I can't ride a bike [but I really want to]

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another adult learner here, think i was 44 when I learned. I briefly had a bike with stabilizers when I was about 8, but I really didn't take to it once the stabilizers came off and after too many inevitable crashes was too scared to get back on. Looking back I stopped at the critical point and my mum should have made me carry on, but I just accepted I couldn't ride a bike and left it at that. I was never a sporty child or teenager and none of my friends were the type to go off on all day bike adventures so I never felt I missed out.

Over the years as an adult I had occasionally felt embarrassed by not being able to ride a bike but never did anything about it till i was in my 40s and met my partner who was quite a keen cyclist. We bought a second hand bike and I wobbled round the tennis court in the local park for a couple of sessions. First time again I really couldn't get my balance for more than a second or too and I was getting frustrated. The second time something clicked and I could balance after a short while, which was a great feeling. I also did a morning's free Learn to Ride course run by the local council, which was a help. I still was very unconfident in turning round corners though so I was only really safe going on a bike ride down straight quiet cycle paths! Also the bike wasn't very comfortable - I'm tall so I had a man's bike but it wasn't comfy and stopped riding again after a short while.

I did another free half day learn to ride/refresher course about 18 months ago where the instructor really took the time with me on going round in circles and figure of 8s to get me better at cornering, and again I felt confident straight afterwards but didn't ride much after that so I feel I'm back to square one! It really is about confidence and practice, and I'm lacking in both but I really want to start again when the weather is better. If you can get any free courses near you i would recommend that, and also finding a quiet car park to practice - there's a massive park and ride car park near me that is never busy, so that's where we'll go for a practice session before I'll feel confident to go on a trail again.

I don't know why but I've always found it's socially acceptable to admit not being able to swim but people are absolutely incredulous if you say you can't ride a bike - not so much if you say you learned as a kid but haven't ridden for years and aren't confident, which is quite common, but if you say you never learned at all some people can't quite believe you! I guess one positive thing from lockdown has been that more people have decided to learn or improve so It's become less of an unusual thing to be a rookie cyclist.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If you can get any free courses near you i would recommend that, and also finding a quiet car park to practice - there's a massive park and ride car park near me that is never busy, so that's where we'll go for a practice session before I'll feel confident to go on a trail again.

I don't know why but I've always found it's socially acceptable to admit not being able to swim but people are absolutely incredulous if you say you can't ride a bike - not so much if you say you learned as a kid but haven't ridden for years and aren't confident, which is quite common, but if you say you never learned at all some people can't quite believe you!
Relate so much to this! I am always mortified to say I can't. I've looked up courses and none seem to be on during all of this but atleast a few seem to exist.

You could learn to cycle, in your local park, or along a cycle path. Do they have any converted rail tracks where you live?
I looked up converted rail tracks and they don't seem to be a thing here [Dublin city] but I see outside of Dublin and in the UK it's a thing [cycling holiday goal!].

Reactions: 5
Thank you for starting this thread! Thanks for the advice so far too. I'm in a similar-ish situation except I was able to ride a bike as a child. However, I feel like I'm starting from scratch! I've recently moved somewhere where cycling is pretty much the same as breathing. People can't understand why cycling is a massive issue for me. I'm also short, so can relate to what some of you have said. My feet barely touch any peddles :ROFLMAO:

My advice is go at your own pace and don't feel under pressure to ride a bike in a certain way or feel pressured to get a bike that feels too big or heavy for you. Starting by pushing yourself along with your feet on grass can feel less daunting. I've was put off re-starting because of well meaning advice to ride a bike 'the correct way' i.e. cycling without being able to put your feet on the floor from the saddle :eek:. If anyone tells you that just nod your head and ignore them! I tell myself I'm saving that for when I become an expert...

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Minuscule update
I just went to a local bike shop and explained that I didn't know how to ride a bike, and although I still have no bike, the guy was very helpful.
- Renting a bike. Yer man recommend a rentals shop near a big park and said that as they have a huge range of sizes and types, this would be a good way to figure out what I need.
- Walk it over to a park and just keep going.
- Rent it many times till built up some hours and comfort, and then buy the bike.

I think if it weren't pandemic times I'd be up for just buying some second hand bike on the internet but now we're not even meant to go beyond 5KM so I think renting is a good way to prove dedication and ability to myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't think it's that unusual not to be able to ride a bike. Myself, I learnt quite young when I was a child. My aunt taught me and had my stabilisers off when I was about 5. Learned to drive quite young too (grew up in the country so not much choice) and passed my test when I was 19.

However, I cannot swim to save my life. I've had lessons but no, it's just never going to happen. The really odd thing is that I don't mind water and don't have any fear of it. Last time I tried to learn was in a class of 7 total beginners. The first thing the instructor made us do was duck down and put our head under the water. I was the only one who'd do it, everyone else was too nervous too. I completely confused the instructor. She couldn't understand why I just couldn't seem to pick it up when I obviously had no fear of the water because she said that's what holds most people back.

