House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
UK fertility rate is below replacement also now. Wonder why no one is having kids when you have to ask permission from your boomer landlord to have a child live in the house. Society is absolutely fucked, so good luck in the future when when have 20m working people looking after 40m over 60s.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

Yel

good luck in the future when when have 20m working people looking after 40m over 60s.
I do laugh when people in their 30's talk of retiring in their 60's and living off of the state pension. That's something that should have been pegged to life expectancy many years ago, it really can't go on for that much longer giving a state pension for 20-30 years.

Reactions: 7
Thats what restructures and redundancies are for. No employer will keep paying staff for a job that isn't needed. Local authorities do it all the time.
Not true in my experience, outside of small companies. I know of a few women in admin level roles in (retail) banking & construction getting the chop. I completely agree that in technical roles outsourcing has never worked, it’s actually incredibly difficult to hire into technical roles as it is ime there’s a shocking skills shortage.

Reactions: 2
I do laugh when people in their 30's talk of retiring in their 60's and living off of the state pension. That's something that should have been pegged to life expectancy many years ago, it really can't go on for that much longer giving a state pension for 20-30 years.
I was told for years that the state pension won't even be a thing when I retire. There is no excuse now with workplace pensions, you can pay a tiny percentage. My job is pretty dull but the pension is the reason most of us stay.

Reactions: 7
UK fertility rate is below replacement also now. Wonder why no one is having kids when you have to ask permission from your boomer landlord to have a child live in the house. Society is absolutely fucked, so good luck in the future when when have 20m working people looking after 40m over 60s.
Since when do you have to ask permission to have a child in a rental? Pets maybe, but not kids!

Reactions: 3
I don’t think it’s super common but since there are landlords out there who try to get their tenants to shag them in exchange for payment anything is possible.

Reactions: 6
I've definitely heard of it, who knows how prevalent it actually is.

Refusing to rent to people with children is not the same as requiring permission for someone to have a child while already in the rental. They cannot kick you out because you have a baby.

Reactions: 4

Yel

I do think lots forget what happened last time after 2008 to house prices which this graph does show quite well

House prices dipped 0.5% in June as the stamp duty holiday began to be phased out, according to the Halifax.
Prices rose 8.8% over the year, leaving average prices still more than £21,000 higher, following a broadly unprecedented period of gains.
The lender said it was "important to put such a moderate decrease in context."

_119295438_optimised-houseprice-nc.png

Reactions: 1
Yeah exactly - I’ve always worked off the assumption that the state pension won’t exist when I reach traditional retirement age, or at least retirement age will be pushed back by a good 10 years.

Re: birth rate going down, I think there are multiple factors at play, but a major one is definitely the cost of living and the cost of children in particular.

Reactions: 11
Since when do you have to ask permission to have a child in a rental? Pets maybe, but not kids!
I'm genuinely not sure what would happen if I had a baby with a joint custody arrangement whilst living in a shared house. Not that I would want to live in a shared house with a kid but what would happen in that situation if you needed to look after a baby for a few days a week for some reason?

I'm genuinely not sure what would happen if I had a baby with a joint custody arrangement whilst living in a shared house. Not that I would want to live in a shared house with a kid but what would happen in that situation if you needed to look after a baby for a few days a week for some reason?
Legally nothing, as you cannot be evicted for having a child if already in a secure tenancy, you can however be rejected for having a child before starting to rent the property. There is also nothing to stop the landlord serving notice (within the terms of the lease) should they discover you have had a child as it can be served with no reason.

I do think lots forget what happened last time after 2008 to house prices which this graph does show quite well

House prices dipped 0.5% in June as the stamp duty holiday began to be phased out, according to the Halifax.
Prices rose 8.8% over the year, leaving average prices still more than £21,000 higher, following a broadly unprecedented period of gains.
The lender said it was "important to put such a moderate decrease in context."

View attachment 653216
The prices will probably ease off as stamp duty is a big chunk of money. I can't see the prices massively dropping, a lot of higher earners will stay working from home and will have more disposable income from not having to commute. My husbands family are all well off, 40 year olds living in million pound houses with kids in private schools. We're the black sheep and I don't consider myself poor.

• Heart

Yel

I can't see the prices massively dropping
That is what they always say, and said back in 2008-9 just before they started falling double digits.

Most people who were going to buy have by now, I can see demand falling off a cliff as mortgage applications fall.

That is what they always say, and said back in 2008-9 just before they started falling double digits.

Most people who were going to buy have by now, I can see demand falling off a cliff as mortgage applications fall.
I remember when the criteria for mortgages changed after 2012. You no longer needed to just be able to afford it, the banks stress tested you incase the interest rates shot up to 7%. The amount of people refused a mortgage was crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Yeah exactly - I’ve always worked off the assumption that the state pension won’t exist when I reach traditional retirement age, or at least retirement age will be pushed back by a good 10 years.

Re: birth rate going down, I think there are multiple factors at play, but a major one is definitely the cost of living and the cost of children in particular.
Yep, the cost of living is too high for any person to reproduce safely at least. Young people are too busy trying to survive in apartments that they share with complete strangers. Let's not ignore the fact that salaries are also not increasing. So currently there is no logical reason to have kids without going straight to poverty.

Retirement funds will probably be empty when governments realise that there isn't enough young people to fund them. So by the time we reach 60 we'll receive peanuts.

If governments do not push property prices back to a healthy level they will deal with low birth rates, an insane homeless population and increasing poverty. Cities such as Los Angeles and Hong Kong already reached insanity.

Reactions: 5
My husband grew up in the care system and once he was finished school at 18 he was on his own, no parents to give him a leg up or let him live cheaply at home while saving for a deposit. He had excellent grades despite having no stability growing up but interviews weren’t too forthcoming when they noticed his address was a bedsit in a “rough” area. He turns 40 this year and it has taken this long for him to work his way up to being in a stable, decent paying job. Perhaps he should’ve prioritised more 🙄

We save what we can but I can tell you it’ll be 10s of 1000s of sacrificed Starbucks before we can afford a deposit.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yep, the cost of living is too high for any person to reproduce safely at least. Young people are too busy trying to survive in apartments that they share with complete strangers. Let's not ignore the fact that salaries are also not increasing. So currently there is no logical reason to have kids without going straight to poverty.

Retirement funds will probably be empty when governments realise that there isn't enough young people to fund them. So by the time we reach 60 we'll receive peanuts.

If governments do not push property prices back to a healthy level they will deal with low birth rates, an insane homeless population and increasing poverty. Cities such as Los Angeles and Hong Kong already reached insanity.
How would a government push prices back? If somebody is willing to pay silly money for a house then that's what it would sell for. The market often moves up and down. Cheaper areas will go up too and full time WFH can move anywhere they want too. My home town is full of young London families all looking to renovate and settle with young kids. I had to move from there as its so expensive.

My husband grew up in the care system and once he was finished school at 18 he was on his own, no parents to give him a leg up or let him live cheaply at home while saving for a deposit. He had excellent grades despite having no stability growing up but interviews weren’t too forthcoming when they noticed his address was a bedsit in a “rough” area. He turns 40 this year and it has taken this long for him to work his way up to being in a stable, decent paying job. Perhaps he should’ve prioritised more 🙄

We save what we can but I can tell you it’ll be 10s of 1000s of sacrificed Starbucks before we can afford a deposit.
My partner also grew up in the care system. He struggles to hold down jobs for longer than a couple of months which obviously doesn't look good to employers. He's 35 and recently found that working a pattern of seasonal jobs works for him - however the pandemic has thrown some spanners in the works for that too.

It's so easy for people to tell you to prioritise when they don't know your situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.