I can't ride a bike [but I really want to]

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey there,

I'm wondering if there are any of you that are late learners to cycling?

I'm a fully grown woman with absolutely zero ability, and would love nothing more than the freedom to hop on a bike and nip about the town, or the countryside or just one of those lovely holidays people seem to go on and see so much.

But, obviously, I canny cycle.

If any of you have any advice, I'd be very grateful! I'm heavy ashamed of this lack of basic skill!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hey there,

I'm wondering if there are any of you that are late learners to cycling?

I'm a fully grown woman with absolutely zero ability, and would love nothing more than the freedom to hop on a bike and nip about the town, or the countryside or just one of those lovely holidays people seem to go on and see so much.

But, obviously, I canny cycle.

If any of you have any advice, I'd be very grateful! I'm heavy ashamed of this lack of basic skill!
I have a good friend who learned how to ride a bike in her 40’s. She found a class she could go to which taught complete novice adults. Look on line to see if there are any courses locally once lockdown ends. Good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
hey! :) i never learned to ride a bike because the city i live in is not adapted to this. however, i always wanted to! so when i moved to ireland when i was 23, i decided i'll teach myself. one day i just went and bought a used bike after work and walked home with it. the backs of my legs were full of bruises from the pedals 😂 that night between 9 pm and 1 am i spent those 4 hours teaching myself because the street was pretty empty at that time. however, only the first 15 minutes were spent actually learning and the rest cycling around! i learned so fast and it was because i got distracted in one moment, stopped thinking about it and then the next moment i realized i'm riding a bike. as soon as i realized, i lost balance. so you just have to let go: of the fear, the embarrassment, the worries. it's easier said than done but it's all in our heads :D so make the environment and the circumstances as comfortable as possible and just go for it!! also, i had the added ''pressure'' of having bought a bike and then ''having'' to use it! good luck :)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Do not be ashamed!! I learnt to ride a bike when I was a kid. But didn’t ride much as I lived close to a main road and my parents were scared I’d get knocked down. The last time I rode a bike I was about 8.

Early 20’s I visited Amsterdam with my friends. And EVERYONE cycles there. More bikes than cars. We decided to hire a couple of bikes for a day. I thought “it’ll be fine, you never forget how to ride a bike”. I was wrong. I immediately fell off :ROFLMAO: I just couldn’t do it. I was so embarrassed. I had to roll the bike back to the shop and politely ask for my money back.

Since then, like you ive wanted to learn. It’s all about balance, coordination and confidence. Definitely look for some local courses. Or even videos on YouTube. I know you can get balance bikes for children so there may be some for adults? Or even try with some stabilisers. Good luck x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I used to ride my bike all over as a kid, about 15 years later I decided to hire one in San Francisco to cycle along the Golden Gate......omg I was so shaky on it, thank god I said yes to a helmet lol. I did buy a bike a few years ago as I liked the idea of cycling to work and around town but I ended getting rid of it as my town is not bike friendly at all.
I would definitlely look for local courses or videos, perhaps see if theyre is a cycling club near you. They might be able to offer advice.

I'm not much help but it's all about confidence I think! Maybe make sure you have lots of space so you can just go at it (whilst being careful!). I'm still scared to ride on the road though lol

Get a bike that fits you off Gumtree/small ads and put the saddle down to the lowest point and then sit on it and move it along with your feet to get your balance. Like a child does on a balance bike. do this until you feel confident and then start with the pedals and put the seat up. I'd do it in a park or on a quiet street on the footpath to start with. Honestly it wont take you long. Also get a hybrid with flat bars not a drop bar/racer type to start with.Dont get put off with people making comments or anything.
When you get the basic hang of things you could start riding up and down the street, round the estate etc. Ask on Facebook about classes etc/groups when things open up a bit more good luck.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I just wanted say that I am in my 30s and never learned to ride a bike either, I’m sure it’s more common than we think :)

• Heart
riding a bike is like ... riding a bike. It’s very easy but you need to make sure you’re going fast enough or you’ll fall off. Good luck!

I can't ride a bike either. I blame the way my dad tried to teach me as my oldest never learned and he tried to teach them .( this is despite me telling their dad to make sure he taught them as I didn't want my dad doing it ).

I'm hoping to teach my little ones with a balance bike as I think I would've found that beneficial.

I also wonder if I have dyspraxia because I have certain traits of it .

