House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Weve been looking for the past year and the house prices round here have trebled in price in the past year alone. Some of the houses on the worst street can go for between 5k-10k usually (awful houses damp with the copper pipes ripped out by criminals etc) are now priced at 50k+ that's how mad the prices have shot up recently.
We have been given a decision in principle for upto £110k which for our earnings is fair but I'd never be able to justify the house youd get for that price at the moment. So it looks like we will be continuing to rent for another couple of years until the madness ends. It was difficult enough for us to manage to raise the deposit that we have and get a decision in principle as it is without then having the rug pulled under us with the state of the market currently. Its disheartening. No sooner is something listed that its been sold. Literally within hours. First time buyers just stand no chance at the minute it's all being snapped up by investors
Where about s do you like for houses to be so cheap? The cheapest where I live is 250k. Currently priced out and rents are skyrocketing…….

Reactions: 2
In a very run down poor area on the coast
Thanks for getting back to me.
Do you think the bubbble is go8 g to burst?
I am of an age where I do recall houses being affordable, though I was too young to buy one as I was still at school. This is back I. The day where 50p for a loaf of bread from the local garage was co soldered an expensive waste of. Money 🤣😂🤣
The last 20 years have really screwed a generation of people.

I live in a 3 bed detached house, it's owned outright and was our pension fund, we want to move to a 2 bed bungalow but they are 50 thousand more than our house in the same area, so that's that plan out of the window

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
A friend looked at buying a house on my street, literally a few doors down from me. It has gone for at least £70,000 more than I paid for mine 4 years ago.. even taking into account the average rise of house prices in our area of the uk, offers have gone way past that. I can’t imagine the mortgage valuation would be approved but even if it was I’d be terrified of ending up in negative equity. It really is madness at the moment.

Reactions: 6
A friend looked at buying a house on my street, literally a few doors down from me. It has gone for at least £70,000 more than I paid for mine 4 years ago.. even taking into account the average rise of house prices in our area of the uk, offers have gone way past that. I can’t imagine the mortgage valuation would be approved but even if it was I’d be terrified of ending up in negative equity. It really is madness at the moment.
Lenders valuation compared to what buyer will pay aren’t always the same. If people are over paying it doesn’t make it actually worth anymore to the bank.

Reactions: 1
My mom bought the land for our house at 30,000€ in the early 2000s and built it for under 200k. The same house and the others in the area now start at 1 Million. Which means that not a single original buyer in our neighbourhood would have been able to buy it. Pure madness

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I live in a 3 bed detached house, it's owned outright and was our pension fund, we want to move to a 2 bed bungalow but they are 50 thousand more than our house in the same area, so that's that plan out of the window
That’s the same where I am. My grandparents wanted a 2 bed bungalow and it was cheaper for them to buy a 4 bed detached house. It’s a joke. My mortgage is double what a bungalows would be and I’m in a 3 storey new build (£180k). There’s just no logic in these prices especially when bungalows are often made for the disabled/elderly. The worlds gone mad!

Bungalows are always in high demand as they’re popular with those with mobility issues. Developers rarely build them though as they don’t make sense, need more land for the same square footage as a 4 bed, so always attract a premium, genuinely can’t remember when I saw any new build bungalows (that weren’t a one off build by someone who had bought their own land)

Found a house I liked made an arrangement to view it and a few hours later they cancelled as they had accepted an offer 😞 no more for sale in the area and haven’t been many recently

• Sad
My mom bought the land for our house at 30,000€ in the early 2000s and built it for under 200k. The same house and the others in the area now start at 1 Million. Which means that not a single original buyer in our neighbourhood would have been able to buy it. Pure madness
My mums in a similar position. Her and my dad bought their house as an ex-council house for £65k in the late 90s… had it valued recently, needs a lot of work done but even before that it was valued at £675. Crazy.

• Wow
Bungalows are always in high demand as they’re popular with those with mobility issues. Developers rarely build them though as they don’t make sense, need more land for the same square footage as a 4 bed, so always attract a premium, genuinely can’t remember when I saw any new build bungalows (that weren’t a one off build by someone who had bought their own land)
Absolutely this. They use more land so cost more. 2 bed house will take approx 50% less footprint than a 2 bed bungalow.

Bungalows where I live have always attracted a price premium. Its unfortunate.

