IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glad I found this post x I've got a large sliding hiatus hernia, diverticular disease and suffer with bloating, cramps and diaorhea. Anxiety can set it off. Certain foods. I'm type 2 diabetic and tried metformin and ozempic. Never pooed so much in all my life 🫣😅 serious though, I was housebound. The nurse kept saying persevere. Altogether, I had about 6 months of staying near the toilet.
Now, I'm on co codamol for pain so alternate between being bunged up or running to the loo. It takes over your life!
Oh god you poor thing. I’ve experienced 2/3 week bouts of chronic diarrhoea with insane anxiety alongside and it is as close to unbearable as I can imagine. But it’s interspersed with periods of normality. Months without a break sounds horrific. Do you have someone with you to support?

Reactions: 3
Oh god you poor thing. I’ve experienced 2/3 week bouts of chronic diarrhoea with insane anxiety alongside and it is as close to unbearable as I can imagine. But it’s interspersed with periods of normality. Months without a break sounds horrific. Do you have someone with you to support?
Nope. I just deal with it. I hate it when I have an off day and can't go out. Family I imagine, think I use ut as an excuse to get out of things. I can't help it when I know I have to stay near the loo.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Nope. I just deal with it. I hate it when I have an off day and can't go out. Family I imagine, think I use ut as an excuse to get out of things. I can't help it when I know I have to stay near the loo.
I hear ya. I’m on my own too and it is such a lonely isolating condition. And a vicious circle because anxiety makes it worse but how can you not be anxious when you’re liable to tit yourself. And food becomes so complicated and fearful. Takes the joy out of life. I have no advice but can only reassure you that I hear you and you’re not alone.

Reactions: 2
Dr believe my episodes are possibly IBS as have been tested for the obvious offenders! She's asked me to keep a food diary... bit I'm honestly not eating properly as I'm can't face the pain, diarrhoea and vomiting! 😪 Do I go rogue and just cut things out I think are triggering... or go down the proper route!? 🫠

Dr believe my episodes are possibly IBS as have been tested for the obvious offenders! She's asked me to keep a food diary... bit I'm honestly not eating properly as I'm can't face the pain, diarrhoea and vomiting! 😪 Do I go rogue and just cut things out I think are triggering... or go down the proper route!? 🫠
It is important to identify the triggers though and if you try to do it yourself you’re liable to cut out things unnecessarily and muddy the waters for yourself. Likely she’s going to refer you to a dietician who’ll review the diary and symptoms and may consider starting you on an elimination diet. If you’ve already eliminated everything yourself then you
May be making both of your jobs harder I reckon. But I hear ya. It’s so hard to knowingly consume that which you think may cause a flare up. And it’s so tied to your mind too that even just expecting an upset can in itself cause it.

Have you had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy?

I think you should push for a conversation with a dietician. You could have something wrong with your stomach and/or colon. Usually you get a endoscopy or a colonoscopy to try and provide answers (sometimes a CT, or another method like a spit test). Sometimes both.

It could be your stomach is irritated (gastritis) and it’s causing everything to be thrown out. Acid and gut health are so important. It could be that it’s more colon related. Again, it could be both.

I didn’t eat properly. I cut loads out and slowly
reintroduced everything. I don’t recommend it. It’s a massive guessing game though and it may be that you don’t have IBS at all. I’ve read that IBS isn’t actually a thing and it’s what doctors say when they aren’t sure. I’m aware I’m not medical though but it’s what I’ve read time and time again when researching.

