How to be happy single?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel you on this but it just so hard! Especially in this pandemic / lockdown. I have contemplated deleting my social media soooo many times as I really think it would improve my life.

my friend and I were talking about imagining general life without social media, dating without social media, friendships without social media etc.

But honestly lot of people think it’s slightly odd if someone isn’t on social media. ☹ But I do think coming off Instagram especially would help people.
I struggle with this as well. I don't have the apps on my phone so when I use it it's just on the internet so I can't just mindlessly scroll. I would love to delete it but I think I have FOMO. I can go months without going on instagram but the thought of deleting it gives me anxiety. Weird and I hate it.

The problem as well is, you can't just nip back on to look for something in particular if you don't have an account cause the sites make you sign up.

Reactions: 1
I wouldn’t delete my account either but I just log out and stay logged out for weeks at a time. It has done wonders for my MH. I have another anonymous account where I follow nice things like interior design, nature photos, and baking accounts. Nobody else knows about it and I never post on it. That way I get my fix and can check up on the people I post about here without ever needing to look at my personal account. I do very occasionally miss out on “news” from non-close friends but tbh it’s worth the trade off for me.

Reactions: 2
I recently went through a break up , I’ve got a thread on here actually . I really struggle being single but on reflection I thought what did he actually add to my life ? Nothing in fact not financially, emotionally, he caused me more stress being together , so I was definitely with him for the wrong reasons .
I just get bored on my own ! Plus as someone else said I miss intimacy & yes just sex !! I’m not the type just to get a f**k buddy either just to satisfy me in that way . Like someone else said aswell you see all these happy families on Facebook & I just think meh 😒 makes you feel lonely .
100% agree ... I just crave the connection I don’t actually want them which is quite sad

I agree with some of the people on here - I have also been in bad relationships, that weren't exactly what I wanted, and it was only after they ended that I realised that the bad outweighed the good. I put up with a lot of things because I wanted the connection, the benefits of a relationship, and I didn't want to be alone.
I've been single since May now (lockdown break up - blessing in disguise!), I have gone on a few dates here and there, but never really got past a first date. It isn't that my standards are high, I've just promised myself I would stop settling for less than I deserve/want (sounds a bit big headed, but I promise I am not). I have learnt that relationships are about compromise, but I have always been the one compromising.
I think especially now because of the pandemic and living alone I miss having someone around, someone to talk to (that's more than a friend!). I find myself swiping on dating apps.
However, I am also trying to focus on myself. I have always needed validation from men, and I am trying to realise that I don't need a man to love me, to love myself. I am more than enough!
I have started focusing on bettering myself as a person, I go on walks alone, started focusing on fitness and a healthier lifestyle, improving my cooking skills and just learning to feel content in the life that I have. I don't want to only feel content when I am in a relationship!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I agree with some of the people on here - I have also been in bad relationships, that weren't exactly what I wanted, and it was only after they ended that I realised that the bad outweighed the good. I put up with a lot of things because I wanted the connection, the benefits of a relationship, and I didn't want to be alone.
I've been single since May now (lockdown break up - blessing in disguise!), I have gone on a few dates here and there, but never really got past a first date. It isn't that my standards are high, I've just promised myself I would stop settling for less than I deserve/want (sounds a bit big headed, but I promise I am not). I have learnt that relationships are about compromise, but I have always been the one compromising.
I think especially now because of the pandemic and living alone I miss having someone around, someone to talk to (that's more than a friend!). I find myself swiping on dating apps.
However, I am also trying to focus on myself. I have always needed validation from men, and I am trying to realise that I don't need a man to love me, to love myself. I am more than enough!
I have started focusing on bettering myself as a person, I go on walks alone, started focusing on fitness and a healthier lifestyle, improving my cooking skills and just learning to feel content in the life that I have. I don't want to only feel content when I am in a relationship!
I’m so happy for you, this is a healthy outlook
I feel the same way

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm glad you're focussing on bettering yourself cause that is amazing and I find it really admirable that you are willing to admit that you needed validation as that can be really vulnerable. Keep your standards high cause you ARE most certainly more than enough and you absolutely shouldn't settle for anything less than you deserve!

