Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rosieposie87

Chatty Member
So there’s a friend who I travelled with this summer. When I got back I realised she wasn’t the person I thought she was. I had to do everything planning the trip, and even on the trip itself the itinerary, route planning, basically every logistical detail fell on me. Which I wasn’t even mad about, but her attitude on the trip sucked. She was moany, ungrateful and basically acted like she could’ve happily been anywhere but with me. At a party I found, we walked in and kinda hovered for a few minutes surveying the scene. I asked her if she wanted to get a drink first or hit the dance floor. And she just sighed and said ‘I wish *enter other friends name* was here, she’s so good at dancing and so fun’ and it really hurt. Basically confirmed that she doesn’t rank me highly amongst her friends.

I’m a bit shy and awkward at times I’ll admit. And on the way home from the party we were randomly chatting and doing that thing late at night where the convo gets a bit deeper. And she was like ‘oh I remember you mentioned you might be autistic, have you looked further into that’. This is something I mentioned to her maybe 8-10 years ago, I was floored at her bringing that up randomly. It didn’t sound kind or concerned, more like a judgement tbh. She has a habit of looking at you funny or rolling her eyes at you a lot. I did accept that it could be me projecting insecurities, but when I spoke with a different mutual friend of ours who used to go on nights out with her a lot, she said the same thing. That she has a habit of making people feel small and silly.

The last few days of the trip dragged, we had nothing to talk about and I was dreaming of going home. We said bye at the airport, and I went home and honestly sunk into a bit of a depressive episode (work stress and other personal issues). I never heard from her, a few other friends reached out in concern after not hearing from me but she never did). Then she wished me a happy birthday weeks later and did chip in for a gift card for me. Since then she has messaged me once or twice, but she has basically resurrected an ancient group chat between me, her and another friend - and has been posting loads in there. It almost feels like she’s too cowardly to ask me what’s wrong and is just posting stuff in the group chat that she previously would’ve sent to me directly (before I went cold and quiet on her).

I’ve realised that our whole relationship was me making effort and reaching out and her just taking and taking. For example i helped her find a house to rent with her boyfriend. Like literally found the listing and sent it to her when she couldn’t find anywhere. And she has invited all her other friends over but she never invited me round once. I’ve only been there one time because we were going out somewhere and she needed to run back up to get something. Meanwhile she has spent countless evenings hanging out at mine. Especially when she was going through relationship issues and needed a place to hang out and vent. But again, I never really thought about any of that because I thought she was a fun, decent person. But in close quarters abroad with no buffers or distractions I realised we don’t actually get along that well. It’s very surface level between us.

But this past week she has been texting me a lot. Asking for advice on how to decorate her new place (she has now bought a place with her bf.) And it’s honestly pissing me off. We have barely spoken in months. I give very bland short answers or I don’t respond to her at all. And here she is bothering me for advice on decorating a house (that I will likely never even be invited over to.) It’s like she doesn’t see me as a real person, just someone who provides her with advice or a shoulder to cry on. I don’t have the energy to confront her because I don’t care anymore. In my mind, if I was in her position and a friend stopped talking to me I would either ask them directly if they are okay, or I would take the hint and leave them alone.

Am I being a coward, do I owe her a conversation? Even though she hasn’t actually asked me if anything’s wrong or shown any concern? Or do I continue being distant until she eventually gives up and let’s go? Thanks in advance for any advice given!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Barbie2020

VIP Member
Hi, my best friend ghosted me for no reason and it’s definitely personal cos she’s been lovely with everyone else. I messaged her first god knows how many times and she just started ignoring me. Stopped liking pictures of mine on insta but still been lovely to everyone else etc just really petty things. I was getting so upset seeing her pop up all the time knowing she didn’t want anything to do with me that I blocked her. I know it sounds really harsh but I’d just do that and start a fresh. I blocked a week ago and mentally feel so much better for not having to see her posts pop up.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
As I’ve gotten older and over the years I’ve released quite a few relationships with other people whom I have considered are just not worth it. I put Freddie Mercury “Another Bites The Dust” on loud. Dance, sing and…move on very swiftly. 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I don't dither these days. if people stop talking to me etc without explanation .. off they go into past friendship box

