House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got called by the estate agent who sold us the house just over a year ago, asking if we wanted to move again as they had people interested in the house….err no you’re ok 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
We get them all the time, apparently they always have someone lined up! Houses in our road are sought after but people don’t tend to move out often.
We’re in the same situation, the only way a house becomes available is if someone dies. Which is why we tend to never get these leaflets, we get stupid retirement based scams instead so equity release or moving to one of those communities?

I hope this isn’t inconsiderate but I do wonder why some elderly stay in these houses when they could move out to a smaller flat or one of those over priced communities and have a much better quality of life? A house a few doors down has a really overgrown front garden, her adult kids barely visit beyond the mandatory “stay in your will” trip once every few months, and the whole house could just do with an overhaul. What’s the point in staying? You’re living in an expensive house but are so cash poor you can’t get a gardener round…? It’s bizarre to me. Obviously very dependent on circumstances, my OAP friend is like a socialite and has kids, grand kids, great grandkids visiting all the while and maintains a decent QoL even as a pensioner.

Reactions: 5
I dont know what it's like outside of where we are but in my town there is plenty of available houses, it's just that they are in such run down areas where drug use is sky high, derelict areas full of fly tipped rubbish and generally litter strewn everywhere that you just don't want to buy because you know you'll never be happy there or be able to sell on in future.
Theres also a lot of houses in states of such poor repair, local scum have ripped out lead and generally just destroyed the house or it's simply been left to rot. And it's such a shame that these cant be forced to be sold instead of letting them sit there empty for 20 years. If you cannot afford to or have no desire to maintain a house then the council should have the power to force you to sell so that it can be done up and lived in by someone who will look after it in my opinion.
We had a meeting with a mortgage broker yesterday and found out that we could have x amount. It was slightly more than I would like to pay out for a house to be honest but at least things are moving along finally and we seem to be making some progress. It been an eye opener how long everything seems to take I thought it would be more straight forward.
Also already seeing more and more houses being put back up for sale that we was refused a viewing on because sales have fallen through.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We’re in the same situation, the only way a house becomes available is if someone dies. Which is why we tend to never get these leaflets, we get stupid retirement based scams instead so equity release or moving to one of those communities?

I hope this isn’t inconsiderate but I do wonder why some elderly stay in these houses when they could move out to a smaller flat or one of those over priced communities and have a much better quality of life? A house a few doors down has a really overgrown front garden, her adult kids barely visit beyond the mandatory “stay in your will” trip once every few months, and the whole house could just do with an overhaul. What’s the point in staying? You’re living in an expensive house but are so cash poor you can’t get a gardener round…? It’s bizarre to me. Obviously very dependent on circumstances, my OAP friend is like a socialite and has kids, grand kids, great grandkids visiting all the while and maintains a decent QoL even as a pensioner.
Maybe it's just because there's comfort in the familiar rather then the possible unknown? I moved from one floor onto another in the same building and still found that was still a hassle. If you lived on your own with no visitors you'd still be on your own with no visitors just in a new area and it makes less of a difference. Maybe with the garden she wants to recreate a natural ecosystem!

Reactions: 2
I got called by the estate agent who sold us the house just over a year ago, asking if we wanted to move again as they had people interested in the house….err no you’re ok 😂
As if you’d move house so soon based on a phone call like that 😂!!!

Although I know of someone that had a knock on their door from an elderly lady that said can I buy your house I’ll offer you over asking price as it’s my childhood home. Ended up getting £40k above value and the old lady was buzzing. Win win!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I dont know what it's like outside of where we are but in my town there is plenty of available houses, it's just that they are in such run down areas where drug use is sky high, derelict areas full of fly tipped rubbish and generally litter strewn everywhere that you just don't want to buy because you know you'll never be happy there or be able to sell on in future.
Theres also a lot of houses in states of such poor repair, local scum have ripped out lead and generally just destroyed the house or it's simply been left to rot. And it's such a shame that these cant be forced to be sold instead of letting them sit there empty for 20 years. If you cannot afford to or have no desire to maintain a house then the council should have the power to force you to sell so that it can be done up and lived in by someone who will look after it in my opinion.
We had a meeting with a mortgage broker yesterday and found out that we could have x amount. It was slightly more than I would like to pay out for a house to be honest but at least things are moving along finally and we seem to be making some progress. It been an eye opener how long everything seems to take I thought it would be more straight forward.
Also already seeing more and more houses being put back up for sale that we was refused a viewing on because sales have fallen through.
Where I live landlords/owners leave houses empty they are charged additional council tax as punishment.

Where I live landlords/owners leave houses empty they are charged additional council tax as punishment.
Its criminal how some of the beautiful homes are allowed to just be left to decay or get vandalised beyond repair.

Reactions: 8
I stayed with some family a couple if weeks ago and the man of the house, a totally insufferable boomer of the worst kind, frequently told me how "the house is our pension" and even tried to tell me that occupational pensions aren't worth having (he lost that argument seeing as I work in pensions so had a come back for every one of his pathetic little arguements).
I suppose it’s because defined benefit pensions have had such a bad press after the Arcadia, and other, scandals that now these people are using it to cover their historic inability to save money. I worry about my pension - I’m not paid enough to make chunky contributions!

