Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
My husband and I combine bills/income and at present after household expenses we have a disposable income of around £7500 - that is before we put money in to our children’s savings accounts.

I have just quit my job as we are planning a move to the States as my husband has been offered an amazing. Job opportunity, however we do have the security that we have no mortgage and we both received trust funds so we are able to been extremely flexible when it comes to money/life style.

• Wow
Reactions: 7

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
Hubby earns 3k per mth.

Bills (direct debits/standing orders) are about 1.6k leaving around 1.4k a month, so £350 a week.

That £350 a week includes everything else, so food shop, haircuts, holidays, birthdays, hobbies, car repairs, petrol, clothes etc so with 2 adults, 3 kids, a dog and a cat, it never seems to go very far!

Reactions: 6
I work part time on my own business... The profit isn’t huge. My husband works long hours. We have our own house. We don’t drink, we don’t have take outs. I cook our meals from scratch and freeze a lot of home made cooking. we rarely go out as a couple. We don’t really socialize, suppose it sounds quite boring but that’s what we choose to do. we have two holidays abroad a year. We also have days out. We have children and they don’t go without and probably do have more than most kids do. We don’t have much change at the end of the month tbh.

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
A lot (£9k+), but I am old, my kids have pretty much flown the nest, my mortgage is paid off and both my husband and I are senior in our careers.

At 24 I didn’t have much disposable income at all and pretty much lived ‘hand to mouth’.

mummy2under2

VIP Member
Combined we have about £15,000 left every month but that's before putting money into my kids savings and solicitor fees (ongoing divorce 🤦🏻‍♀️)
Have a company so slightly different to most id imagine.

• Wow
Reactions: 5

mummy2under2

VIP Member
Wow this is depressing. I would love to have my own company but wouldn’t have a clue where to even start!
me too it’s something I've been thinking about for a while, being my own boss just need to figure out what I could be self employed in 😄

you could maybe try going on other forums and read up on how others started.
If you want it, put pen to paper and start working out what you're passionate about and how you can develop that into a money maker.
It doesn't happen over night, it's takes a lot of time and patience is absolutely key but id 100% say you have to love what you do to some degree for you to be successful.

Happy to help or offer advice if I can 😊

midnightrose

VIP Member
Yep, this thread is really depressing!!! Not sure I should have clicked on it. Doesn’t seem fair at all. I understand people work hard, but don’t see why some people need so much money. We struggle, but sometimes can have £300-£500 disposable per month. I work full-time and I’ve just taken on a second job as we are getting married in April.

• Sad

Motherflocker

What a fascinating thread. Those of you that have thousands of disposable income, good on you, I can only assume you have worked bloody hard for it. We have about £1100 disposable income each month, after bills, CM for my husbands daughter, nursery fees etc. We have three children so most the the disposable gets spent on them, I get my nails done fortnightly by a good friend so it’s cheap. My husband is shit with money so at his request I give him money as and when. You wouldn’t believe the rubbish he has bought in the past!

Reactions: 4

Viewer1901

VIP Member
Ahh it's not all roses.
I work around 70/80 hour weeks sometimes, my partner works around the world and I'll be lucky to see him once a week sometimes.
I hardly ever see my children in the week.
It's horrible and we're in the process of making big decisions to either sell or make drastic changes.
All good and well having £15k disposable income but if you can't spend it on anything... Whats the point?
I'd happily swap to £1k left a month to be able to see may family every day.
❤
You have to do what’s right for your family - and hopefully you reach a point where you are happy soon! 🥰

Orange99

I think it depends how you describe disposable- I personally wouldn’t include food/petrol because they are necessities!! And I also budget for other transport (train) food at lunch time (I work in London) so after everything I budget for is paid I have about £900 I try to save £300 but always end up dipping into it. I’m getting better at spending less but I buy mindlessly and have been in a lot of debt in the past with emotional spending.

nobrains

I have £265 disposable income (I only work 2 days a week and put £300 into the house) and my husband has around £500. I used to have £600 before having my son and dropping days and my husband had around £800 but now pays more as I have less money to contribute but we both still want me to have money to enjoy life. Out of my disposable I put £10 a month into my sons savings account and pay the window cleaner £10 but do what I want with the rest (spend it on or with my family,home projects) Gone are the days when I lived at home with my parents and had £900 disposable income lol but we feel fortunate compared to many other people. Can't say this thread is nice to read though,especially when some people probably have more money to save for their children and some people can barely get by. Definitely count my blessings as I know it could change tomorrow.

I’m not suggesting anyone in particular is lying, just wanted to remind people who are feeling shitty about someone’s 2 or 3k disposable income that they could be chatting out of their arse 🤷‍♀️ Not saying they are but there have been so many occasions on here where people are clearly not who they’re claiming to be! I’d just never take what anyone says on here as the gospel because it’s a gossip site full of random unknown individuals
Very true. There’s always someone worst off or someone better off..that’s my moto

Reactions: 3

Marie95

Well reading this thread is like a punch in the stomach. We have absolutely nothing left after bills etc and we have to scrape by every month. Not sure where we’re going wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️😂😂
I'm a lot similar to @Hinchhater1442 where I have no children, no finance car, 0 date nights or holidays at the moment etc. I was renting with my boyfriend from 19 - 23 and I can assure you I had nothing left!!!

Hardly anything! What always interests me the most is what people spend on their food shop a week. I’ve had to cut mine in half as if not I’m always in the red 👎🏻
Yep I’m fascinated about the food shop as I am certain this is where we waste our money. I just don't know what normal would be?! I’m spending about £200 a week on a fam of four one fussy eater and one veggie

Marie95

Not sure if this is already a thread that's been made but was just curious to compare my DI after bills to other people-

I'm 24, and after bills including things like my contact lenses and gym I have £752.50 left, I then put £352.50 into savings to round down my disposable left to £400. Just interested to see if this is average or not! I also don't have children so I am fortunate that this is money just for me, haha..

Viewer1901

VIP Member
Combined we have about £15,000 left every month but that's before putting money into my kids savings and solicitor fees (ongoing divorce 🤦🏻‍♀️)
Have a company so slightly different to most id imagine.
Holy heck that’s more than my partner earns in a year!!! Good for you though!

I’m nowhere near as much as others - currently around £500 a month but that’s because I don’t have to pay bills, rent etc. I try and save a good whack so I’m hoping I don’t have a big shock when I move out but I think I still will 😂

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
Enjoy reading threads like this but hit the unwatch button when people start suggesting posters are lying. So pointless.