Life is way too short for that shit

• Heart
Reactions: 11

shadowcat5

VIP Member
I don’t think you should be asking if you owe her a conversation, you should be asking if you actually want a conversation.

what she said to you while you were both away about wishing someone else was there is fucking rude and you have said you both don’t really have much in common or get along.

i don’t know either of you or your relationship so I don’t know for sure but it sounds like she’s either very self absorbed and doesn’t think she did anything wrong and wants attention, has a different love language to you and you’re just not compatible as friends, or she feels guilty about the holiday and now wants to make amends without actually apologising or discussing it.

Either way it doesn’t really matter. What do you want out of the situation? Do you want to be friends with her? Do you want to confront her? Is it worth fighting for? Can you let bygones be bygones? Do you want to?

• Heart
Reactions: 10

MabelMae

My best friend has turned to a religion but it’s more like a cult. She completely cut me off, haven’t spoken since August and has ignored my texts since. We are no longer friends on a any social media platforms. Been best friends for over 10 years and it really really hurt. Grieved hard but now coming out the other side of it!

Believe everything happens for a reason!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6

Threeeyedraven

VIP Member
Not sure if this thread is active but thought I’d give it a go 🤷‍♀️
My best friend and I met around 7 years ago at a job. She was part time with a 1 year ago and we instantly clicked. I attended her wedding 6 months later and we’ve basically been inseparable since. The issue (and I hope this doesn’t sound awful, so bear with me) is that she’s an elevenerife person, but with bad things. Your sad? She’s depressed. Your tired? She’s exhausted and can barely keep her eyes open.
She has two kids and has just qualified as a paramedic and sometimes acts as though she is the only person in the world who can be tired and has it worse than anyone. Lots of moaning on FB. I work a high demand job, and I’m renovating a house so I am naturally stressed but she never asks if I’m ok, or checks in. In the last 6 months I have to constantly reach out to see when she’s free, ask if she’s ok, and I never get anything back. She’ll end with “you?” And I answer and a lot of time I just don’t get a reply. It really hurts too when I see her interacting with people on FB but not replying to a text.
I feel pathetic typing this at 29 but it’s exhausting to keep the friendship alive when she doesn’t seem to give anything back. I don’t expect nor want constant chats or seeing each other because I understand she’s busy, but a simple “hey how are you?” Would make a difference but it’s non existent. Idk what to do.

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I wish I was able to approach these situations with this mindset! Instead I find myself getting so concerned over what I might have done wrong, overthinking etc.
I did do that But now I always tell myself if they were a real friend they would tell me and not just ignore me. I now have a great circle of friends and none would do that to me, nor I them

• Heart

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
If someone does me wrong I don't bother telling them why. They know wtf they be doing and they don't deserve closure only thing closure they will get from me is the movement my fist makes as it heads 80mph towards their face if they try make amends further down the line.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

orla1989

I definitely agree with poster above about blocking people on socials… being ignored by someone you tried to reach out to and then seeing all their posts and being lovely to everyone besides you. It’s so hurtful. Social media so fake.

@Barbie2020 I bet you anything, that ex friend you blocked who was ignoring you, noticed within the first hour you blocked her. And was really upset about it! Tough shit is all I say! =D I totally agree with your approach :)

• Heart
Reactions: 5

HaloGirl

VIP Member
Like orla said I wouldn’t block her. Would you feel comfortable bringing up how you feel with your friend? It seems a shame to end the friendship especially if you are a godmother to her son.
If you don’t feel comfortable having the conversation, I would however put less effort and see how she responds.

Reactions: 4

Nat1088

I think friendships have lifespans..there’s only so much effort you can put in when it’s one sided. Sometimes it’s better to cut your losses and let them carry on. I’ve been in a situation where I’d rather not be friends, than only be friends when it’s convenient for them.
it’s hard when you’re in your 30’s and friends that you’ve had nearly your whole life just become strangers for no reason.

rosieposie87

Chatty Member
Thanks Rosie. There was no argument, I gave her plenty of notice - she said it was ok as long as i made it to the hen do (which I did). I just could never cut off a friend for not attending my wedding - people have jobs and lives and financial issues - it seems crazy she’d be so offended.