Reactions: 4
Maybe with the garden she wants to recreate a natural ecosystem!
We had a bee garden but hers is just overgrown lol, huge bushes coming out onto the pavement or big enough that they’re now touching the neighbour’s car! It probably is good for the bees but I always just think bleeping hell you’d sooner go move into one of these OAP developments where they do classes and socials every day, plus they all probably spend all day romancing and/or shagging, rather than being in some miso delapidated house so you can leave your kids who cba to visit windfall sums 🤷🏻‍♀️

I get so offended at those leaflets that ask you to sell. We’ve even had handwritten notes through the door from some estate agents, I hate it. It’s so beggy. Im a tenant, of course I don’t want my landlord to sell, please don’t encourage him or I could lose my home????

Begging people to sell their homes should be banned imo.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I get so offended at those leaflets that ask you to sell. We’ve even had handwritten notes through the door from some estate agents, I hate it. It’s so beggy. Im a tenant, of course I don’t want my landlord to sell, please don’t encourage him or I could lose my home????

Begging people to sell their homes should be banned imo.
I don’t believe it was a direct result of those stupid leaflets but we started getting them all the frigging time in our old flat, then lo and behold our landlord told us he was selling. We always get them at our new flat which is in quite a high demand area, and our rent has already gone up after one year. Competition is crazy. I don’t care what people say, renting is not a stable and secure way to live! Honestly every email or phonecall I get from my landlord I assume it’s him contacting me to say we have 2 months to leave ☹ I could absolutely never settle down and have a pet or a baby in a rented place! I don’t have the nerves for it!

• Sad
I've been getting those "properties needed for buyers asap" flyers since things started to slow down and more stuff went back for sale 🤷‍♀️

I saw something I quite liked, then realised the flood risk per year was 0.1-1%. Which while it's very low we keep seeing places that have a "1 in 100 years" risk of flooding every couple of years. Too much of a gamble for me, I'd panic every time it rains and all it needs is a sudden localised downpoor and you'll need to evacuate and your home won't be insurable. Sky news were saying today 1 in 5 homes in the UK are potentially at risk of a flood 😳

• Wow
If something is ‘over over’ does anyone have and advice of how much over to offer? I don’t know if it’s worth viewing as my limit is only 5k over really I could go ever so slightly over that

Reactions: 1
If something is ‘over over’ does anyone have and advice of how much over to offer? I don’t know if it’s worth viewing as my limit is only 5k over really I could go ever so slightly over that
Honestly I would view the place if you like it and then make an offer accordingly. Even in these crazy times, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I’m currently in the process of buying a house which was offers in excess of a price. We saw it and offered under. Eventually we had to offer asking price which was accepted.

You may have other things on your side that are worth as much as extra money to some sellers - a short or no chain, a willingness to move at speed or wait for the sellers pace. Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly I would view the place if you like it and then make an offer accordingly. Even in these crazy times, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I’m currently in the process of buying a house which was offers in excess of a price. We saw it and offered under. Eventually we had to offer asking price which was accepted.

You may have other things on your aside that are worth as much as extra money to some sellers - a short or no chain, a willingness to move at speed or wait for the sellers pace. Good luck!
I phoned to book a viewing but they said they had a few offers quite a bit over the asking so I just left it. I’m not in a rush so 🤷‍♀️ And I put an offer one one yesterday at the asking price but the sellers are waiting a few days to let others view before they decide

I phoned to book a viewing but they said they had a few offers quite a bit over the asking so I just left it. I’m not in a rush so 🤷‍♀️ And I put an offer one one yesterday at the asking price but the sellers are waiting a few days to let others view before they decide
Be aware that they’ll say that to make people think they have to bid more than they’re comfortable with. I’d view anyway. If you like it put your bid in, let them know your circumstances and leave it there. Never be put off by what an estate agent in a shiny suit says to you…they want the highest price for the highest commission

Reactions: 10
Be aware that they’ll say that to make people think they have to bid more than they’re comfortable with. I’d view anyway. If you like it put your bid in, let them know your circumstances and leave it there. Never be put off by what an estate agent in a shiny suit says to you…they want the highest price for the highest commission
True, but I did expect it to have a lot of interest anyway so I do believe it does have offers and because I can’t go much higher than what they want over I don’t think I’ll both.

Just received a flyer in the post saying how sellers are disappointed nothing is on the market and have we considered selling our house….. what a compelling argument for uprooting our lives and spending thousands and thousands of pounds, thanks hun x
We get these all the time, we got the first one 3 weeks after we completed on our new build. Obviously we don’t want to sell it it was only finished being built last month 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I suppose it’s because defined benefit pensions have had such a bad press after the Arcadia, and other, scandals that now these people are using it to cover their historic inability to save money. I worry about my pension - I’m not paid enough to make chunky contributions!
Same over here. I worry a lot about my pension. Which is why I want to buy next year. Just knowing that my mortgage will be lower than my rent makes a huge difference financially.

Thankfully I work from home, so I can live anywhere.

Hello fellow house price complainers, I've come to join in 😂 We are literally giving up on trying to buy for another year or so because where we are, paying 10% over is considered getting a good deal - so duck this.

I live somewhere that more affluent people from elsewhere now want to come and live after all this pandemic nonsense and working from home, and it's making it totally unaffordable for those of us who actually normally live here:mad:

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.