Reactions: 3
Where in a rented property wouldn’t you have to pay council or bills?!!! Have you ever rented before?!!!! if you rent your home you are not exempt from paying bills - you still have to pay council tax, utility bills etc as you would if you owned the property. The only exception perhaps would be for students (who don’t have to pay council tax) or people living in a house share rental where they will pay a proportion of all bills combined with rent - rather than having their own separate household bills in their own name.
That’s why I said sometimes…

As for utility bills I don’t quite get the point? You’re living there so the amount your bill is depends on your usage? Why would someone else say bills included when you could leave all taps on, leave the heating on all day? If you rent you should pay for your bills still

That’s why I said sometimes…

As for utility bills I don’t quite get the point? You’re living there so the amount your bill is depends on your usage? Why would someone else say bills included when you could leave all taps on, leave the heating on all day? If you rent you should pay for your bills still
have you ever lived in a rented property or in a house share??

you said upthread that sometimes people living in rented housing don’t always have to pay bills.

that’s not the case.

my point here is that sometimes if you are a student and you are living in a shared house then you pay an equal proportion of all the utility bills. you don’t each get sent a gas bill, electric bill etc - you just pay an amount ontop of your rent to cover your share of bills. That would be the only reason why it may appear that people living in rentals “sometimes don’t pay bills” which was what you said earlier.

the point is; everyone has to pay their utility bills!!! 😂

you said upthread that sometimes people living in rented housing don’t always have to pay bills.

that’s not the case.

my point here is that sometimes if you are a student and you are living in a shared house then you pay an equal proportion of all the utility bills. you don’t each get sent a gas bill, electric bill etc - you just pay an amount ontop of your rent to cover your share of bills. That would be the only reason why it may appear that people living in rentals “sometimes don’t pay bills” which was what you said earlier.

The bills get paid, but you don’t always ‘pay the bills’ in shared houses/HMOs - I’ve lived in a few over the years, and just paid my rent in all. That includes water, electric, council tax etc…

that’s not the case.

No need to for the rudeness, just pointing out facts. Yeah I have lived in both of those…. FYI we’ve just sold out flat and have bought a house for 425k, it’s not that hard to save if you prioritise. I’m not yet 30 and haven’t had help from parents.

If people say they cannot save I don’t realistically agree, it’s that they prioritise other things such as going out, holidays etc (absolutely nothing wrong with that, we decided to forego that because we valued the home ownership more).

• Wow
  • Haha
The bills get paid, but you don’t always ‘pay the bills’ in shared houses/HMOs - I’ve lived in a few over the years, and just paid my rent in all. That includes water, electric, council tax etc…
Yes. That’s exactly the point I’m trying to make. You pay bills but it’s all together in one payment which includes the rent. You are not exempt from paying the bills.

House sales by me have gone crazy… it’s in an OK area, not super good and the houses are very average 3 bed semis… they are all being sold within days?! For about 60k over what we would have thought.

we have been low key looking for a little upgrade, nothing fancy, detatched, bigger garden etc in a similar area

what would you do? Sell whilst we can get a very good price for the house? But then buy a house which is way more than we should buy it for. Sell and then rent for a bit until things settle down? Just wait for the market to settle down? It’s confusing 😬

No need to for the rudeness, just pointing out facts. Yeah I have lived in both of those…. FYI we’ve just sold out flat and have bought a house for 425k, it’s not that hard to save if you prioritise. I’m not yet 30 and haven’t had help from parents.

If people say they cannot save I don’t realistically agree, it’s that they prioritise other things such as going out, holidays etc (absolutely nothing wrong with that, we decided to forego that because we valued the home ownership more).
I don’t care about what you have or haven’t bought, I haven’t mentioned anything about saving/how easy it may be to save. Nothing!!!! You haven’t had help from parents.….
ok so how have you saved money for a deposit?!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don’t care about what you have or haven’t bought, I haven’t mentioned anything about saving/how easy it may be to save. Nothing!!!! You haven’t had help from parents.….
ok so how have you saved money for a deposit?!
Wow I think you need to work on your attitude 🤦‍♂️

Simple, we prioritised. We bought our flat in our mid 20’s having both worked at university alongside studying, before going straight on to grad jobs.

We don’t go on fancy holidays as we’ve prioritised having a home, we don’t really go clubbing and we eat sensibly. We usually go for a meal each week at a nice restaurant but other than that we take lunch to work etc. It’s pretty easy to save if you want to.

Many people buy lunch every day - over a year assuming £5 lunch and a 5 day working week thats £1,200 (5 days, allowing for 20 days holiday). People pay £50 a month for phones, pay crazy money for cars on finance, spend money on takeaways and it all adds up

• Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.