I’m gonna see how I feel this time next week, if i still want to remove her on socials, then I will. Thanks 🥰
No worries. Yeah she’s definitely taking quite a cowardly route imo. You didn’t do anything to warrant being frozen out. Imo if someone chooses to have a wedding abroad they need to accept that some people won’t be able to make that work.

I can relate with you as I’m not a confrontational person either. Definitely makes sense to sleep on it. But you’d be totally in the right to unfollow, she’s basically ‘unfollowed’ you in an emotional sense by not reaching out to you anymore and not deeming you a close enough friend to tell about her pregnancy. Best of luck to you either way though, it’s hard navigating these kinds of things.

Elle Woods

VIP Member
I don't dither these days. if people stop talking to me etc without explanation .. off they go into past friendship box

Life is way too short for that shit
I wish I was able to approach these situations with this mindset! Instead I find myself getting so concerned over what I might have done wrong, overthinking etc.

• Heart

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. I think it’s genuinely a mix of all three, honestly you’ve summed her up perfectly 😭. I’ve had conversations with her before about saying inconsiderate, hurtful things. Which she would profusely apologise for. Truthfully I don’t want to have a conversation with her again. I just want to let the friendship die. But she won’t get the hint, and it feels awkward to flat out ignore texts from someone. Especially as we’ve been friends for over 10 years.

I’m worried that it’s cowardly and harsh to basically ghost her. If it were me and I hurt and disappointed a friend enough to want to cut ties with me, I’d want to know. But also if it were me I would reach out to the friend giving me the cold shoulder and ask them what was up. If they explained themselves and said they’re not happy with the friendship, or if they just continued giving me the cold shoulder I’d move on. It’d hurt but it’s life. But because she’s doing this weird thing where she pretends everything is fine, I don’t know how to proceed basically :/
youre obviously a good friend and have a lot of integrity to want to explain to her. She sounds a lot like a friend I had. It had been years of her putting everyone down to make herself feel better. sometimes I’d be scared to express an opinion around her cause she’d be so rude and belittling if she didn’t agree. The straw that broke the camels back was a nasty comment she made while we were on holiday together when I was excited about what was going on in the hotel that night. I told her that she upset me when I got home (although she maintains I didn’t). She replied that she knew that she’d upset me but made no attempt at an apology and had no remorse. I ghosted her. Harsh but there wasn’t an alternative imo. I gave her the opportunity to make amends and she chose not to. I literally just wouldn’t reply to her. She played the victim as always and our group discussed how awkward it was but I honestly didn’t care. I was sick of her bullshit and didn’t want anything to do with her. She did stop bothering eventually but she would lick my arse when we were together 😂
She’s still a dick.

You don’t want to be friends with her so you’ve got 4 options:

carry on as normal but go against yourself and your wants

ghost her

air your issues with her and then end the friendship

bluntly reply until she stops bothering

What does your gut say?

helplol

Wait, just to clarify. You told her you couldn’t attend her wedding, what was the conversation after that? Was she angry/upset and did you have an argument over it? Or did she just accept it without comment and then subsequently went cold on you?

It sounds like she’s doing a ‘slow freeze’ from what you’re saying. Ofcourse I don’t know her, but it seems like in her mind you not attending her wedding meant you’re not her true friend. So she’s relegated you to the role of casual acquaintance.

I don’t think you’d be wrong to unfollow her at all. Your current dynamic sounds hurtful and confusing. So the ball is basically in your court now. It’s up to you to either confront her about the weirdness and distance or to take her cue and just fully disengage from her.
Thanks Rosie. There was no argument, I gave her plenty of notice - she said it was ok as long as i made it to the hen do (which I did). I just could never cut off a friend for not attending my wedding - people have jobs and lives and financial issues - it seems crazy she’d be so offended.