I hope you don't mind me asking but a lot of your story resonated with me! Not to sound like a consellor but have you ever thought about why you're always the one compromising?
sounds wacko but let me explain.
In all of the men I've been on dates with or were talking to the ONE thing they all always had in common was that they were all emotionally unavailable. It was always when it was convenient for them to talk to me or see me, even with just a simple text back. Always made me feel confused about whether they liked me or not. They were interested in me when we texting or when we were together but then they'd disappear for hours. It all came to head about a year and a half ago when I was talking to this one guy. After a month of talking with the same cycle as above and me giving him the benefit of the doubt I ended it. It was only after I ended it and reflected on it that I realised that all the men I go for are emotionally unavailable and I realised that they were exactly like my dad, who did to me as a child the exact same thing that these guys were doing to me, i.e only saw me when it was convenient for him, he even chose the custody arrangements for the days it was convenient for him, would drop me for anything else that came along. He was interested in me when I was with him however if it wasn't his 2 days to see me then I wouldn't hear from him at all despite having a mobile he could contact me on.

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn or being too personal but having this realisation has drastically changed the men I now go for as I am aware of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My ex was emotionally unavailable for sure - he applied for a job in another country, without telling me, and I had the shock of my life when I borrowed his laptop and I saw his CV/Job application had been left open. Also other instances including not wanting to talk about the future, reluctant to say the L word and wanting to spend weekends alone with ‘the lads’. I spent 4 years with him and silly me was planning our future together - he even said he wanted to move to another city with me (we both worked there & commuted) and we went on house viewings!

Fast forward 9 months and I’m saving for my own house deposit, getting on with my career and really enjoying my independence. I can now see I spent the most part of my 20s (28 tomorrow!) seeking a relationship in order to feel fulfilled. Not anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The emotionally unavailable bit resonated a lot with me.

I chose these guys previously.

most of them saw me on their terms & one used to give me one word replies.

now I backaway fast from any one liner replies. It seems they date you properly (dinners etc) & then the romance runs out. I don’t think it’s income related (all doing very well in life). I think they cannot continue the act.

as soon as I backed off they start chasing & feeling insecure.

one pursued me for feedback & I had to meet him for a coffee to explain why one liners are disrespectful, why lack of contact is notright etc etc

he knew all this yet could notbear being dumped (ghosted by me).

for every 9 women that accept the one liners there is one (me)that won’t.

it’s when you reach this stage that the tables turn.

this guy is pursuing me (on his best behaviour now).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The emotionally unavailable bit resonated a lot with me.

I chose these guys previously.

most of them saw me on their terms & one used to give me one word replies.

now I backaway fast from any one liner replies. It seems they date you properly (dinners etc) & then the romance runs out. I don’t think it’s income related (all doing very well in life). I think they cannot continue the act.

as soon as I backed off they start chasing & feeling insecure.

one pursued me for feedback & I had to meet him for a coffee to explain why one liners are disrespectful, why lack of contact is notright etc etc

he knew all this yet could notbear being dumped (ghosted by me).

for every 9 women that accept the one liners there is one (me)that won’t.

it’s when you reach this stage that the tables turn.

this guy is pursuing me (on his best behaviour now).
With the last guy I dated when I ended it I was angry about it cause 1. cause I felt like I'd ignored my gut instinct that it wasn't what I wanted and 2. because I felt like I'd invested so much, texting him back, hinting that I liked him for him to shut me downed give me nothing in return. Now I do think that he wasn't really doing anything wrong I suppose, he just couldn't give me what I wanted/needed. He did reply properly but only when it was convenient and he wouldn't compromise to see me. I remember once messaging him saying I was going out for a drive at 9pm after dropping my friend off somewhere and asked if he wanted to come out for a bit and he said no cause he goes to bed at 10pm cause he's tired*. There realistically isn't anything wrong with that but it really used to stress me out cause I felt like if you wanted to see someone you would stay up later and that's what I want. I want someone who would jump at the opportunity to come out with me even if it was inconvenient. He's still bitter about me ending it (mutual friend told me) and I always said "well he never gave me any indication that he liked me" which I partly do believe it as there were a bunch of red flags other than the ones mentioned but I also think that maybe he did in his own way but it wasn't what I personally needed so I didn't see it.

