Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Titntat

VIP Member
Nothing at the minute. Currently on mat leave 😳 As soon as I start back and earning a decent wage were going to try and save most of my wages a month (weve been ok, not in overdrafts but being sensible) and try and save up for a buy to let. At this rate the way houses are going up and up our kids will never be able to get on the ladder. Hopefully it will give our kids a good start.

Reactions: 1

Not fussed

Chatty Member
my childcare fees eat up so much of our outgoings too, roll on the 30 free hours! Then I feel bad for wishing my daughters babyhood away

sorry about your nan x
Can't wait until the 30 hours start. When I go back to work I'll be paying for 2 lots and I don't know how I'm going to do it.
Even with sibling discount and using tax free childcare I'll be left earning £6 a day at work. Just got to scrape by for 4-5 months till the free hours start

Thank you x

Deepsigh2018

VIP Member
£6 a day? Sorry to sound stupid here but I don’t have kids, is childcare that expensive?
Yes childcare is so expensive before receiving the 30hours free I would have to pay £900 for nursery and £200 for school clubs for my eldest. ( I've just rounded the numbers to the nearest hundred) even now with the 30 hours I still have to pay £400 as the 30 hours only covers 4 days I believe or maybe 3 and doesn't include meals plus I have to pay extra to drop my child off early. Thankfully I work term time so don't have to pay extra to cover the holidays.

• Wow

KateESJ

VIP Member
My expenses are higher than my wage so I usually end up having to borrow money.
That’s fun.

• Sad

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
We now put £500 away for each of our three children each month and then we put about £1000 into a joint account. I would necessarily say we save as we have the luxury of being quite comfortable financing but the money we put into the account from our salaries means we don’t have to touch our saved funds (if that makes sense)

EyeSpy88

VIP Member
I keep looking at houses but I have it so good here it’s going to be a big change 😂
the first night after I moved out of home, I literally cried my eyes out that I wasn’t going to ever live at home again 😂😂
Hit me like a tonne of bricks, but safe to say that feeling only lasted a few days lol

• Heart

Scvee13

I’m currently in Belgium. It’s an expensive place to live, even clothes for example are all imported in so we pay a lot more. One example being Superdry, a hoodie over here will cost about 90 euros for an equivalent in the UK that is around £40. We pay a lot of tax over here on salary and we don’t have shops like dunelm, home bargains, next, b&m. So whereas in England I could go stock up on home cleaning products and go to dunelm and get nice bedding, cushions, kitchenware for a good price. Here everything is an independent store and we don’t have a huge amount of chain shops, so then you pay more. They’re used to it here but when me and my husband come back home I bring back fairy liquid and alsorts with me 😂
😂😂😂😂 Can only imagine, never been myself. Been to Reykjavik and the price of some stuff was a joke 😂

• Haha

Scvee13

Some months are better than others. Recently savings have been used for house stuff and replacing items etc so they are sitting at £150. I aim to save £325 a month if I can but last year I had to withdraw it almost every month. I've dropped money in my new job so may need to reassess that. My share of the bills is £1000 a month. That doesn't include petrol, union fees, mobile phone, registration fees for job though.

Death2unicorns

Absolutely nothing

I pay all my bills and childcare fees the day I get paid and have nothing left for the month.

My nan died this month and I don't even know if I have the money to get flowers for the funeral
my childcare fees eat up so much of our outgoings too, roll on the 30 free hours! Then I feel bad for wishing my daughters babyhood away

sorry about your nan x

Scvee13

I think even if you’re having to withdraw it, at least the momentum is there to save and the intention. We have to dip into ours frequently too, and things are really expensive where I live compared to in the UK. I’m still in Europe.
I put money away every month for my daughter and that never gets touched. So in a way I'm saving but for her future, not mine. Once I've paid off my home renovation loan I'll be able to focus on saving more. Where are you living?

Medusah80

Chatty Member
£200 on standing order
£60 on standing order for my 10yr old
This time next year I will be able to save £340 for myself a month after my Credit card has been paid off

Lyds26

Can't wait until the 30 hours start. When I go back to work I'll be paying for 2 lots and I don't know how I'm going to do it.
Even with sibling discount and using tax free childcare I'll be left earning £6 a day at work. Just got to scrape by for 4-5 months till the free hours start

Thank you x
£6 a day? Sorry to sound stupid here but I don’t have kids, is childcare that expensive?

Han___

We *try to save £1000 a month - long term project is for a kitchen extension in a couple of years, we’ll also dip into this pot for holidays.

Lyds26

To make everyone who has commented, to feel bad/guilty. No one should feel bad about how much they can save - whether that be nothing, £5 a month or £2000 a month. Everyone has different circumstances. Just because I save quite a bit now I know I won't always be so lucky to. I'm not in a well paid job either. It takes a lot of 'going without' for me to save money.. I'm far from rich!
THIS!!!! I save quite a bit but we don’t go out to restaurants every night, I’m not saving for anything special but I know there might be a time when I can’t save.

Lyds26

Easy as the title suggests. How much are you saving? I’m 33 and left a good job in the UK to move abroad for my husband. I now live in a non English speaking country and while I know the language it’s not good enough for a high up job so to speak. So with his job and my (low pay) job, we are managing to save about £800- £1000 a month. Is this pretty similar to others? I have no idea. We try to live off his wages and save mine. I always feel like this isn’t enough for people our age. Please let me know where you’re up to. I’m curious!

fireflies

VIP Member
Previously last year nothing as used all savings buy a house and renovate.
I hate it as makes me feel insecure but it's a struggle to save.
It means we reguarly use credit card for emergencies.
Been reading Dave Ramsey and want to build up 1k emergency fund.
Also I say most years I'm saving for Xmas and never do then get annoyed with myself.
Signed up for Lloyds save the change account.
Started another local savings account for Xmas.
We still want to do stuff around the house.
The kids have some trip expenses coming up that we are aware of so doing the penny challenge to see if that can find majority of the trips.
Would also love to save a birthdays/back to school funds as again it's like Xmas it's and time every year and then we struggle those months.
The car is costing a bit lately and mot is due for spring as find it's the random things each month broke washing machine, new tyres that push us into the red.
Would love family holiday abroad next year.
My initial plan not started until next month as Jan pay awful is try and cut back on spending to allow us to save more.
Also try and up income with side hustled and possibly some part time work in autumn.