House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What about those people that are in low paid jobs and their wage just about covers their essential bills? Should they prioritise saving for a house over feeding their children?

You are being ignorant to the circumstances of others.
I’m not at all. I said from the start in general, obviously my point doesn’t apply to all. Again people will make it personal and say what about xyz.

My point was for a lot of people they spend far more than they need to for lots of things (phones, holidays, nights out, takeaways, pub, car, clothes).

Those are the people I was talking about

To many lazy fuckers these days, if only they didn't spend £20 a month for a phone that was their internet, computer, camera, calendar etc and didn't go on holiday once a year for a few hundred then they could buy a house that's gone up hundreds of thousands in recent years. 🙄

This luxury argument is a load of tit. These things have become so cheap while the essentials like a home have spiralled out of control.

I'm off to watch homes under the hammer, soon I'll remortgage to buy a few more properties and I'll never have to work again! I'll get some renter scum to people farm 🤑
I wish my phone was £20. I pay for four mobile phone contracts, over £100 a month.

Yel

It's getting grim, blaming people and telling them they're a failure and it's their own fault they can't buy (read sign up for a few decades of debt) a home that has gone up many multiples while wages have stagnated.

Society seems programmed to say renters are not succeeding in life.

You have to be exceptional or have help to get something very ordinary these days. Having a parents home you can live in rent free while you live like someone in a developing country is not an option for many. Nore is it something to celebrate. It gets as stupid as the numpties that tell unemployed people that all they need to do is get a bike and travel 20 miles a day and then they'd have a job.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
The fact that people still believe that poor people should not be allowed to have a good phone, one holiday a year and new clothes at least once is absolutely appalling. Are poor people supposed to never be able to take a break from poverty and have the worst things because they are born poor?

Poverty is not a choice and poor people should have the right to enjoy life too. The few hundreds that they spend on a phone or a holiday doesn't come close to what they could save when house prices went up 91% in 8 years (these are real figures in Ireland) but their salaries didn't. Why are poor people supposed to suffer in silence when they simply want to buy a roof over their head?

The fact that some people in this thread are trying to justify the greed of a few at the cost of a basic need for humanity reeks of privilege and an absolute if not total lack of empathy.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
are these 4 contracts for other people?
My children are at uni. The eldest has finished and is interviewing for jobs, he pays for everything else but we pay for his phone, same with my daughter. Once they're working full time they'll be paying for them.

The fact that people still believe that poor people should not be allowed to have a good phone, one holiday a year and new clothes at least once is absolutely appalling. Are poor people supposed to never be able to take a break from poverty and have the worst things because they are born poor?

Poverty is not a choice and poor people should have the right to enjoy life too. The few hundreds that they spend on a phone or a holiday doesn't come close to what they could save when house prices went up 91% in 8 years (these are real figures in Ireland) but their salaries didn't. Why are poor people supposed to suffer in silence when they simply want to buy a roof over their head?

The fact that some people in this thread are trying to justify the greed of a few at the cost of a basic need for humanity reeks of privilege and an absolute if not total lack of empathy.
I think your idea of poor and mine are different. I can't afford a holiday every year but I can pay my bills so I'm don't consider myself poor.

Reactions: 3

Where has anyone said that?

It's getting grim, blaming people and telling them they're a failure and it's their own fault they can't buy (read sign up for a few decades of debt) a home that has gone up many multiples while wages have stagnated.

Society seems programmed to say renters are not succeeding in life.

You have to be exceptional or have help to get something very ordinary these days. Having a parents home you can live in rent free while you live like someone in a developing country is not an option for many. Nore is it something to celebrate. It gets as stupid as the numpties that tell unemployed people that all they need to do is get a bike and travel 20 miles a day and then they'd have a job.
I would have happily rented. The only concern I had was what happens when you retire. Your landlord isn't going to stop charging you rent. My children will stay with me, ill charge them rent which will go into a savings account for them and I'll also make sure they're saving.

Probably not a popular opinion but life is about experiences too. If you save every penny you make from 18 or whatever to buy a house and dont get to experience travel, festivals, lovely meals out, nights out with friends etc all because youre saving so much.

Id hate to think home ownership is all my children will focus on and their youth will pass them by.

