Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
In a month I’ve saved an extra £1500 by only going food shopping and buying nothing else. I can’t believe how much I used to waste daily.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
Our food shopping has gone up. I think it's for lots of reasons, including supermarkets upping their prices.
I've bought new pots and pans, loads of flour, loads of stuff from sous chef for more experimental cooking. Bought lots to keep my daughter entertained (paints, record player, drawing tablet, disney plus). Buying more booze.
Going to reign it in from now on. Don't really need anything else. We are wasting much less though. It's all swings and roundabouts. I can't go out, so spending the money on staying in. I don't work. My husband is working still and is 50/50 home or site. Daughters has online school. So to quell the boredom I am making horrifically elaborate meals. I done a mexican night. I was cooking for five hours, made everything from the corn tacos to the crema from scratch.

Lanie

VIP Member
Does anyone think this money saving will last most of the year? When shops eventually do open I can’t imagine when I will feel comfortable mooching about a busy shopping centre.

Does anyone think this money saving will last most of the year? When shops eventually do open I can’t imagine when I will feel comfortable mooching about a busy shopping centre.
Perhaps this disease is man-made to make us save for our pension pot so the government wont have to pay us.🤣

• Haha

Disneylover

VIP Member
I’ve saved money as working from home so no train fare, also I’m a bugger for getting Starbucks/Costa on the way to work.
Also saving as not going around different shops, just sticking to Tesco and that’s it although my boys are eating me out of house and home so food bill defo gone up plus Tesco have upped their prices I think. I’ve put the money I’ve saved into a different account for the holiday we probably won’t be going on now 😳

grumpycat

VIP Member
I feel like everyone is spending more on the weekly shop, the lack of offers, plus the feel to buy extra ‘incase’ as you can’t just pop to the shops means you’re subconsciously buying a little bit extra?

My husband is doing the shop as I need to isolate as much as poss due to being in work with my vulnerable mum, and he honestly lacks any kind of foresight of deals (bought 4 cans of soup on a 3 can deal 😬) and just follows the list, which is great but he doesn’t look at other options whereas I’d have a quick scan around and I’m way more frugal.

I’m probably the worlds most boring person - the only big thing we are saving is pre-school fees, I’ve not filled up in weeks as I only work down the road. I never buy take out coffee, and we would usually have lunch out on the weekend so that’s about it!

We are spending near double on our shop atm and we’ve spent a bit with b&q as we’ve had the time and weather to crack on with our garden but we’d have done that anyway

Boredofthegram

VIP Member
Coffee is the major one (several costa daily usually) and lunch during work. Weekend we used to get a takeaway and mooch about shops buying candles or stuff for my son. Swimming weekly or cinema and petrol.
But I haven’t really seen that much of a saving yet as my food bill has almost tripled as my son is permanently hungry and he used to have breakfast and lunch at school. I’d like to think my spending habits will change after this but I can’t wait to get back to being able to browse a shop whenever I like and grab a coffee with friends 😂

Prgirl_cesca

VIP Member
We have always lived quite frugally, we rarely go out, mortgage is manageable etc. I got paid today (my 80%) but my bank balance is the highest prior to this it has been for years.

So clearly all my money went on crap I didn't need, laziness buying stuff for lunch and petrol.

Mumdrum

It's a real eye opener on what I and we spend as a family, no school bus fees saves £10 a day, I drive my other child and that's 2 hours a day driving, so time too. My husband works in london, no train fares, he spends a fortune on lunches around £70 a week. I am saving on school lunch money, toys, stationary etc I buy at weekends, make up impulse purchases and meals out and takeaways. My food shop has only gone up slightly as I've made more things from scratch, plus making stuff last. Normally I would think I'm going to Mark's or sainsburys and get kids treats, meal deals etc and spend more on that. My biggest saving has been clothes, for me and kids, I would have normally bought us new stuff for holidays. I think this will change how I shop and spend money going forward, I will be alot more frugal going forward. I spend alot on flowers and plants too, I miss going to the garden centre. I do think the economy will pick up when we get out again as we are all desperate to go shopping 🤞

Titntat

VIP Member
Saving alot on hubby's work lunches. Used to buy breakfast, dinner and drinks every day! (Upto £15 a day) We used go out for tea a couple of times a week.
Our food shops probably at 200ish a week (including personal care and cleaning products).
Were a family of 4 so normally go one once a week for the day, easily spend £100.
Daughters clubs cost about £100 a month.
Hubby's hobbies another £100 a month.
HOWEVER I've just started getting full pay after being on maternity. So I've been abit like TREAT YO SELF. So I've been treating everyone in the house and even the house and garden its self 😂
Me and kids needed summer clothes. Hubby wanted some so why not.
Spent abit on the garden to on toys, a new petrol mower and a leaf blower 🙄.
Still managed to save 1k from my pay. Hubby gets paid in a few days. He currently furloughed so 80% of his basic wage. But he normaly earns double his wage in bonuses.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
In 5 weeks I've spend about £2k less.
I am literally addicted to buying stuff and it's only just hit home now I don't have the option.
Had this exact discussion with hubby last night.

My normal working week -
Buy lunch & dinner out every day.
Multiple daily Starbucks and Joe & The Juice.
Weekends we do something with the kids on both days and eat lunch and dinner out on both days.
New makeup.
Twice weekly blow drys.
Go out/date night every other weekend.
New outfits every weekend.
And that's only me.

Not including the copious amounts of stuff I buy the kids.

I've barely spent a thing the last 5 weeks asides from food and essentials.
I need to seriously rethink what I'm spending money on... My fast fashion habit is disgusting. 🤦🏻‍♀️
You eat out a lot! How are you coping having to cook?