I hope you get answers, it’s terrible ♥

• Heart
Thankyou to everyone that replies - I will speak to the Dr further about having other tests done if possible. I'm going to try and eat normally, but take it easy (if that makes sense!?) Does anyone take Peppermint Oil Capsules? Wondering wethwr they are worth a go? 😊

• Heart
Thankyou to everyone that replies - I will speak to the Dr further about having other tests done if possible. I'm going to try and eat normally, but take it easy (if that makes sense!?) Does anyone take Peppermint Oil Capsules? Wondering wethwr they are worth a go? 😊
I do and they sometimes help
When I have a bad tummy it’s good little and often, no diary or caffeine and tend to have ginger nuts and then plain white rice and white chicken until tummy feels better x

Don't ask them tell them. You wouldn't believe how long some people wait to find out their diagnosis due GPs not taking them seriously. You're within your rights to tell them you want more investigations. They have a duty of care.

Hi. I was diagnosed with Crohns about 18 months ago and haven't yet experienced a flare, my main symptoms fatigue and urgency when I need the loo. The latter doesn't normally bother me as I've become a bit of a lazy hermit since lockdown and now work from home so not really an issue. However, I'm going somewhere that involves a long drive next week and wondering if it's best to restrict what I eat the day and maybe take some imodium? When I do need the loo I really don't have much warning. Any suggestions or feedback on why this may be a terrible idea gratefully received.

I have a fullness feeling under my breastbone in the centre, excessive wind heartburn now and then sometimes sulphur burps etc I’m actually itchy also but my bloods are fine liver wise.. has anyone else had these problems

This was my original post... since then I have been tested for Coeliac, Crohns and something else... however nothing came back to confirm any of these... the above happened again today. I am becoming so frustrated that I have no clue what is causing this or what I can do to stop this happening... I am just about to start training for the Police, but feel this is going to affect my career if this is something that continues to happen ever 6mths or so... 😭 Is it likely IBS? Or could it be something else... I'm just at a loss as to what to do! Sorry to be a moany myrtle!
You sound like me. I also get that awful pain just below my ribs but it gets so bad for me I have to call an ambulance an get rushed in hooked to morphine drip an all sorts. How are your kidneys? I've always been told its symptoms of kidney infection. My bloods always come back clear but I get given anti biotics anyways. I do have kidney scarring but apparently it's nothing to do with it. It only happens once a year for me.

Thought you folks might appreciate this. Or hate me for ruining Maltesers!

IMG_8854.png

• Haha
I’ve got a colonoscopy booked in a few weeks time.

I’m currently undiagnosed. All stool samples and blood tests are normal! But my stomach around the belly button and to the left side is so tender to press on. And I have type 6 and 7 (Bristol stool chart) anywhere between 5-10 times a day.

and the nausea ffs that’s what does me over the most.

• Heart
I’ve got a colonoscopy booked in a few weeks time.

I’m currently undiagnosed. All stool samples and blood tests are normal! But my stomach around the belly button and to the left side is so tender to press on. And I have type 6 and 7 (Bristol stool chart) anywhere between 5-10 times a day.

and the nausea ffs that’s what does me over the most.
My stool and bloods were fine but half my bowel had basically died - had to have it resected. Best thing that ever happened as it put me into remission for 10 years.

• Heart
My stool and bloods were fine but half my bowel had basically died - had to have it resected. Best thing that ever happened as it put me into remission for 10 years.
Can I ask, what symptoms did you have? And was your issue diagnosed by the colonoscopy?

Hi, does anyone here suffer with recurring constipation?

I have a really good diet but I seem to condition to BM triggering foods and supplements very quickly. My bowels tend to be very sluggish and are often Type 1-2.

Anyone more prone to this kind of IBS?

Hi, does anyone here suffer with recurring constipation?

I have a really good diet but I seem to condition to BM triggering foods and supplements very quickly. My bowels tend to be very sluggish and are often Type 1-2.

Anyone more prone to this kind of IBS?
Yup. Psyllium powder is a godsend. I guess you’ve already tried magnesium supps?

Yup. Psyllium powder is a godsend. I guess you’ve already tried magnesium supps?
I took Psylium for 18 months and it was brilliant, but now has no effect 😔

I'm very much aware of magnesium citrate, but I've not tried it yet due to the concern it will work great initially but then after a year or so, will lose impact.