Youre not going to be on your death bed and wishing you travelled less or seen friends less.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Another way of looking at it
I have 3 children and they all lived at home with their partners moving in 🙄 while they saved for their own home. I didn't have any spare cash to help them, so by charging them just enough to cover the increase in bills etc that was my way of helping them

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Yel

How dare some people have modern living standards and take advantage of advancements! They should live in Victorian squalor to save a deposit 🙄.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
My children are at uni. The eldest has finished and is interviewing for jobs, he pays for everything else but we pay for his phone, same with my daughter. Once they're working full time they'll be paying for them.

I think your idea of poor and mine are different. I can't afford a holiday every year but I can pay my bills so I'm don't consider myself poor.
Since I lived in France and Ireland I saw different types of poor. So our definitions will indeed be completely different.

As someone who grew up dirt poor (ate the same food for days, had to wear hand-me-downs, couldn't afford basic bills) but now lives a very privileged life it angers me when people are blaming poor people for a problem created by wealthy people.

Reactions: 9
Probably not a popular opinion but life is about experiences too. If you save every penny you make from 18 or whatever to buy a house and dont get to experience travel, festivals, lovely meals out, nights out with friends etc all because youre saving so much.

Id hate to think home ownership is all my children will focus on and their youth will pass them by.

Youre not going to be on your death bed and wishing you travelled less or seen friends less.
Yes exactly what I’ve said - it’s about what you prioritise which is completely fair enough either way. It’s the fact people say “I can’t save” when they’re spending all this money on other things - it’s not that you can’t it’s that you’ve prioritised something else, which is fair enough!

Reactions: 3
8 years ago I was adamant I couldnt possibly save and owning was an unachievable dream. Admittedly we had phone contacts that wasnt exactly expensive, the cheapest tv package. I did drink at weekends (at home so cheaply) and buy take aways but aside from my car payments (cheap car just simply tax and insurance payments monthly) I didnt live a careless lifestyle.
Now over the last 4 years we have finally managed to save the deposit and the house prices are now what are making it unachievable to own.
Each time you go without and make do to save that little bit more the goal posts move again.
I come from poverty. My dad disappeared when I was 2 and my mum was a single mum for years until I became an adult. we had sod all. Since having children Iv gone to college and bettered myself which has left to a better job, my husbands had a huge promotion at work which means more money and weve still got sod all 😂. Unfortunately we dont all have parents to help us out while we are young with the cheap home lifestyle that affords us to save. But looking back 8 years if I'd know that owning is still out of reach I wouldnt have spent money any differently trying to save more. Because even by saving this past 4 years hasnt made any difference.

Hopefully this makes sense 😂 it's still early 🤦‍♀️

• Heart

Yel

it’s about what you prioritise which is completely fair enough either way. It’s the fact people say “I can’t save”
No it's not about prioritising or a choice, for many people it's mathematically impossible to save more than houses are rising or saving for a large enough deposit is at least a decade away.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Yes exactly what I’ve said - it’s about what you prioritise which is completely fair enough either way. It’s the fact people say “I can’t save” when they’re spending all this money on other things - it’s not that you can’t it’s that you’ve prioritised something else, which is fair enough!
no, you very clearly stated earlier upthread that it’s “easy” to save for a deposit. That people just need to stop spending on unnecessary things and then everyone would have money for a deposit. You said that. The back peddling now because you’ve been called out on your sweeping, Insulting generalisations is mind blowing.
if you’re in a hole, stop digging.

I feel like it sometimes works at the other end of the age spectrum too. I have had colleagues around retirement age to still have to work to continue to pay off their mortgage. I have found these people to be a little resentful of their mortgage free contemporaries. Same with people who want to move up the property ladder.

Having said that, Home ownership should not be at the expense of any enjoyment in life.

Reactions: 5
no, you very clearly stated earlier upthread that it’s “easy” to save for a deposit. That people just need to stop spending on unnecessary things and then everyone would have money for a deposit. You said that. The back peddling now because you’ve been called out on your sweeping, Insulting generalisations is mind blowing.
if you’re in a hole, stop digging.
Bit much to have a go. We all have opinions on things. Everybodies lifestyle is different, some can save others cant. My family are loaded and have four holidays a year and brand new cars, I haven't been on a plane for five years. I'm not bitter, they've worked hard for their money.

Reactions: 2
Exactly that’s my point… no need
Her phone contracts are for her kids, Who are at Uni. She’s paying for her kids to have phones while they study.
who the hell do you think you are to try to tell her this is ”unnecessary“ spending when you yourself have had help from your own family to get on the proper ladder?!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.