I can't ride a bike [but I really want to]

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was quite late learning to ride my bike, I was around eight and was well behind my peers. My brother could ride without stabilisers when he was four! I think it does come easier to some people. A few years ago I went on a residential school trip with some Year 5s (aged 9/10) and surprising number couldnt ride a bike. By the end of that day all of those kids could ride unaided, so it is possible for anyone to learn its just easier for some to get the balance right.

Reactions: 4
There's a crossbar (the diagonal bit that connects the post with the saddle to the post with tge handlebars) on the "male" bike so you have to swing your leg higher to get on and off it. Sometimes the crossbar is completely horizontal just below the saddle which is a bugger - that's what my first bike was like, not good as I have a bit of a dodgy hip. The "ladies" bike doesn't have a crossbar at all so you can just step off it - in fact the instructors on my first learn to ride course called it a "step through" bike rather than a ladies bike.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
There's a crossbar (the diagonal bit that connects the post with the saddle to the post with tge handlebars) on the "male" bike so you have to swing your leg higher to get on and off it. Sometimes the crossbar is completely horizontal just below the saddle which is a bugger - that's what my first bike was like, not good as I have a bit of a dodgy hip. The "ladies" bike doesn't have a crossbar at all so you can just step off it - in fact the instructors on my first learn to ride course called it a "step through" bike rather than a ladies bike.
This is really helpful! Thank you

• Heart
I can still ride a bike, but one of my daughters is 8 and can’t yet. We bought her a new bike last year and have been out on it a handful of times, although not recently due to the weather. Think I even posted a thread here asking for advice, it’s just not clicked yet. She’s not the sportiest of children and gets frustrated easily. Been feeling like the worst parent as I feel part of it is that I left it ‘too late’ to take the training wheels off and that it’s a failing on my part. This thread has actually made me feel slightly better about that and has given some really useful tips that I can apply to my daughter too. Good luck op and anyone else learning to ride, it really is one of those things that you just ‘know’ how to do once it clicks - I find it really hard to describe to my daughter how to balance when she asks, because it’s just something that ‘happens’.

Another wee update
On Wednesday I went to the recommended bike rental place and the guy was class! As a poster above recommended, he too suggested a step through bike. He even took me out onto the path and got me going, and kindly wouldn't take any money. I then took the bike to a nearby park and gave it a go.

I would say I'm only able to go about 60% of the time that I want to [still up from 0%!] and stopping, people, children, and dogs, send me into a bit of a panic. Definitely wouldn't be road worthy anytime soon, BUT and this is a big but -

See when there's a bit of momentum going, the pace is comfortable, the balance is good, just riding away - genuinely feels like bliss.

I have the bike still and am on a day off so debating on whether to go to a quiet campus or a more adventurous cycle near the sea.

Either way, one of the biggest hassles I've had with the bike is getting it up the stairs! Omg I was absolutely bet and thought this is how I'd get injured wi the bike - at home and on the stairs.

So now, psyching myself to go out again and decide on where to go. Still nervous, but already feeling a good bit happier than before starting off.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I can't ride a bike either. I blame the way my dad tried to teach me as my oldest never learned and he tried to teach them .( this is despite me telling their dad to make sure he taught them as I didn't want my dad doing it ).

I'm hoping to teach my little ones with a balance bike as I think I would've found that beneficial.

I also wonder if I have dyspraxia because I have certain traits of it .
I think you might have. swimming and bike riding tend to be difficult for Dyspraxics.

Another wee update
On Wednesday I went to the recommended bike rental place and the guy was class! As a poster above recommended, he too suggested a step through bike. He even took me out onto the path and got me going, and kindly wouldn't take any money. I then took the bike to a nearby park and gave it a go.

I would say I'm only able to go about 60% of the time that I want to [still up from 0%!] and stopping, people, children, and dogs, send me into a bit of a panic. Definitely wouldn't be road worthy anytime soon, BUT and this is a big but -

See when there's a bit of momentum going, the pace is comfortable, the balance is good, just riding away - genuinely feels like bliss.

I have the bike still and am on a day off so debating on whether to go to a quiet campus or a more adventurous cycle near the sea.

Either way, one of the biggest hassles I've had with the bike is getting it up the stairs! Omg I was absolutely bet and thought this is how I'd get injured wi the bike - at home and on the stairs.

So now, psyching myself to go out again and decide on where to go. Still nervous, but already feeling a good bit happier than before starting off.
Well done! This is fantastic!!!

Sorry I didn't see your question about the step-through part before but I see someone else responded.

My initial mistake was in buying a "ladies bike" but I had no idea that it wasn't a one size fits all type thing. Having the middle bit very low to the ground was an instant 'aha!' moment for me.

A little practice each day and you'll be amazed at how quickly you pick it up. I'm still using my training wheels but have graduated from my pathway to my (very long - about 300m) metal driveway now.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m in my early 30s and also never learned how to ride a bike! Found the whole process extremely frustrating and upsetting as a child as my parents and family members just didn’t understand why I couldn’t get it!
I recently bought a second hand one and have been out a few times, I’m lucky enough to have an extremely supportive and patient partner who is bearing the brunt of my frustrations!
It seems like a simple and intuitive thing to achieve but in reality as an adult I’m finding it hard - despit this I’m persevering and hopefully will be more confident by the summer!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I didn't learn to ride until I was 14 through a school programme, parents couldn't afford a bike as a kid, but like others said it is relatively easy. I'd suggest getting a supportive friend to help you learn or look into classes.

Just read your update, that's fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself!

• Heart
Another wee update

Is there anywhere on ground level that you can keep your bike, a garage, or a shed perhaps? I mostly store my cycle in my partner's shed, but when I go back to my place, I lock the bike to the interior stair banisters on the ground floor of the flat where I live. There is only one floor below my flat, so not too far to leave it. My neighbour gave me permission to leave my bike, it is best to ask permission first.

I'll be moving in a bit and even if there's no bike storage, at the very least, there's a lift lol. I was in a panic!

So today I went back to the campus, took ma time, and really really enjoyed it. Still not going every time I want to go, still a fair bit of panic once it starts to pick up speed or I see a potential obstacle like a child in the far distance. I also, in both a brave and stupid act, took it out on the road for a very very small stretch that didn't have really any cars. Baby steps [peddles?].

I will definitely rent a bike again. Even if to just do a few laps of the park, it feels class.

I'll be moving in a bit and even if there's no bike storage, at the very least, there's a lift lol. I was in a panic!

So today I went back to the campus, took ma time, and really really enjoyed it. Still not going every time I want to go, still a fair bit of panic once it starts to pick up speed or I see a potential obstacle like a child in the far distance. I also, in both a brave and stupid act, took it out on the road for a very very small stretch that didn't have really any cars. Baby steps [peddles?].

I will definitely rent a bike again. Even if to just do a few laps of the park, it feels class.
Delighted for you @BashmentLady ❤

• Heart