Reactions: 3

Fenella

Chatty Member
I think ours has probably stayed about even.

the cost of my groceries is eye watering but then I realised that that extra money will be accounted for by what I’d usually spend on 2 lots of school dinners probably.

we’ve had more takeaways (just out of boredom and as a way of celebrating things that we’d usually go out for) but again it’ll be balanced out by the not spending on days out and diesel.

I’m feeling too bleh to want to buy clothes or make up at the moment.

but instead I’ve signed up to all sorts of things like Readly and exercise subscriptions to again its odds and evens really.

monga

VIP Member
I have discovered I am addicted to spending money and I cannot tell you how difficult it has been to not go shopping for a new dress for the weekend, or buy a fancy bottle of wine or treat myself to a coffee or homeware.

Is there a shopaholics anonymous? Asking for a friend.
Looks like addiction clinics will be a good investment going forward ...Must let Douglas Bannatyne know ;)

GossBoss

VIP Member
I normally live month by month and can only save a couple of hundred pound a month if I work overtime.
I started working from home 16th March .... I've spent 3 times the amount on food that I normally would but I've also saved 3 times what I normally would too !
Luckily I've still been able to work overtime whilst being out the office (I'm actually loving it !)
The money I've saved is from the following .... Coffee Shops - love them ! No hairdresser appointments and no lash appointments 🙄 No social events, spend alot going out with friends for drinks/lunch/dinner. Petrol ... I filled up on 18th March (had to collect prescription up) and haven't used the car since. Toiletries , apart from the nights I have Zoom parties with friends, I'm using no makeup, hair products (or electric) perfume and I'm doing laundry washing less as I'm not wearing work clothes, social clothes, party clothes etc. It's actually not that bad y'know.
Apart from the being alone and not seeing family or friends irl.

coconochanel

VIP Member

Yes I think it will. I read a article on the Daily Mail where it said when shops open changing room will be closed, you cant try on clothes, only a few in at a time, no seating areas and there will be a one way system. So I bet it will be like the supermarkets where you queue outside and a few go in at a time but TBH I wont be bothered queuing just to look around a clothes shop its enough hassle doing the food shop once a week!

I said to my family I might start buying Christmas presents now (not for kids) because there is NOWAY Im going to stand queuing at Christmas the queue will be sooo long!

Disneylover

VIP Member
Its been eye opening. Nothing been bought apart from food once a week and my online banking transactions are now only a quarter of what they were normally. Can’t believe how much bloody money Ive wasted. Starbucks, meals out every weekend, M&S dine ins. Cinema and my candle addiction etc. Doing a weekly food shop but still popping in and out of Tesco every time I would go past.

Me and hubby have decided we are going to stop all that and when lockdown lifts limit treats to once a month instead of weekly and put all the money we would of saved when earning normally aside. There was something in particular we were going to do in retirement but we said why not bring it forward as If we stop spending like we did we‘ll have it in a few years Instead. We also want to put a extension onto our kitchen. Ive been truly shocked in how much we were spending 😬
I forgot about weekend meals out! Oh and candles, I’m missing buying candles! It’s made me realise how much money we waste in general 😬

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
I saved about £600 in last pay period, this month it's likely to be more as the whole month will be in lockdown. I'm not eating out and not paying for bus tickets to work and no impulse spending on bits and bobs either. I assume my electric bill will increase because I'm now working from home full time.

• Wow

coconochanel

VIP Member
Well I decided to only buy what I needed at the beginning of the year but bloody hell I didn't expect to not be able to treat myself to a Homesense candle now and then! :giggle: I've saved on takeaways and eating out as I used to have a mc Donald's at least once a week and eat out quite a lot. Also where you would pop to the shop for one thing and end up spending £10. Like most people I only do one food shop a week now so that's saving me money. Petrol is another big saving I've only filled up once since lockdown:giggle:

I forgot about weekend meals out! Oh and candles, I’m missing buying candles! It’s made me realise how much money we waste in general 😬
I burnt all my candles so I got desperate and had to buy one from asda.

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
Our spending hasn't changed, other than I've not filled my car up yet because I filled up on the Monday before lockdown Monday then didn't use my car for 3 weeks. Now I'm. Back at work.

Lunches, 2 of us take lunch 5 days a week so that's not changed and 1 has lunch at home anyway so that's not changed.

I'm buying more kindle books, but they are only 99p.

Weve spent £800 on a dining set for outside and £150 on a slip but both of those we had saved up for and would have ordered anyway.

We've spent around £1,000 on tickets for various things this year, so far two of those have postponed to 2021 and 2022.

Weve paid for next year's holiday but that's normal, this year's holiday was paid for last May so waiting on that to be cancelled them we can book 2022 holiday!!

So pretty much the same I think...

I would say so far mine is about the same.

I am a saver generally though and only really buy things if I have saved up for them - never used to be that way but my dream wedding and honeymoon changed me. 🤣 I didn’t want any debt so changed my habits about 4 years ago - and it was worth every penny saved and lunchtime treat/candle/primark spree sacrificed!

I have noticed groceries are a bit more expensive as we are not shopping in different shops to get the best deals and I also think there are a lot fewer special offers atm as well.

I have saved about £300 per month commuting but spent it on some things for a bit of DIY to keep busy at the weekends 😊
get them fast whilst they are this cheap! I have them in a take out cup for added effect 🤣https://www.amazon.co.uk/NESCAFÉ-GO...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Sorry I tagged the wrong post!

Do you have a link to said almond milk lattes please? I'm absolutely desperate for a Starbucks 😉🙏
I just posted the link in my last message I just posted, I tagged the wrong message at first!

Last edited:
  • Heart