House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow I think you need to work on your attitude 🤦‍♂️

Simple, we prioritised. We bought our flat in our mid 20’s having both worked at university alongside studying, before going straight on to grad jobs.

We don’t go on fancy holidays as we’ve prioritised having a home, we don’t really go clubbing and we eat sensibly. We usually go for a meal each week at a nice restaurant but other than that we take lunch to work etc. It’s pretty easy to save if you want to.

Many people buy lunch every day - over a year assuming ÂŁ5 lunch and a 5 day working week thats ÂŁ1,200 (5 days, allowing for 20 days holiday). People pay ÂŁ50 a month for phones, pay crazy money for cars on finance, spend money on takeaways and it all adds up
Very judgemental, some people don't do all these things and still cannot save. Great that it worked for you, enjoy your lovely ÂŁ425K home but it is not 'pretty easy to save if you want to' for everyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Wow I think you need to work on your attitude 🤦‍♂️

Simple, we prioritised. We bought our flat in our mid 20’s having both worked at university alongside studying, before going straight on to grad jobs.

We don’t go on fancy holidays as we’ve prioritised having a home, we don’t really go clubbing and we eat sensibly. We usually go for a meal each week at a nice restaurant but other than that we take lunch to work etc. It’s pretty easy to save if you want to.

Many people buy lunch every day - over a year assuming ÂŁ5 lunch and a 5 day working week thats ÂŁ1,200 (5 days, allowing for 20 days holiday). People pay ÂŁ50 a month for phones, pay crazy money for cars on finance, spend money on takeaways and it all adds up
But where did you both live during Uni? where did you live after Uni, before you bought your flat?
it really isn’t that easy to save for the majority of people. People who from the age of 18 have had to pay their own way entirely, people who are having to pay their own rent/bills etc on low salaries, how on Earth can you claim it’s just so easy for those who only earn the minimum and when that only covers the cost of living?

you are speaking from a place of privilege, please remember that before making unfair sweeping statements like you have.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
No need to for the rudeness, just pointing out facts. Yeah I have lived in both of those…. FYI we’ve just sold out flat and have bought a house for 425k, it’s not that hard to save if you prioritise. I’m not yet 30 and haven’t had help from parents.

If people say they cannot save I don’t realistically agree, it’s that they prioritise other things such as going out, holidays etc (absolutely nothing wrong with that, we decided to forego that because we valued the home ownership more).
Some people's outgoings are as much as their wages, through no fault of their own , especially if they are already paying rent for their current home.

Reactions: 13
Very judgemental, some people don't do all these things and still cannot save. Great that it worked for you, enjoy your lovely ÂŁ425K home but it is not 'pretty easy to save if you want to' for everyone.
We can agree to disagree on that. Sure, it’s easier for some but it’s all down to choice.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
We can agree to disagree on that. Sure, it’s easier for some but it’s all down to choice.
No. No it isn’t all down to choice at all.

for example, some people come from fsmilies who have no money - who are living month to month and who just get by paying the essentials- no extra money, no way to save. This is a reality. This is not unusual, this is how a large proportion of real people live. So, if you grow up in a household where there is no additional money floating around and your leave home at 18 and you find a job and pay rent on a flat or a house and you yourself are just earning enough to pay your bills and no more….. please explain how exactly that’s “all down to choice”

Reactions: 20
But where did you both live during Uni? where did you live after Uni, before you bought your flat?
it really isn’t that easy to save for the majority of people. People who from the age of 18 have had to pay their own way entirely, people who are having to pay their own rent/bills etc on low salaries, how on Earth can you claim it’s just so easy for those who only earn the minimum and when that only covers the cost of living?

you are speaking from a place of privilege, please remember that before making unfair sweeping statements like you have.
At uni I lived in halls and then rented with other students (this is why I worked part time during uni). After uni I lived at home for 1 year, paying ÂŁ300 a
Month to live at home (cheaper than renting granted but still led to having to choose where to spend money). I then rented for two years but chose a cheap little 1 bed flat because I had no need for anything bigger and wanted to save more.

I’ve worked since I was 14 (paper round). I was earning £40 a week from doing that and covering the odd round, plus I worked in a supermarket for 10-20 hours a week on top of this for 12 months. I also earnt money by going around peoples houses and asking if they had any tasks they wanted doing (anything from gardening, housework or cleaning cars) when I had time.

