House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Weve been trying to book viewings for months and as yet have not managed to actually view a single house with a view to buy. Suddenly over the past 2 weeks alot of these houses are back available on the market as sales have fallen through. I refuse now to entertain the estate agents offering the viewings as I am very much of the mindset we wasnt good enough in the first place so our money isnt good enough now. But it does seem that now things are slowing down. Not only are houses back on the market but they are being reduced in price in our area too. All very positive I'd say So we are going to hold out for a couple of months in the hope something comes along that we love and can hopefully get a viewing on.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I refuse now to entertain the estate agents offering the viewings as I am very much of the mindset we wasnt good enough in the first place so our money isnt good enough now.
I don't blame you, I'd do the same!

There's not really long left until 1st October when stamp duty changes end. Unless things move very quickly offers accepted now won't go through in time.

The Halifax house price index fell 0.5% last month, if things continue to fall then loads will put off until next year.

Although a 10% fall will only bring us back to pre covid bubble levels which could have been largely avoided by not stoking it with the stamp duty cut in the first place!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Houses around here still flying off the market for 20% over asking within a few days of going live. Our stamp duty cut ended a while ago now in Scotland.

Im still waiting 🙈😂 looks like I will be for a while.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Houses around here still flying off the market for 20% over asking within a few days of going live. Our stamp duty cut ended a while ago now in Scotland.

Same here. They are selling 2 bedrooms apartments for 575k here. 100k more than last year and people are actually buying them 🤡

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Wow that sounds crazy, that's not happening in SE England.

Don't people have to put down a deposit in Scotland to secure it? So these offers accepted actually mean something?

Reactions: 1
I didnt have to put a deposit down to secure my current house but your offer is legally binding as far as I know but in the current climate I cant see anyone taking you to court if you drop out as there are so many people queueing up behind you.

We actually only got our current house as the highest bidder dropped out and we were next in line. Here though your offer is accepted and thats it or it goes to sealed/closed bids. So slightly different to England where it can see saw back and forward pushing the price up and up.

So its hard to say if 20% over is reasonable or people are panic bidding because they know 20 people have viewed the house and 9 have put in notes of interest.

I wonder if people with remote working are moving here for more property for your money / more access to green spaces etc.

The properties I've rented from a property managers have typically been of lower quality but require less hassle.

The properties I've rented let-only from the landlords are of better quality but come with the additional stress of dealing with the landlords directly, which is very annoying and causes problems because their personal life and feelings get included with a professional matter.
Oh interesting! My experience differs - the quality has been much the same. But you're totally right, its the personal life and feelings which create issues. 😅

Reactions: 1
So its hard to say if 20% over is reasonable or people are panic bidding because they know 20 people have viewed the house and 9 have put in notes of interest.

I wonder if people with remote working are moving here for more property for your money / more access to green spaces etc.
It’s a really odd situation. I don’t think the value of houses are changing that much, it’s just that the market is so competitive that people are way overpaying. Which is a huge concern in itself.

My friend has just bought a flat as a first time buyer, luckily she went to view it and the owner said, if you offer this today I’ll take it and it’s yours so she didn’t have to offer a ridiculous amount, but we both know of so many people who have been outbid lately with people offering way over the asking price.

My neighbour had her house valued the other day with a view for putting it up for sale and I’m really curious to see what it goes for. The house on the other side of me (I’m a mid-terrace) went for quite a bit over asking in December.

Estate Agents are essentially just massive chancers (mostly - no offense to any EAs here!!).

It stresses me out to think buyers are being forced into a frenzy that is largely all hype and government bullshit, increased by people being desperate to move because of being cooped up for 18 months.

To be honest, I don’t think our own property we bought during the pandemic was a steal! I think it was on the higher side of fair, although I could never regret it for various reasons (basically moving has been life-changing). I see houses in our area going on RightMove now for the same or even more than we paid, and they’re worse houses - either far smaller or similar size but in need of total reno. I’m gobsmacked!

Then again, as I’ve mentioned before, we get EA leaflets, letters and personal letters through the door everyday asking if we’re selling. We’ve had people hang around outside, we’ve even had an Estate Agent try to organise a “street valuation party”. It’s total madness. The desperation terrifies me.

Reactions: 7
Estate Agents are essentially just massive chancers (mostly - no offense to any EAs here!!).

It stresses me out to think buyers are being forced into a frenzy that is largely all hype and government bullshit, increased by people being desperate to move because of being cooped up for 18 months.

To be honest, I don’t think our own property we bought during the pandemic was a steal! I think it was on the higher side of fair, although I could never regret it for various reasons (basically moving has been life-changing). I see houses in our area going on RightMove now for the same or even more than we paid, and they’re worse houses - either far smaller or similar size but in need of total reno. I’m gobsmacked!

Then again, as I’ve mentioned before, we get EA leaflets, letters and personal letters through the door everyday asking if we’re selling. We’ve had people hang around outside, we’ve even had an Estate Agent try to organise a “street valuation party”. It’s total madness. The desperation terrifies me.
We’ve even had a letter from Location Location Location asking if we’d consider selling as there are so few properties on the market abs the buyers are willing to pay for the right house, whatever that means

• Wow
we’ve even had an Estate Agent try to organise a “street valuation party”
😂 omg they’ve truly tried it all now

Although ngl if you’d get to go nose around other people’s houses (obviously pre covid) I’d love it. I love when I see a for sale sign go up* I’m straight on right move seeing what they’ve done with the place!

*unless it’s an elderly person’s home then I’m like ffs that’ll be sold to some head LL won’t it

Reactions: 13

I’m looking to buy in Edinburgh atm and it’s mad!

The market is apparently slowing down but it doesn’t feel like it.

I’m looking to buy in Edinburgh atm and it’s mad!

The market is apparently slowing down but it doesn’t feel like it.
Im Glasgow and it really is wild. Ive decided just to stay put for now and save the money because I cant face the bun fight to get a house.

A house around the corner from me went on the market last week and its been like a party every day when Ive gone by with viewers. So many cars.

I dont want to pay 20% over what a house is worth. Itl reduce my LTV which then means the rates arent as good. If I need to stay in the house Im in then so be it. Il be mortgage free quicker.

Reactions: 6
Went to view a house today which I like but my parents are away I just wish they were here to come with me

• Heart
Home renovation project two doors down to me has been ordered to stop by the council and fire brigade. Firstly the new owner (to be landlord) was using a bunch of cowboy builders that have damaged the houses on both sides and fucked the structure so badly it was deemed unsafe. The pavement in front is cordoned off with police tape 😂

Secondly they were trying to turn a small 3 bedroom house into THREE FLATS which they were explicitly denied permission for and went ahead with anyway. 3 bleeping flats. How greedy can you be

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I’m hating this trend of turning family homes into multiple flats. It’s unbelievably greedy and really doesn’t help the housing price/supply situation.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Just received a flyer in the post saying how sellers are disappointed nothing is on the market and have we considered selling our house….. what a compelling argument for uprooting our lives and spending thousands and thousands of pounds, thanks hun x

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Just received a flyer in the post saying how sellers are disappointed nothing is on the market and have we considered selling our house….. what a compelling argument for uprooting our lives and spending thousands and thousands of pounds, thanks hun x
Yeah we get these. It’s insane. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but a local estate agent tried to organise a “street valuation party”, whatever that’s supposed to be. I don’t think anyone signed up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Where would they expect you to move to, if you did sell?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
We get them all the time, apparently they always have someone lined up! Houses in our road are sought after but people don’t tend to move out often.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.