How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve lost 10 lbs during lockdown and have 14 to go. I am just calorie counting and trying to do some exercise. I started running again but seem to hate it now so looking for something else that can be done at home!

Reactions: 1
Gaining weight is always seen as the “negative” effect of lockdown but losing can be just as tit 😕

I was doing so well up until October and then it all went to tit :cry: eating nice food is honestly one of the only things I’ve got to look forward to at the weekends now. How can I move away from that mindset?! I’ve only gained a few pounds which I know is nothing but for me it’s a huge deal, I posted here in July and said it takes a lot for me to gain weight so I’m clearly waaay off course with my diet to even gain that much. I know it’s petty I just hate looking at the scale and seeing numbers I haven’t seen since I was “chubby”😖

I was doing so well up until October and then it all went to tit :cry: eating nice food is honestly one of the only things I’ve got to look forward to at the weekends now. How can I move away from that mindset?! I’ve only gained a few pounds which I know is nothing but for me it’s a huge deal, I posted here in July and said it takes a lot for me to gain weight so I’m clearly waaay off course with my diet to even gain that much. I know it’s petty I just hate looking at the scale and seeing numbers I haven’t seen since I was “chubby”😖
I'm the same, a nice takeaway at the weekend is what helps get me through! And sometimes it seems impossible to choose a healthier option.

If it’s only a few lbs it’s probably largely bloat weight and will come off quickly once you sort your diet out. I absolutely bloody love a take away but unfortunately have sworn off stuff like Chinese and Indian for now - Chinese often puts my weight up by 2-3 lbs, which I know is just salt/bloat/etc but takes days to go back down again. Can sometimes be mitigated by downing a load of water alongside but on the whole not worth it!

I am struggling so much and feeling awful about my weight. I think I set myself up for failure. After losing 7 stone over the past couple of years I put about half a stone on after the deaths of my parents. When we went into lockdown I was sure it’d only be for 8-12 weeks at the most and then I’d be jetting off on a far flung holiday so I went a bit stupid really cutting my calories and exercising for a couple of hours today, whilst feeling really jealous of everyone who was making banana bread and ordering pizza.

Then we hit July and the approach of the first anniversary of my mums death, the grief finally hit me after mostly just feeling numb and I’ve been off the rails most of the time since then. I’m now probably about a stone and a half up on the lightest I got down to and just can’t stop eating. My exercise has kind of fallen by the wayside too. I’ve struggled with my eating since I was a teen and I’ve been terrible for binge eating. I’m still in the healthy weight bracket so I know that’s good but I’m the biggest I’ve been since I first lost the weight and I’ve been losing sleep over it, literally. I feel horrible and so uncomfortable in my body 😔 I just keep telling myself I’ll sort it out next year, food feels like the only thing I enjoy at the moment.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I am struggling so much and feeling awful about my weight. I think I set myself up for failure. After losing 7 stone over the past couple of years I put about half a stone on after the deaths of my parents. When we went into lockdown I was sure it’d only be for 8-12 weeks at the most and then I’d be jetting off on a far flung holiday so I went a bit stupid really cutting my calories and exercising for a couple of hours today, whilst feeling really jealous of everyone who was making banana bread and ordering pizza.

Then we hit July and the approach of the first anniversary of my mums death, the grief finally hit me after mostly just feeling numb and I’ve been off the rails most of the time since then. I’m now probably about a stone and a half up on the lightest I got down to and just can’t stop eating. My exercise has kind of fallen by the wayside too. I’ve struggled with my eating since I was a teen and I’ve been terrible for binge eating. I’m still in the healthy weight bracket so I know that’s good but I’m the biggest I’ve been since I first lost the weight and I’ve been losing sleep over it, literally. I feel horrible and so uncomfortable in my body 😔 I just keep telling myself I’ll sort it out next year, food feels like the only thing I enjoy at the moment.
Please don’t be too hard on yourself, it achieves nothing.

You’ve done amazing to lose all that weight and you’ve kept most of it off, especially during those circumstances. Take it easy, you’ve done it before and you’ve got a lot less you want to lose this time.

Please don’t be too hard on yourself, it achieves nothing.

You’ve done amazing to lose all that weight and you’ve kept most of it off, especially during those circumstances. Take it easy, you’ve done it before and you’ve got a lot less you want to lose this time.
Thank you, yep I need to keep reminding myself of that. I definitely don’t think I’d have put so much back on if it hadn’t been for lockdown, it’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one though who has put weight on during all of this. Hopefully next year will feel much better!

Granted, I stopped smoking a couple of years ago so the weight did creep on but this year I’ve been extremely sedentary (mixture of fear of going outside as I’m still at risk and being a lazy arse). I now have a delightful 28lbs to lose. As a former ED sufferer I feel absolutely disgusted with myself and I’ll be honest, I’m wobbling as to how I intend to lose the weight. I hate looking at myself in the mirror right now 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've gained somewhere around 20 lb, so I have no normal clothes that fit and I refuse to look in the mirror. Not lockdown related as much as having been on prednisone and diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Have chronic pain issues and the only exercise I can manage is physical therapy once a week and maybe a 10 min walk if I'm lucky. I think I've been stuck on hating my appearance because it's "easier" to "fix" than deal with underlying illnesses that make me hate my body because it's "broken."

• Sad
I have lost 2 1/2 stones since April with a stone to lose until I am at a ‘healthy’ weight for my height. I loosely track my calories but am careful to not get obsessive. I still eat everything I want - cakes, takeaways, etc. But I am just mindful as to how much I eat and whether I am just bored or emotionally eating (I used to binge eat quite badly during stressful periods). No exercise either.

I think you just have to be in the right mindset, as in you are losing weight for the right reasons and are aware of what timescale is healthy to lose a certain amount. I have to add that I have been overweight my whole life and losing weight hasn’t made me as happy as I thought it would, so don’t stake your whole life on the happiest and most confident version of you also being the skinniest!

• Heart
Granted, I stopped smoking a couple of years ago so the weight did creep on but this year I’ve been extremely sedentary (mixture of fear of going outside as I’m still at risk and being a lazy arse). I now have a delightful 28lbs to lose. As a former ED sufferer I feel absolutely disgusted with myself and I’ll be honest, I’m wobbling as to how I intend to lose the weight. I hate looking at myself in the mirror right now 😢
I feel you. Fellow former ED sufferer disgusted with myself, have lost 10lb since October just focusing on exercise and trying to just eat 3 meals a day no snacks, another 15lbs or so til I’m happy but worried I’ll slip back into my old obsessive ways and almost think I’m better off how I am even though I feel gross 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
I’ve lost 6.5kg with another 6-8ish to go. Mostly achieved through exercise and walking, now focussing on my diet through the winter as walking has become less appealing now the weather has got worse!

I’ve put 10lb on through lockdown.

I’d say I was sorry but I’m not. The snacks have gotten me through a tit year 🤣 I’ll lose it again when I’m in the right headspace and when things go back to normal.

Reactions: 3
I put on maybe 1kg so not much at all. However I have definitely become lazier, less fit, and I'm pretty sure my fat % has increased massively. My face is puffier!

I don't have scales but would imagine I have put on around 10kg, I've been furloughed since April and have become so lazy.. I wish I had used this time to become really in shape like so many people have seemed to, but as other people have said food and snacking is the only thing to look forward to atm

Reactions: 3