Reactions: 1
At uni I lived in halls and then rented with other students (this is why I worked part time during uni). After uni I lived at home for 1 year, paying ÂŁ300 a
Month to live at home (cheaper than renting granted but still led to having to choose where to spend money). I then rented for two years but chose a cheap little 1 bed flat because I had no need for anything bigger and wanted to save more.

I’ve worked since I was 14 (paper round). I was earning £40 a week from doing that and covering the odd round, plus I worked in a supermarket for 10-20 hours a week on top of this for 12 months. I also earnt money by going around peoples houses and asking if they had any tasks they wanted doing (anything from gardening, housework or cleaning cars) when I had time.
Who paid the rent for your halls at Uni? Who paid the rent/living costs when you lived in a house share? When you lived at home you only paid ÂŁ300 to stay there?

can you not see where I’m coming from? You are lucky that you had these options. A lot of people do not and it is through no fault of their own and it’s really not as simple as saying people make a choice between putting money into savings or buying a Starbucks everyday. For a lot of people there is no money to put anywhere because what they earn only covers basic living costs and there is no financial buffer from family/parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Lucky you had parents who let you live at home for a year for only ÂŁ300 per month - far cheaper than renting somewhere and paying bills. Then lucky you had a job where you could afford a 1 bed flat with cash left over to save. Many people could not do either of these things and both of them are privileged positions to be in.

Sure - some people do not own a home because they have prioritised other things, nothing wrong with that - owning a home is not the be all and end all, some don’t want to own and would prefer the lovey holidays!

But for for many people it is not just a case of priorities not being on saving or owning a home - they simply don’t have a choice. Minimum wage does not get you far in many parts of the UK and they are probably unable to save any significant amount.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Who paid the rent for your halls at Uni? Who paid the rent/living costs when you lived in a house share? When you lived at home you only paid ÂŁ300 to stay there?

can you not see where I’m coming from? You are lucky that you had these options. A lot of people do not and it is through no fault of their own and it’s really not as simple as saying people make a choice between putting money into savings or buying a Starbucks everyday. For a lot of people there is no money to put anywhere because what they earn only covers basic living costs and there is no financial buffer from family/parents.
Me - I did. I see where you’re coming from but I stand by what I say. If you want something there’s always a way to achieve. Don’t spend on things you don’t need to if you really want to own a house. Buy a flat if you can’t afford a house and don’t want to rent. Go and earn extra money from a second job, or do a qualification in your spare time.

It’s the same as people saying “I don’t have time to exercise”. You do, you just prioritise going out with friends, watching tv etc (again nothing wrong with doing that but it’s the fact that not having time is a tit excuse).

Lucky you had parents who let you live at home for a year for only ÂŁ300 per month - far cheaper than renting somewhere and paying bills. Then lucky you had a job where you could afford a 1 bed flat with cash left over to save. Many people could not do either of these things and both of them are privileged positions to be in.

Sure - some people do not own a home because they have prioritised other things, nothing wrong with that - owning a home is not the be all and end all, some don’t want to own and would prefer the lovey holidays!

But for for many people it is not just a case of priorities not being on saving or owning a home - they simply don’t have a choice. Minimum wage does not get you far in many parts of the UK and they are probably unable to save any significant amount.

I wouldn’t say I’m privileged because I worked hard at school, worked in my spare time, was sensible with money, worked hard at my degree and then got a graduate job after spending my whole life working towards it?

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Me - I did. I see where you’re coming from but I stand by what I say. If you want something there’s always a way to achieve. Don’t spend on things you don’t need to if you really want to own a house. Buy a flat if you can’t afford a house and don’t want to rent. Go and earn extra money from a second job, or do a qualification in your spare time.

It’s the same as people saying “I don’t have time to exercise”. You do, you just prioritise going out with friends, watching tv etc (again nothing wrong with doing that but it’s the fact that not having time is a tit excuse).

I wouldn’t say I’m privileged because I worked hard at school, worked in my spare time, was sensible with money, worked hard at my degree and then got a graduate job after spending my whole life working towards it?
You’re privileged because you lived at home paying £300 a month which massively helped you save for a house, not because you studied hard, that’s what @JLXRD said

• Heart
Reactions: 15
To be fair the difference between the small 1 bed flat actually wasn’t as much as you’d expect (it was a bit of a crappy area and wasn’t in great condition).