*(that said he was happy to go on the piss with his mates all weekend but that's a story for another day as well)

@birdiefly246

yes you want them to want you.

i think we know when their actions disappoint us. I truly believe that when someone is into you they will do things out of the ordinary to see you (send you a an, Keep
In contact, explain things etc).

it’s no different to when you want to see your friends, you might have to text a few hundred times but you do because you want to. The effort needs to be there.

the difference is - now I will walk. Previously I want exhaust myself & chase.

@birdiefly246

yes you want them to want you.

i think we know when their actions disappoint us. I truly believe that when someone is into you they will do things out of the ordinary to see you (send you a an, Keep
In contact, explain things etc).

it’s no different to when you want to see your friends, you might have to text a few hundred times but you do because you want to. The effort needs to be there.

the difference is - now I will walk. Previously I want exhaust myself & chase.
Yes yes and yes. I would stay in the cycle hoping they'd eventually give me what I needed and then usually question myself, go over what I'm doing, am I being too clingy etc. Now at the first sign of not bothering (without valid reason obviously. I am fair.) I'm like no thanks. If they want you, you will know about it.

I'm glad you're focussing on bettering yourself cause that is amazing and I find it really admirable that you are willing to admit that you needed validation as that can be really vulnerable. Keep your standards high cause you ARE most certainly more than enough and you absolutely shouldn't settle for anything less than you deserve!
Thank you 🖤

I hope you don't mind me asking but a lot of your story resonated with me! Not to sound like a consellor but have you ever thought about why you're always the one compromising?
sounds wacko but let me explain.
In all of the men I've been on dates with or were talking to the ONE thing they all always had in common was that they were all emotionally unavailable. It was always when it was convenient for them to talk to me or see me, even with just a simple text back. Always made me feel confused about whether they liked me or not.
I'm aware that the issues I have are pretty much with myself - I am quite an anxious and insecure person, due to the fact that the 3 relationships that I had were pretty bad, it almost acted as a way of confirming for me that I am not good enough and I have to "work harder". It took some time for me to realise that I am not the problem, the problem was with the men that I dated because similarly to you - I went for men that were emotionally unavailable! So I was stuck in a horrible cycle of dating men that were bad for me, and confirming that I don't deserve better. Until I finally broke the cycle. It basically took "sitting myself down" 😅 and having an honest conversation with myself, and facing all of my worries and insecurities, rather than denying it. I am not perfect, and I have to work on myself. :)

I am so sorry to hear about your dad and just know that you deserve much better from him, and from the men that you date! I'm glad you had that moment of reflection though, and realised the type of men that you were drawn to and for what reasons. I think that wake up call can be a horrible experience, but also necessary to be able to move and find happiness!

With the last guy I dated when I ended it I was angry about it cause 1. cause I felt like I'd ignored my gut instinct that it wasn't what I wanted and 2. because I felt like I'd invested so much, texting him back, hinting that I liked him for him to shut me downed give me nothing in return. Now I do think that he wasn't really doing anything wrong I suppose, he just couldn't give me what I wanted/needed. He did reply properly but only when it was convenient and he wouldn't compromise to see me. I remember once messaging him saying I was going out for a drive at 9pm after dropping my friend off somewhere and asked if he wanted to come out for a bit and he said no cause he goes to bed at 10pm cause he's tired*. There realistically isn't anything wrong with that but it really used to stress me out cause I felt like if you wanted to see someone you would stay up later and that's what I want. I want someone who would jump at the opportunity to come out with me even if it was inconvenient. He's still bitter about me ending it (mutual friend told me) and I always said "well he never gave me any indication that he liked me" which I partly do believe it as there were a bunch of red flags other than the ones mentioned but I also think that maybe he did in his own way but it wasn't what I personally needed so I didn't see it.