I’m gonna see how I feel this time next week, if i still want to remove her on socials, then I will. Thanks 🥰

helplol

Hi guys. My ex-best friend has cut me off because I didn’t attend her wedding. (It was abroad and I couldn't get time off work).

I text her on her wedding day to say congrats! You look amazing! And she replied saying thanks, etc. Few months later she opens a business so I text her saying congrats! Good luck with it. She replied saying thanks.

Aside from that, we havent contacted eachother.

Ive just found out through another friend that she is pregnant. I’m upset that she didnt text me to tell me but what can i do. As petty as it sounds, i’m not gonna text her to say congrats but when the inevitable facebook post is up i will obviously like it! It really annoys/upsets me that she’s cut me off like this and I feel so guilty for not going to the wedding but am kinda sick of it being treated as a cardinal sin and for me to be punished for it.

What i’m most worried about is the insta and facebook content coming up. She posts very regularly and its gonna be hard to ignore these posts.

I just want to unfollow her on insta because it will be too much!! I feel very rejected lol. Im not a confrontational person (last person I fell out with was in year 7 lol!).. so the thought of unfollowing someone seems really harsh, but Im sick of being treated as some TERRIBLE person for not attending a wedding.

Am i being ridiculous for feeling this way?

Reactions: 3

Probablylurking66

I hope it's okay if I revive this thread again, wasn't sure where else to put this. Hopefully this doesn't actually turn into a friendship breakdown but who knows at this point.

Basically I was in talks with one of my close friends about her moving in to my flat, but I changed my mind about it and said because I love her so much I wouldn't want to risk our friendship if something went wrong, and she said she was hurt and disappointed but that it was fine (she said it was fine three times so it's definitely Not Fine), and hasn't spoken to me since apart from when she replied to my Happy Easter message, and today she unfollowed me on Twitter and removed me as a follower. I was giving her space and hoping she'd be okay after a while and we'd go back to normal, but apparently not. I don't know what to do. She made out she was absolutely fine with whatever was decided about her moving in, but of course people can't just say what they really feel...how ironic that my attempt to save our friendship might have destroyed it. I wish I'd never brought up the idea of her moving, but there's nothing I can do about it now and unfortunately I'm a very indecisive person, which meant I was torn about what to do and gave her that false hope and ended up hurting her. I really don't want to lose her as a friend but this to me tells me that she's sort of done with me 😔

• Heart

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
If someone does me wrong I don't bother telling them why. They know wtf they be doing and they don't deserve closure only thing closure they will get from me is the movement my fist makes as it heads 80mph towards their face if they try make amends further down the line.
this is how my mindset works 😌 some people know what they’ve done wrong just like acting like they don’t .

• Heart

Threeeyedraven

VIP Member
I’ve just come across this thread and seen your post, this is so accurate for my life right now. Met my ‘best friend’ about 2 years ago. We were inseparable but lately, actually this year she’s been really distant and never checks in with me. Whenever I say what’s going on in my life she doesn’t respond. I am over the half assed effort. I don’t tell her anything anymore because I know I won’t get a reply. It’s ridiculous. I am not even going to bother voicing my issues with her either as I know it’ll be my fault and never hers or that she’s struggling like she ALWAYS is but then you see her out and about and commenting on other peoples posts so are you struggling or you really just can’t be bothered with me anymore.

I hope since you wrote the post in jan things have gotten better with the friendship or you’ve cut ties and moved on and you’ve met a better friend now 😊
Ah I’m sorry to hear you’ve been through the same! Feels so silly at 30 to be dealing with friend drama but here we are!

it hasn’t gotten better, in fact she’s now posting about her brand new bff and her “favourite person ever” while actively ignoring my messages 😂 I’m over it now, I don’t want to make it aggressive or argue because my godson is very important to me & it isn’t his fault so I don’t want to risk being cut out completely. The funny thing is, when we first became friends she’s complain about her bestie and how she’d lost them and now I realise that she is the problem if it’s a recurring thing