• Heart
hey! :) i never learned to ride a bike because the city i live in is not adapted to this. however, i always wanted to! so when i moved to ireland when i was 23, i decided i'll teach myself. one day i just went and bought a used bike after work and walked home with it. the backs of my legs were full of bruises from the pedals 😂 that night between 9 pm and 1 am i spent those 4 hours teaching myself because the street was pretty empty at that time. however, only the first 15 minutes were spent actually learning and the rest cycling around! i learned so fast and it was because i got distracted in one moment, stopped thinking about it and then the next moment i realized i'm riding a bike. as soon as i realized, i lost balance. so you just have to let go: of the fear, the embarrassment, the worries. it's easier said than done but it's all in our heads :D so make the environment and the circumstances as comfortable as possible and just go for it!! also, i had the added ''pressure'' of having bought a bike and then ''having'' to use it! good luck :)
Oh well done! I suppose buying a bike would indeed be a start 😅

I'm in Ireland and it's cycling around the Aran Islands, or the wild Atlantic way - that's the dream!!

• Heart
I think I would class myself as a non-bike riding person. I learnt to ride briefly when I was 14-15, even then it was for a short time before I fell off. With me, I never understood how to get the balance right. But I haven't been on a bike since school which was 20 odd years ago, so yeah I probably don't know how to ride it now either. My husband is the same, went on a bike at school - not been on one since (well actually he did have a motorbike for a while, does that count?).
It uses to P*** me when my mum uses to say that I couldn't learn to drive if I couldn't ride a bike. Now I don't know how to ride a bike or drive so I just use my two feet.
I'm also quite a short person and it scares me if my feet can't touch the floor so that perhaps another reason why I never been a bike riding person.

• Heart
Oh well done! I suppose buying a bike would indeed be a start 😅

I'm in Ireland and it's cycling around the Aran Islands, or the wild Atlantic way - that's the dream!!
i did around the smallest of the aran islands and it was incredible :)
you live in such a beautiful country! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I think I would class myself as a non-bike riding person. I learnt to ride briefly when I was 14-15, even then it was for a short time before I fell off. With me, I never understood how to get the balance right. But I haven't been on a bike since school which was 20 odd years ago, so yeah I probably don't know how to ride it now either. My husband is the same, went on a bike at school - not been on one since (well actually he did have a motorbike for a while, does that count?).
It uses to P*** me when my mum uses to say that I couldn't learn to drive if I couldn't ride a bike. Now I don't know how to ride a bike or drive so I just use my two feet.
I'm also quite a short person and it scares me if my feet can't touch the floor so that perhaps another reason why I never been a bike riding person.
I too am short and can't drive either. When the zombie apocalypse comes we better be able to Usain Bolt ourselves away!

• Haha
I don’t really have any advice, but I just wanted to wish you good luck and say that I’m a fellow adult who never learned to ride a bike (strangely enough, I do have a driving license)! It’s definitely more common that one would think; that being said, learning to cycle is my NY’s resolution for this year, so here is to us mastering this skill in 2021! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
i'm also short and even though i have a drivers license i'm terrified of driving 😬😬

• Heart
I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was 11 and even then I never owned a bike so didn't get the chance to ride again until I was 15 when I realised I could no longer turn corners, I came to my first corner and promptly fell off. I got on a bike again at 29 and cycled about 6ft and that was 12 years ago.

I'd love to be able to get on a bike and go for a ride in the country, I've looked into getting a trike but as I live in a flat I have nowhere to store it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
You should always adjust the bike seat so that you can stand on both feet comfortably with the bike between your legs.

i learnt to ride a bike as a kid of about 5 or 6 years old. It was just the done thing. You got given a bike for Christmas usually and stayed out with stabilisers on and then progressed to having them taken off and away you went. Never off bikes as kids. I’ve been on bikes over the years as an adult, never thought twice about it, you just get on and peddle, it’s no more complicated than that!

I don’t want to sound dismissive, this is meant to be reassuring, but I think you’ll be shocked at how easy and intuitive the whole thing is. It’s definitely just about confidence! I learnt to ride at 18 (so young adulthood, still relatively fearless through sheer ignorance lol) and took to it very well. The hardest thing was riding on roads tbh as I had no idea about the rules.

I’m also short so would suggest going in store to try bikes as the weight of bikes was my biggest problem tbh. I loved the vintage style ones that tended to only come with 2-3 gears, which depending on your use for it may not be the most practical so defs recommend speaking to someone!

Massive good luck, it’s SO much fun I really miss being able to ride a bike! xx

• Heart
Great thread. (y)
I've been a cyclist on and off for many years, my Father taught me to ride one, it had stablisers attatched to the back wheel! I lost interest until my 20's, when I bought a raleigh wisp - cool bike. Then in 2018, I bought a second hand bike, it was one of the best purchases I ever made.
An ideal time to learn to cycle, is during a lockdown the roads should theorectically be less congested - they were during the last year's Spring lockdown. You could learn to cycle, in your local park, or along a cycle path. Do they have any converted rail tracks where you live?