Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pearl767

Im not in the UK, I’m in the Middle East. I used to spend a lot as I travelled a lot - now with the closed borders im sat at home wondering when I’ll go to work again, as my salary has effectively halved. Aside from food and toiletries (I live alone) and the odd drawing pad and paints I’ve not really bought anything. This month I’ve put away £2500. It’s made me realise I could live way more frugally and put that towards something much more important.

Reactions: 1

Hinchhater1442

Chatty Member
We are saving so much! Both still working but realising how our spontaneity really cost us. We also had pockets of money put aside for various events this year which have now been cancelled so that’s gone into savings. I’m also working so much over time so quite a bit more left over after bills. Our food shopping has doubled though!

Seem to be buying step daughter a magazine when we do our exercise past the newsagents other streets near a main road cant take her that way on her bike. So the guilt of not going swimming or play centres kicks in so end up saying yes to them and sweets nearly £10 she only comes for 3 days when her mum works but its adding up

bry800

I’m only spending on food and petrol (although I haven’t needed to yet) so everything else is going into my savings. Even with my take home pay being 60% last month, I still managed to save £500 - I usually save about £800-£1000 depending on the month.

As others have said I’ve been spending a lot more on food! I’ve had to shop for my mum and grandma who are both vulnerable which hasn’t helped (my mum has expensive taste! 😂) but I’ve swapped from mainly shopping in Aldi to Tesco, just so I can get everything I need in one go.

I've saved a fair bit due to not having to use childcare and haven't been taking the kids anywhere. Food has gone up a fair bit.

I'm still only just comfortable. I'm usually in the minuses in my bank account right now but I can't say I feel like I'm much richer. I was meant to be paid yesterday but they haven't gotten the furlough money get from gvmnt so we have to wait until mid next week. hopefully it comes in before my bills are due :/
Oh dear that's not a good sign that they havent sorted the money out I'm dreading my pay day on Tuesday then

KerChing

Chatty Member
We are spending loads more - food shop more than double as I’m buying Tesco online/ veg box delivery rather than £100 a week in Aldi. Our bills all remain the same, car insurance, council tax, all still needs to be paid.

I don’t really buy anything before anyway 🤣 We rarely go out as we have kids & no babysitters. We take them to Pizza Express etc but with Tesco freebie vouchers.

Spinidge

VIP Member
I am so missing my take out coffees! Saving a fortune on them, I have been buying almond milk lattes from amazon (£12 for 30!! They are yum and what a saving!), also saving on my daughters travel to/from school and meals at school (approx £120 saving), my own travel as now walking the odd day I need to pop into the office. I have treated myself to some new and very needed clothes though and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty as I have zero spring/summer clothes. My daughter needs new clothes too
Do you have a link to said almond milk lattes please? I'm absolutely desperate for a Starbucks 😉🙏

Bbbbefc9

If you are under 40 and don't need access to the money you have saved, it might be worth opening a LISA. I think they still do them?

I opened one as I don't have a very good private pension.

You can pay in £4,000 each tax year and the Gov put in 25% for what you put in, so if you put in the full £4,000, they put in £1,000.

You can't touch the money without penalty until you are 60. You can pay in till you are 50 then it earns interest only between 50 and 6p and then you can either take it as a lump sum or withdraw as and when while it gains interest or you can continue to pay into it.
I have a help to buy ISA so don’t think I can open a lisa as well as that one. I’m going to slowly put it all into the ISA as am working towards being able to get a house. I think if it’s in the isa it will encourage me not to touch it and waste it on silly things too!!

Paradisefalls

I would say so far mine is about the same.

I am a saver generally though and only really buy things if I have saved up for them - never used to be that way but my dream wedding and honeymoon changed me. 🤣 I didn’t want any debt so changed my habits about 4 years ago - and it was worth every penny saved and lunchtime treat/candle/primark spree sacrificed!

I have noticed groceries are a bit more expensive as we are not shopping in different shops to get the best deals and I also think there are a lot fewer special offers atm as well.

I have saved about £300 per month commuting but spent it on some things for a bit of DIY to keep busy at the weekends 😊

idk2

VIP Member
Im not getting paid at all as first year self employed so even though Ive applied for UC, it'll only just about cover my car payment and immediate bills. Thankfully I do have a lot in savings and live with my parents!!

I am 'saving' on diesel and having a takeaway every lunch time during the work-week (probably a tenner a day) - However I'm the designated shopper in my family so although I get given everyones monetary share of the weekly shop, I always end up spending more than that due to how much we are all eating and cooking! Also bought Sims 4 through some childhood nostalgia only to play it once and never reach for it again :rolleyes: But I think thats been my only purchase of a silly thing. Im sure i'll go back to it if i'm out of a job until September!! (work in a school)