But as I originally said on my post I accept that part was fortunate. But that is minor compared to everything else I’ve put in to owning the home and getting the job I have

You are completely missing the point. This isn’t a personal attack on you. But you need to accept and understand that sometimes, for some people, it is NOT a choice. It is not about working really hard and getting a second job, you cannot seriously be this naive?

for example

my sister is a nurse. She earns something like £25K a year, for argument sake. She rents a flat. Her rent/bills Etc etc etc consumes all of her monthly salary. All of it. It’s all gone. No money for savings, no money for “extras” no additional money at all for anything other than basic living. she doesn’t have a car, she doesn’t go on holidays, she shops at Aldi, she never buys new clothes or new anything, she works bloody hard yknow, saving lives, and keeping her head above water to keep all her bills paid etc

are you seriously trying to say she’s not doing enough? That she should work harder? Get another job?

I think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses and take a look around.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You are privileged to have parents who allowed you to move home and pay next to nothing to do so though, don’t you agree?

And also without knowing your background, I can’t comment on whether you are privileged to have those things but your social and economic background (which you were born into) definitely affects your prospects in terms of universities, tapping into potential academically, etc.

Imagine for a moment you grew up with parents who were not very good with money - who didn’t encourage you at school, etc. You are behind when you initially start school as your parents have not put any time into teaching you at home.

No one in your family has been to university nor do they encourage or expect you to. Your parents have minimum wage jobs and have never discussed you having more. Maybe you are bullied at school and don’t want to spend time there.

Then it would be quite hard to get into a good university - you likely wouldn’t. Unless of course, you find a teacher or other role mode to nurture and encourage you.

Did you have all of these obstacles in terms of your background? No? Well then you are privileged.

You seem to keep saying about being sensible with money, but I’m not sure quite what you mean there in terms of someone on a lower wage than yourself. We need people to do the minimum wage jobs, not everyone will be able to have a highly paid role. If their rent on a small flat is a large portion of their wage, where are they to find money to save?

• Heart
Clearly some people have taken this as a personal attack when I was simply making a point that a lot of people who say they can’t buy couldn’t if they really prioritised.

Everyone is different and has different circumstances so what I said of course will not apply to everybody. However I stand by the fact that if people want to buy, a lot of the time they can (after saving hardcore for a few years obviously). Whether people want to prioritise this over the lifestyle they currently have is a completely different argument and that is down to each person, I can completely understand both points of view on that one.

Not going to reply on this topic further as people have taken it as an attack when that wasn’t the case, so apologies for any offence caused on that.

Reactions: 4
Clearly some people have taken this as a personal attack when I was simply making a point that a lot of people who say they can’t buy couldn’t if they really prioritised.

Everyone is different and has different circumstances so what I said of course will not apply to everybody. However I stand by the fact that if people want to buy, a lot of the time they can (after saving hardcore for a few years obviously). Whether people want to prioritise this over the lifestyle they currently have is a completely different argument and that is down to each person, I can completely understand both points of view on that one.

Not going to reply on this topic further as people have taken it as an attack when that wasn’t the case, so apologies for any offence caused on that.
You are still not getting it.

sometimes people CANNOT make saving money - for a mortgage or for anything else - a priority because they only have enough money coming in to make PAYING THEIR ESSENTIAL BILLS A PRIORITY.

I think you’ve said it all when you made the point that you chose to rent a flat in a “crappy area” which wasn’t in great condition. Some people don’t have a choice. The fact that you had a choice, is the entire point.

Reactions: 18

sometimes people CANNOT make saving money - for a mortgage or for anything else - a priority because they only have enough money coming in to make PAYING THEIR ESSENTIAL BILLS A PRIORITY.

I think you’ve said it all when you made the point that you chose to rent a flat in a “crappy area” which wasn’t in great condition. Some people don’t have a choice. The fact that you had a choice, is the entire point.
100%. Choice in itself is a privilege.

Reactions: 12

You seem to have taken it more personally than anyone else - I’m not offended, your points don’t apply to me personally (the fact that you have assumed because people disagree they must not own their own home and therefore are offended speaks volumes) but I just think your attitude is one that I have seen many times among people who have had no obstacles in life.

I don’t think anyone is offended, more saddened that people truly believe that the cycle of poverty is something you can just decide to escape.

• Heart

Yeah this is what I have just said on my last post, I was talking generally of course what I said doesn’t apply to everyone.

In terms of the choice element, most people who rent choose the property they rent?

Anyway as I said, I’ll stop commenting for now and apologies for those I’ve offended.

And for those wondering my family actually grew up on benefits, neither went uni and neither were in well paid jobs. The fact you’ve assumed the opposite “speaks volumes”

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.