*(that said he was happy to go on the piss with his mates all weekend but that's a story for another day as well)
I've been in that situation so many times!
I think the problem that I had was that I expected to receive the same love that I gave - every time. And I couldn't accept the fact that everyone is different and has their own "way" of giving love, and it might not be the "love" that I personally needed or expected.
For example, I've always been the type of a person to pick up a little gift for the person I care about (lets say they mentioned there was a book they really wanted to read), or buy them their favourite food or snacks - like, they were always in the back of my mind and I wanted to do things to make them happy. And it was a slap in the face, when the person did not return the same. I am not saying I wanted gifts, but it's nice when that person thinks of you, and makes effort to put a smile on your face!

Last edited:
  • Heart
I feel like men have lost their manners towards women.

They don’t seem to want a relationship (despite pretending they do). They want to date multiple women on a budget and keep you on the sidelines for when their faults are pointed out.

Also, they often treat the woman like a man (no romance). It was when I realised all this and saw the signs I improved my dating situation.

I’m wondering if all the women who are in relationships/married accepted these men to avoid being single?
Yes they do. I call them settlers.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I love this too @Lalisa_mb!

I really need to take my own advice from upthread. I just had a bit of an aimless browse on Instagram - mistake - and realised how many (read: 90%) of my uni and work and school contemporaries (all mid 30s or younger) are married. I now feel like a total freak of nature.

And that’s the thing I struggle with a lot actually, just the feeling that my life and situation is somehow “wrong” or almost going against nature when almost everyone I know is in a relationship. Does that make any sense? It makes me feel like such an anomaly. People seem to find it so natural and easy but it just hasn’t been that way for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have a very straight forward attitude to men now, I hate them 😂 Which is horrible to say but they let me down all the time. It has jaded my view of them. So I’m very cynical of people in love and relationships all together now. I think that helps me be happy single - I would have never have written that or even thought that this time last year.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I have a very straight forward attitude to men now, I hate them 😂 Which is horrible to say but they let me down all the time. It has jaded my view of them. So I’m very cynical of people in love and relationships all together now. I think that helps me be happy single - I would have never have written that or even thought that this time last year.
I agree, well I don't hate men but I keep them as friends as I don't trust them and they can't hurt me that way

Reactions: 1
I love this too @Lalisa_mb!

I really need to take my own advice from upthread. I just had a bit of an aimless browse on Instagram - mistake - and realised how many (read: 90%) of my uni and work and school contemporaries (all mid 30s or younger) are married. I now feel like a total freak of nature.

And that’s the thing I struggle with a lot actually, just the feeling that my life and situation is somehow “wrong” or almost going against nature when almost everyone I know is in a relationship. Does that make any sense? It makes me feel like such an anomaly. People seem to find it so natural and easy but it just hasn’t been that way for me.
I feel exactly the same. I’m nearly 38 and the whole relationships and family bit has totally passed me by. Not because I haven’t wanted it or chosen my career over it but because I’ve never had the opportunity. I really have to like a man before I get involved in anything and the relationships I’ve been in just haven’t worked out. Then I see everyone I know settle down, buy the big houses and have babies whenever they want (1 friend is on her 4th and another is having her 2nd in 18 months and I just feel like a massive failure). I know for a fact my friends don’t see me like that and they include me in everything. They just tell me it’s just chance that they met the person at the right time. And I can’t even say oh they’ve settled as they all have brilliant partners.

The thing that gets to me is that there’s always talk about the choice of wanting children or not wanting children, and then those who are struggling to conceive and how hard it is for them but there’s less talk about those single people who know they want a family but aren’t even in the position to start trying and that’s what I struggle with most. And lockdown certainly makes me feel my chances of getting what I want are slipping away.

Sorry to bring the thread down because the majority of the time I am really happy with my life and am content with my own company but I know exactly what you mean. I am positive that it will happen someday, whatever form that may take, and I’m not prepared to settle for just anyone after I’ve spent most of my life waiting for the right person, but I do wonder why do they get that and I don’t 🤷‍♀️

Then I read the Dating in Lockdown thread and realise why I’m happy to stay single for the time being 😂

• Heart