Any other non swimmers here?

• Heart
I can’t ride a bike! I could kind of ride one when I was a kid, but I had an incident where I fell off it sideways into some bushes and I told the bike to ‘f off’ 😂 I’ve been to Centre Parcs before on holiday and everyone rides bikes there and I’m like 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree with renting a bike before committing to buy one!

• Heart
I don't think it's that unusual not to be able to ride a bike. Myself, I learnt quite young when I was a child. My aunt taught me and had my stabilisers off when I was about 5. Learned to drive quite young too (grew up in the country so not much choice) and passed my test when I was 19.

However, I cannot swim to save my life. I've had lessons but no, it's just never going to happen. The really odd thing is that I don't mind water and don't have any fear of it. Last time I tried to learn was in a class of 7 total beginners. The first thing the instructor made us do was duck down and put our head under the water. I was the only one who'd do it, everyone else was too nervous too. I completely confused the instructor. She couldn't understand why I just couldn't seem to pick it up when I obviously had no fear of the water because she said that's what holds most people back.

Me. I'm the same as you, not particularly bothered by the water but I just can't seem to get the hang of actual swimming. 🤷‍♀️

I bet that thread would get quite a lot of similar responses as to here - learned, got scared, forgot, nerves, or just simply doesn't seem to happen! I'm sure a lot feel the very same.

Reactions: 1

I'm not a strong swimmer, I can only do breaststroke, not front crawl or backstroke. I don't like the water getting in my eyes. I have to be able to put my feet on the ground.

I'm keen on being submerged in water. I enjoyed snorkeling on holiday, though.

There are a lot of activities that people find easy , but I have difficulty with them

I'm not a strong swimmer, I can only do breaststroke, not front crawl or backstroke. I don't like the water getting in my eyes. I have to be able to put my feet on the ground.

I'm keen on being submerged in water. I enjoyed snorkeling on holiday, though.

There are a lot of activities that people find easy , but I have difficulty with them
I don't mind being under the water at all, but just couldn't seem to manage arms, legs and breathing at the same time. I'd do two, forget the third and end up sinking again.

I learned to ride a bike just two months ago!

My first mistake was buying a bike that I thought looked and sounded good ... I'm 168cm tall but have very short legs and I just could not get my leg over. Even putting the bike on the ground sideways, stepping through it and trying to jump up from there would not work. So I sold that bike and bought one with a low walk-through (it looks like a vintage bike) and it is amazing - so comfortable.

I still had issues finding my balance so invested in some adult training wheels, which was a great idea. I'm still using those.

I haven't been able to get out and practice lately due to a combination of work and poor weather; however, I am definitely planning on sticking with it - I find it incredibly enjoyable.

• Heart
I can ride a bike but I live in Stockholm and am afraid because of all the traffic. It is true that it is easy once you get a hang of it, but I never felt secure enough. Had a hard time learning as a child.

Borrow a bike from somewhere?
I would recommend a “ladies model” that is possible to just jump off with it still between your legs :)

And also good to start with a bike that has a brake in the pedals, in Sweden we call it a “footbrake”.

When you first get on, start with the right pedal high up and push down your foot. Learn to balance like that before you actually sit down on the seat and cycle away🌷🚲

Take care and good luck 🤞

• Heart
I literally thought I was one of the only ones that couldn't ride a bike (im 38!)

Thank you for this thread - I did buy one a while ago to learn but then give up on it - im short as well so will be watching for any tips!

• Heart
My daughter has dyspraxia, she cant ride a bike and had to take her driving test in an automatic car she just couldn’t get the hang of gears
I wonder if I have dyspraxia too. I'm not very good at doing things that require coordination. Apparently, lots of adults with dyspraxia learn coping mechanisms so they manage to hide it

I do drive a manual car though.

I'm not that bothered about riding a bike as I think most cyclists tend to be nuisances and it doesn't appeal to me.

• Haha
I'm not that bothered about riding a bike as I think most cyclists tend to be nuisances and it doesn't appeal to me.
As a permanent pedestrian I frequently think "bicycle c*nt" when they take over the path or make walkers have to move out of the way. It's just...I'd like to be that c*nt too lol

• Haha
Exactly this is what I mean with ”lady-bike” makes a huge difference 😊
This:

1615934154066.png

Not this:

1615934196497.png

It makes all the difference :)

As a permanent pedestrian I frequently think "bicycle c*nt" when they take over the path or make walkers have to move out of the way. It's just...I'd like to be that c*nt too lol
Give it a go ... I'll be honest ... it's hard to get started! I'm 48 and tried about 10 or so years ago and just about go there, but gave up too easily. Now I'm determined to keep at it.

The hardest thing for me is finding my balance - even with the training wheels. I am getting there though. I've found YouTube videos extremely helpful ... once you can master your balance, the next bit is pushing off ... and then the rest should come naturally (easier said than done though).

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My mother taught herself all on her own. This by riding my grandmas bike downhill on a quiet country road with no traffic. This was in the 1940s🙂

• Heart