much to come with regards to the fall out from the NB case, and rightly so.

Reactions: 4
I personally think the rolling news channels should be done away with. It's rare there's enough news for them to fill every 24 hours with - even QEII's ten days of mourning became excrutiatingly tedious. If we only had a couple of news updates a day, like back in the old days, people would be a lot less bonkers than they are and the atmosphere would be a lot more chilled in the UK as a whole.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I personally think the rolling news channels should be done away with. It's rare there's enough news for them to fill every 24 hours with - even QEII's ten days of mourning became excrutiatingly tedious. If we only had a couple of news updates a day, like back in the old days, people would be a lot less bonkers than they are and the atmosphere would be a lot more chilled in the UK as a whole.
Totally agree, we watched about half an hour last night of Talk TV and it was unreal the presenter (don't know his name) was absolutely on one !
getting people to call in to fill the show and lots of them were still wildly speculating about Nicola's family, unbelievable 😒

• Wow
Reactions: 3
The BBC literally repeat the same 8 minute or so segments all day. Sometimes even running them onto the next morning.

I think the media should handle incidents humanely, and with consideration for the family, but I don't think they should shy away from speculation or exploring all avenues. Relatives have been known to turn to the media for help with missing persons cases, such as the case of Damien Nettles. I don't want to see any more regulation/legislation. Freedom of speech is already under attack from the left wing terminally offended brigade.

Reactions: 6
Oh god absolutely this!
Other than the news headlines, everything seems to be guesswork or banality. There really isn’t any need to have constant news, because, there simply isn’t ‘constant news’

Reactions: 5
24 hour rolling news is to blame for this.

They need to fill the rather large gaps that would otherwise be four news programmes a day.

They drag on in-experts who just really want to promote themselves and just babble pure rubbish.

And then it gets repeated time and time again.

There are some articles appearing in the press about now (DM/yahoo) referring to a young woman in Garstang, Lancs who the police didn't take seriously in a previous case just last year. Further investigation. Police person sacked. May point to Lancs police not following proper procedure or the right support services being put in place.

Other matters the media are trying to blame algorithms that reward us for engaging in the story in the first place.

• Heart
Surely one of the most important lessons involves independent organisations and professionals speaking to the media, clouding the police investigation. There needs to be some form of privacy agreement to prevent that happening again, whether they are independently involved or outsourced. I have a feeling if an organisation is tasked by the police they're not at liberty to speak to the media 🤔 but I may be wrong, as a book does appear to have been compiled with references to other high profile investigations. Interesting reviews on said book.
I think its fairly obvious that the actions of one or two professionals spurred on the social media theories and those people were given a platform on television stations. Cos it was all a big laugh getting the wally to open his mouth wasn't it?
Naw I think the mainstream media need take responsibility. I'm afraid we can't blame the general public for this tit bucket.

• Heart
Inquest into Nicola Bulley's death has been opened and adjourned. confirmation that she was identified by her dental records, hopefully this bring some answers for her loved ones.
Sky news of course were all over it reporting that the family didn't attend .

• Sad
I 100% agree with this - I think it has such a negative impact on society’s mental health, anxieties, anger levels, and doesn’t offer any real value. Padding out a 24 hour news channel isn’t easy, so naturally they focus on the bad news stories, ramp up the hysteria, encourage the pundits and viewpoints that get people agitated. So much of what they present is just opinion and noise rather than actual news updates. That combined with all the social media on our phones, it is no wonder people are struggling mentally as much as they are these days.

I don’t think it’s actually possible for us to go back, but we’d all feel a lot better if we could simplify and reduce the information.

Last edited:
People will be curious about the inquest but this information is unnecessary, yet again showing the lengths the media will go to. Do they want to distress the family? Me thinks they might.
This information is freely available to whoever chooses to look for it, there is no need for it to be breaking news.

People will be curious about the inquest but this information is unnecessary, yet again showing the lengths the media will go to. Do they want to distress the family? Me thinks they might.
This information is freely available to whoever chooses to look for it, there is no need for it to be breaking news.
It’s almost encouraging another wave of speculation and accusations toward loved ones who are grieving and chose not to be there - for their own private reasons - which is their right and is probably very usual. But that won’t be the part that’s reported, because that doesn’t make a good headline.
---
Inquest into Nicola Bulley's death has been opened and adjourned. confirmation that she was identified by her dental records, hopefully this bring some answers for her loved ones.
Sky news of course were all over it reporting that the family didn't attend .
Sky News are brave…

• Heart
It's already started. Conspiracy around the reporting of the inquest. The media outlets knew people would jump to conclusions.
I'm surprised they haven't reported on other matters so in fairness they are toeing the line.
They're not afraid of regulatory bodies. What'll they get a fine? And the public backing them up because they want free press. The alternative is the government stepping in and I don't think that's a good idea.

I think it needs more regulation and there needs to be some boundaries. It's a free for all at the minute.

I also think news isn't as impartial now and more readily available. It used to be a case of news reporting news (ok there's always some bias but it was far more straightforward when I was growing up) whereas now we have panel shows or channels dedicated to news like Jeremy Vine, GBnews, TalkTv etc and websites/platforms for it.
I think that allows for more speculation, less regulation, and space for opinions which weren't really heard before. It's not so bad if there's both sides but often it's just an echo chamber (like fox news)

• Heart
Reactions: 7